WidenersLoad DataInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLee Precision
Repackbox Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: reloading 45 ACP 200 gn Wadcutter HELP

Boolit Mold

reloading 45 ACP 200 gn Wadcutter HELP

I am experienced reloading rifle cartridges. I know how to find the best powder charge, neck tension, find the lands and test for the best seating depth, etc. None of my experience seems to transfer to reloading 45 ACP with 200 gn lead wadcutters for accuracy at 25 and 50 yards.

Headspace is determined by case length, but no one seems to measure and trim their cases.
    Is seating depth strictly determined by OAL or is there a tuning process?
    The bullet manufacturer recommends a light crimp, I have made some dummy rounds and they set to cycle well enough. The crimp is definitely less that factory ball info.... am I on the right track?

I am used to being able to measure everything, this seem more like an art..... a few pointers would be greatly appreciated

Thanks,

John

Boolit Master
    Best way to check for correct length is to remove the barrel from your pistol and to seat bullet depth so that the case head is flush with the barrel hood. I’m of the opinion that the .45 acp head spaces on the bullet.
    Last edited by txbirdman; 10-05-2022 at 03:21 PM. Reason: Spelling correction.

Boolit Master
    I am only accustomed to loading the H&G 68 SWC 200g. One thing I do is leave about .060 of the front driving band exposed, this will generally give you some “preload” engagement into the rifling, and makes case length consistency less problematic. I also use a Lee factory crimp die, which is easy to adjust for optimal head space in your pistol.

5.0 gr W231 will yield one ragged hole in my guns at 25 yds and shoots better than I can hold at 50.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by txbirdman View Post
    Best way to check for correct length is to remove the barrel from your pistol and to seat bullet depth so that the case head is flush with the barrel hood. I’m of the opinion that the .45 acp head spaces on the bullet.
    I have been messing around with this a bit, thank you

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by HWooldridge View Post
    I am only accustomed to loading the H&G 68 SWC 200g. One thing I do is leave about .060 of the front driving band exposed, this will generally give you some “preload” engagement into the rifling, and makes case length consistency less problematic. I also use a Lee factory crimp die, which is easy to adjust for optimal head space in your pistol.

5.0 gr W231 will yield one ragged hole in my guns at 25 yds and shoots better than I can hold at 50.

I have left the bearing surface slightly above the case mouth (I think that’s what you were suggesting)
    I also use the Lee crimp die, I can still feel the case mouth but it seems to feed okay when I cycle by hand

Bullseye is the only powder I could find, gonna start about 4.0

Thanks for the info

I won many PPC matches that went from 7 yards out to 50 using a 200SWC and Bullseye, so you're on the right track.

Boolit Buddy
    I also load a H&G 68 clone in my 45ACP target/plinking ammo. I also leave about .050" of the front driving band exposed and taper crimp to .468" at the case mouth. I don't load mine as light as the 4gr bullseye level but hot enough to make major which is 875fps. 4gr of bullseye is what would be called a soft ball load for paper punching and may not function with standard recoil springs. In 1911's we had to run 10-12# recoil springs instead of the normal 16# spring.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt H View Post
    I also load a H&G 68 clone in my 45ACP target/plinking ammo. I also leave about .050" of the front driving band exposed and taper crimp to .468" at the case mouth. I don't load mine as light as the 4gr bullseye level but hot enough to make major which is 875fps. 4gr of bullseye is what would be called a soft ball load for paper punching and may not function with standard recoil springs. In 1911's we had to run 10-12# recoil springs instead of the normal 16# spring.
    This is going to be target shooting, one hand at 25 & 50 yards. I am looking for accuracy and more manageable recoil. I picked the 4.0 from the Lee's Modern Reloading (lowest starting charge).

I was thinking that I should concentrate on the accuracy and change springs if I have cycling issues.....am I going in the wrong direction?

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by 243winxb View Post
    I have mine seated much deeper than that

Seating depth in rifle bullets makes a difference in horizontal spread, some guys jam the bullets into the lands. I know how to measure all that

Boolit Master
    I've seen published data for PPC .45 ACP as low as 3.5/Bullseye/185 gr. LSWC, but I'm betting that such loads involve custom springs and other modifications. I shot a lot of 4.0/Bullseye/200 gr. LSWC when I was competing in falling plate contests. The load will function in my 1911 with a stock recoil spring, but not if it is brand-new.
    Concerning the seating depth with the 200 gr. LSWCs, I've ended up relying on a "rule of thumb" (and this is going to sound stupid) that the shoulder of the projectile extends above the case mouth ~1/32", or about the thickness of the average thumbnail (I TOLD y'all it'd sound stupid). The distances depicted in the pictures shown are different in my loads (~.935"), but probably close enough that it doesn't matter.
    To solve other issues, I ended up taper-crimping my ammo in a separate step using a Redding die. It shrunk my groups noticeably.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

This post may get long....

We have a wonderful machine shop,very blessed. Have made a truckload of handloading and cast tools N whatnots. Also have a bunch of 1911's.

Yes,you can find.... and exceed "jam" length on a SWC 1911,to very good effect. I was making up a new top punch a few years ago for some new to me mould? Can't remember which one? Anyway in that process I was trying to get a precision fit between this new TP and the sizing die(Lyman 450 luber). The very bttm of this TP came to an almost knife edge,right where it interfaces with the bullet's WC shoulder. At first it looked like an "oops",went a little too far on that one.... backing up,the goal was a TP that did not touch the bullet nose but worked entirely on the shoulder.

But what the hey,I tried it anyway knowing it could always be made shorter. Sure enough,once it was all adjusted this TP put a very repeatable V cut right at the juncture of nose to shoulder. Little(lot) more involved but hopefully you get the picture...

Working with a beautiful,highly smithed 1911 Commander that thinks itself a BE rig...... I kept adding OAL until it just wasn't going into battery. Think of this as "jam",or "touch"...plus. Pretty much the same as a rifle. Once I got the OAL set to juuuust short of tying it up, is when it became apparent. The problem/s with jam and a 1911 is,or are many... gets complex. But because of the V,there is a collapse/crush so to speak on the chamber's leade when going into battery. Here's where your guns springing comes into play..... doh.

This "ain't" obviously for SD ammo,or anything like that. It's about cranking out loads for obliterating X's.. impress your buddy's,take their lunch money stuff. So yes,you can find and use "jam" on a SWC 1911.... good luck with your project.

Rimless auto pistol ammo headspaces on the case mouth. You shouldn't crimp either, except for maybe a light taper crimp that takes out any flare from the seating step.

I've never done full WC in an auto pistol but the semi-wadcutters can have issues chambering. You'll have to play with the seating depths a bit in order to figure that one out. Any time I load SWC, they generally turn out to be pretty accurate but some pistols just really don't like 'em. Others handle them just fine.

--Wag--
    "Great genius will always encounter fierce opposition from mediocre minds." --Albert Einstein.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by jscanga View Post
    I am experienced reloading rifle cartridges. I know how to find the best powder charge, neck tension, find the lands and test for the best seating depth, etc. None of my experience seems to transfer to reloading 45 ACP with 200 gn lead wadcutters for accuracy at 25 and 50 yards.

Headspace is determined by case length, but no one seems to measure and trim their cases.

>>>SNIP
    First question is, are you loading Full Wadcutters? or Semi Wadcutters?

While there are a few people who trim pistol cases, most don't. Pistol cases do not grow like Necked rifle cases do during FL sizing. If fact, they can actually shrink (ever so slightly). Basically, if you are shooting a pistol at typical pistol distances, then slight case length variation doesn't matter, as long as your finished ammo will reliably chamber in your gun.
    that's my 2¢
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Wag View Post
    Rimless auto pistol ammo headspaces on the case mouth. You shouldn't crimp either, except for maybe a light taper crimp that takes out any flare from the seating step.

I've never done full WC in an auto pistol but the semi-wadcutters can have issues chambering. You'll have to play with the seating depths a bit in order to figure that one out. Any time I load SWC, they generally turn out to be pretty accurate but some pistols just really don't like 'em. Others handle them just fine.

--Wag--
    Yep, My Ruger American will not cycle a H&G 68...or any of the clones.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Wag View Post

--Wag--
    Agreed.. autoloader rimless loads crimp on the case mouth.. and yes.. taper crimp.

I use a lyman loading block to check my loads.

Boolit Master
    You can headspace off of
    !. The case mouth
    2. The boolet
    2. The extractor

Your assignment, should you wish to accept it, is to do the plunk test with both a loaded round and a case that has only been resized. If the loaded round passes the plunk test but the case only doesn't , you are probably headspacing off the boolet. If neither one passes you could be headspacing off the extractor.

FWIW when I did this on my wadcutter gun I found that I was headspacing off the extractor. Just for fun I started moving the bullet out until I was headspacing off the boolet. The mold is a Saeco 5G and by the time it was headspacing off the boolet I could see the upper portion of the top lube groove above the case mouth. My normal COL for boolets from this mold is 1.155 inches.
    Some times it's the pot,
    Some times it's the pan,
    It might even be the skillet,
    But, most of the time, it's the cook.

Boolit Mold
    I loaded up more dummy rounds:
    I cranked my seating die out a bit, when I dropped the rounds into the barrel they too long and stuck out past the barrel hood. An empty case was almost exactly flush with the barrel hood. I found that I had to seat them to where the bearing surface is just above the case mouth for them to be flush with the barrel hood.
    I loaded five rounds each 4.0g to 5.0g in .1 increments. I dropped each round in the barrel to check that they were flush with the barrel hood (until I am comfortable with the process).

I don't think I have done anything dangerously wrong.

Gonna try and test tomorrow and hope for the best

Boolit Master

Headspacing off the bullet *can* do strange things sometimes. Case mouth, shoulder..even the rim, or case taper are the ways I like.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundguy View Post
    Headspacing off the bullet *can* do strange things sometimes. Case mouth, shoulder..even the rim, or case taper are the ways I like.
    I believe I am headspaceing off the case mouth

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast