Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
RepackboxInline FabricationWidenersLoad Data
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Marlin 336 XLR 30-30 (2014 REMLIN)

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TXCOONDOG View Post
    Here's an update:

After trying several loads (and confirming repeatability) with the Hornady 160 FTX (LE, Varget, and 3031), the best consistent load would only produce 2.230" five shot group at 100 yds.

I cast the Lee C309-170-F (GC) using 50/50 pure/COWW alloy, powder coated and sized .310" using LE powder (best was 35.5grains @ 2316FPS) produced 2" groups and 3031 (26 @ 1882 & 26.5 @ 1892 same group sizes) produced 1.450" five shot groups at 100 yds with no leading. Not sure what the 30-30 is capable of with casts as far as best accuracy, but they have already outperformed the 160 FTX on paper.

I'm going to try sizing the casts to .311" and see what I get using the same powders, primers (Fed 210), etc.
    That is outstanding!!!

Good job.
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy
    I'm only as far as I am because of the outstanding help and information provided by the forum members. I expected a 2-3" POI difference between J-words and cast but there is actually an 8-10" drop (cast) between the two.

At first, my groups were all over the place until I realized that my sling swivel studs were catching/hitting my front/rear rest. Once I removed them, the groups became tighter and consistent.

I'm going to continue playing around with loads, perfecting my casting technique, etc. to hone my skills to be a better shooter, caster and reloader.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12