Snyders JerkyLoad DataWidenersReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marlin 336 XLR 30-30 (2014 REMLIN)

Boolit Buddy

Marlin 336 XLR 30-30 (2014 REMLIN)

I took this rifle in on a trade deal and was wanting to cast some boolits for it. It has a 1:12 twist and will be my first rifle using cast boolits. The plan is to plink, but I may hunt hogs and deer.

Suggestions/recommendations:

1. Boolit mould(s)
    2. Powder coat (my most used method), lube, etc
    3. BHN and/or will I need to use a gas check?
    4. Powders

Any additional provided information, etc is welcome.

Boolit Master
    TX:

Get the Lyman cast bullet book.
    Lee 150 or 170 moulds are a good start.
    I powder coat.
    Wheel weights + pure lead - 50/50.
    Use gas checks 'till you have it figured out.
    Trail Boss for plinkin', IMR3031 et al for huntin'.

Have fun.

Boolit Buddy
    I ordered the Lyman book. Forgot to mention my bore slugs at .3085 so I'll cast, powder coat and size to .310" -.311"

I appreciate the reply.

Boolit Buddy
    I ordered the Lee 309-150 & 170 molds and the bullet sizing dies. I have a 21st Centry expander die along with .308", .309",.310", .311" & .314" mandrels. Since I'm sizing to .310/.311", will .002" neck tension enough to not have to crimp or what is recommended?

I do have a Lee FCD, if needed.

Boolit Grand Master
    IIFC, 311041 was designed for the .30-30. I like it. Good meplat for hunting, too.

For my last Marlin 30-30, I found that the Lee C309170F sized to .311" shot well with 3031 and 4320. I tried .309" first but wasn't pleased.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

About crimping.
    Load 7 Empty cases in the tube. Slowly lower the lever, remove or guide the lifted case into the bore, slowly operate the lever and watch the speed at which the following round gets slammed onto the lowered lifter. That is why you might consider a crimp.
    Think on the added force applied to those rounds when loaded.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Buddy
    Good stuff all. I was having feeding issues but took everything apart and removed the tooling marks (600 & 1400 grit sandpaper) on the lever, carrier and bolt and what a difference that made. The trigger is between 5-6lbs (5.5 lb average), but would like a pull of 3-4lbs.

Any recommendations on a reduced hammer spring or will that cause light primer strikes?

Boolit Grand Master

If the XLR has the rifle length barrel, then I suggest LeveRevolution powder with that Lee 170 gr bullet. Try 35.5 gr. It will be under the SAAMI MAP psi wise as I have measured it under the 311041. Velocity should run 2200 to 2300 fps and accuracy should be very good in the 12" twist.

A crimp will be needed with a tube fed action.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Buddy
    For pure plinking the Lee 311-100-2R unsized tumble lubed and loaded with a small amount of fast burning, flake type pistol/shotgun powder will work in just about any 30 caliber rifle. Doesn't get much simpler than that. Don't know if it will feed from a tube mag though don't have one in 30 cal.

Just flare the mouth so you don't get lead shaving when seating. Use the FCD to remove the flare. I use a 309 expander and size bullets to 311. Yes, 2 thous is fine for tension. Don't reduce the hammer spring. I put a 'happy' trigger in mine,4# is good. LeverE, 4895 or 3031 re good. Unique/2400/red dot for fun plinking.
    Whatever!

Boolit Buddy
    Do ya'll Fl resize, neck size only or bump your brass shoulders? Just curious what has worked best in your lever actions

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    If the XLR has the rifle length barrel, then I suggest LeveRevolution powder with that Lee 170 gr bullet. Try 35.5 gr. It will be under the SAAMI MAP psi wise as I have measured it under the 311041. Velocity should run 2200 to 2300 fps and accuracy should be very good in the 12" twist.

A crimp will be needed with a tube fed action.
    Yeah, it has the 24" barrel. I've been looking for LE powder all over for month with no luck. Will start with R15 since I have over 8lbs. I also have H335, Varget, & H4198. I also have lots of difference pistol powders to use for plinking loads.

FL size. SIL has the Marlin version, very accurate rifle. Marlin has the floppy trigger, some spring take-up, then crisp break. Happy gets rid of the spring and has actual bushings on the trigger parts. Much better but I kinda like the Marlin, apply pressure when deciding the shot. It does have to lift the hammer a bit. Happy reduces that.
    Haven't seen LeverE anywhere lately, I got a couple #s I use for the 160 FTX. 335 work OK but Varget didn't like my rifles.
    Whatever!

Boolit Buddy
    I thought that I had 4k of the Fed 210 primers, but they were large pistol. I only have 500 LRP so I spent most of the day looking for LRP's with no luck, but I did find SRP and IMR 3031.

Being down on LRP's, I'll start with 3031 since it is regarded as being one of the best powders for 30-30.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by TXCOONDOG View Post
    Yeah, it has the 24" barrel. I've been looking for LE powder all over for month with no luck. Will start with R15 since I have over 8lbs. I also have H335, Varget, & H4198. I also have lots of difference pistol powders to use for plinking loads.
    Any of those powders will certainly work for standard 30-30 loads. Plenty of data available, particularly in Lyman's CBHs.

I NS the cases with my plinking and small game loads as the psi isn't enough to expand the cases other than the necks. For full power loads, cast or jacketed bullets, I FL size with a RCBS X-die adjusted to just size and set the shoulder back so the case actually headspaces on the shoulder. The X-die also prevents case stretch (actually elongation) during sizing and maintains case OAL so trimming is not needed.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Buddy
    What's a happy trigger?

Boolit Man
    Wild West Guns Happy trigger kit

https://www.wildwestguns.com/product/trigger-happy-kit/

Sent from my moto g stylus 5G using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Here's an update:

After trying several loads (and confirming repeatability) with the Hornady 160 FTX (LE, Varget, and 3031), the best consistent load would only produce 2.230" five shot group at 100 yds.

I cast the Lee C309-170-F (GC) using 50/50 pure/COWW alloy, powder coated and sized .310" using LE powder (best was 35.5grains @ 2316FPS) produced 2" groups and 3031 (26 @ 1882 & 26.5 @ 1892 same group sizes) produced 1.450" five shot groups at 100 yds with no leading. Not sure what the 30-30 is capable of with casts as far as best accuracy, but they have already outperformed the 160 FTX on paper.

I'm going to try sizing the casts to .311" and see what I get using the same powders, primers (Fed 210), etc.
    Last edited by TXCOONDOG; 03-09-2023 at 03:02 PM.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Dude, you're rockin' it!!
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast