Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
RepackboxReloading EverythingWidenersLee Precision
Inline Fabrication

Thread: New with a 'F-CLASS .22 BR' at 100 yards...

New with a 'F-CLASS .22 BR' at 100 yards...

Well...it's been a while since I posted anything about shooting the CZ452 at 50 yards. To tell the truth, it started to become more of a habit instead of an adventure on the 50. Maybe I could continue to shrink my groups if I doggedly stayed with it but I needed to stretch it out so that I have that big challenge again just as it was when I started my other thread... New to using a 'F-CLASS BR' at 50 yards...
    https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...BR-at-50-yards.

I've seen so many people posting groups they've shot on the 100 and saying how challenging it is to maintain small groups, saying how the wind is so much crueler, how the input of the shooter needs even further refinement...basically saying how everything is more of a challenge. So...I needed that.
    I couldn't back up another 50 yards and move my bench back there and use my current backstop, that'd put me out in my pasture and behind that fence forcing me to build an elevated platform. That was tempting but just out of the question.

What I did do was to move a little farther down hill from my 50 yard bench and build another lane all together, pushing the backstop back another 50 yards instead.
    I built another bench and poured a nice concrete pad and created a new 100 yard lane...

The 50 yard bench is about 35 yards uphill & behind you as you look at this bench. The lanes run parallel. While I was doing the concrete work I poured a nice concrete pad for that lane also. I am not done on the 50 by any means...there is much work to be done there also...vintage rifles & tuning and such.
    Here is the new setup at the moment, I haven't built a railroad tie backstop for the 100 yet.

The backstop/lead catcher is my old 55 gallon drum filled with rubber mulch. I hope by next spring I'll have a railroad tie backstop here also. First thing I needed to do is adjust the scope on the 50 bench to somewhere around a 100 yard zero.

Then...it was time to fire the first 5 shots and pray I wouldn't miss the barrel!

Now I'm excited...I'm ready for some general target practice and some fine tuning of the scope.
    Next thing is to determine what I want to accomplish shooting on the 100 yard lane.
    I set up a target card that I could shoot and try to hit the 3/4" green stickers. If I can hit that sticker, I basically have a true 1 MOA rifle/ammo combination.
    I've been warned that this is not an easy task, that's just what I needed...a new challenge!

This is my first couple attempts at that. I was pleasantly surprised, I thought I might do better but I now realize how much more difficult this is. I am a neophyte at this 100 yard business with a .22 BR rifle!

The wind alone is a huge variable now. I bought a new wind meter that I could see the Current wind speed along with the Maximum wind speed and the Average wind speed for the time I am shooting.

I think having this information/data, I can better understand just what the wind will do to my POI. On my range I generally have a morning lull between 0800 & 1100 when the cool night wind coming out of the higher Sierras stops it's night time flow and turns around 180º and starts coming up from the warming of the Sacramento Valley below but at this time of year it doesn't last very long...if it exists at all. In the spring, in the cooler weather I can count upon having almost an hour of almost 'quiet' wind. I know the wind is always moving around even if you can't feel it on your face...there's thermal action and little eddys that can make a shot errant to some degree.

Since those first few cards, I've shot several others. I keep refining the data I am recording on the card...at some point I'll have it standardized but for now it's a morphing project that changes as I learn. Now I am keeping track of the Aggregate group sizes of the card, that number seems to better represent the daily conditions, more so than 'oogling' over a small group that comes ever now and then.

Notice, there's a gap in time between the cards I'll show next. We had a huge fire here in the Sierras and my little town of Greenwood was evacuated for almost two weeks.
    I didn't leave, I stayed to defend my home from the fire brands falling from the sky. I had to put a sprinkler on my roof and set out hoses by the barns and ready a backup generator in case the power went out. This property exceeds the required setback from the forest and the fire fighters swear they will defend properties like mine but they are working on the front line and they don't stand fire watch through the night on homes miles away from the fire front. The fire started out 12 miles North of me at about 1,500 acres and before it was knocked down it had consumed 75,000 acres...thank God above that the major growth was NNE & E of my home or it would have over run our little town!

Anyway...enough of that, here's a couple more target cards I've done...

I have been swapping back and forth between the .034" & .033" tuner settings trying to decide which has the least amount of vertical shift but am undecided just yet. How I wish I could have a true 'no wind' condition so I can get my scope windage dialed in just right.
    I even tried shooting at dusk...putting a flashlight below the backstop...the wind turns around again at this time and starts the night flow again but there wasn't much of a lull so I haven't revisited a night shoot again. The card dated 9-29-22 was my attempt at this. It is strange shooting in darkness...

Eventually I want to be able to use Kentucky windage and not use the turrets to shoot these green spots.
    My goal now is to be able to keep all the shots on or touching the 3/4" spots and to have an Aggregate card of less than .600".
    That seems like a realistic goal in this thread...I'll post more as I can learn to improve.

Hope you liked this little story of my current quest @ 100 yards...as always I encourage your input either as suggestions...tips & tricks or you posting your cards of your experiences at 100 yards with your rifle.

Thanks for your comments...charlie
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Correction in my post...

This card was actually my attempt at shooting at dusk that night...

I started out at dusk and I could just see the distinction in color of green and the white card...by the third spot it was almost impossible so I paused a few minutes to put a flashlight on the backstop.

Sorry for the wrong picture.

Boolit Grand Master

Here in Lake havasu City, AZ we shoot a "400" 100 yard 22LR match once a month. We use the BR 200 yard target with the inside ring (.75") being the "X" ring. Unlimited sighters are shot on one of the bottom two bulls then 10 shots on each of two of the score targets for the first relay. Time limit is 20 minutes (not strictly enforced). Then we score the two targets and repeat the same on the other two score targets for relay two. Many of the matches have several "400s" and are won by X count. However, due to the wind conditions at our range never give up if you drop a point as I and others have won matches with a 399.

BTW, we don't allow the one-piece front and rear rests. A rest up front and a sandbag rest in the rear is the name of the game here. I use a stock Remington M37 with a Weaver T36 on it.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Grand Master
    Good post OS OK. Was wondering what happened to you. Glad to see you out conquering a new challenge.
    Don Verna

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Here in Lake havasu City, AZ we shoot a "400" 100 yard 22LR match once a month. We use the BR 200 yard target with the inside ring (.75") being the "X" ring. Unlimited sighters are shot on one of the bottom two bulls then 10 shots on each of two of the score targets for the first relay. Time limit is 20 minutes (not strictly enforced). Then we score the two targets and repeat the same on the other two score targets for relay two. Many of the matches have several "400s" and are won by X count. However, due to the wind conditions at our range never give up if you drop a point as I and others have won matches with a 399.

BTW, we don't allow the one-piece front and rear rests. A rest up front and a sandbag rest in the rear is the name of the game here. I use a stock Remington M37 with a Weaver T36 on it.
    WOW...That sounds like a tough bunch of Boys you shoot with. Sounds like a good game too.
    I'm not using a one piece rest, I think that takes too much away from the shooter's skill set. In some circles I get chided for using my Caldwell Rock and a Protector leather rear bag...but it's my hobby & I like shooting that way. I've never competed formally but shoot occasionally with friends and gamesmanship is rampant.

I have changed my card format to include the 3 warmer/spotter spots and then only 8 spots to run 5 shot groups...that takes an entire box of Eley Match (roughly $16.00 per session) so as much as I'd like to shoot more, generally I don't unless I'm working on something specific.

I remember someone else talking of having time limits on the various contests. Just for giggles I timed myself for one of these targets and it takes...

to complete the card.
    I haven't learned to wait on better conditions from shot to shot, I don't mind much a 2 or 3 MPH breeze as I feel I can use Kentucky windage and shift my POA around the spot to compensate and many times I get fooled on my call (just as my groups demonstrate), I guess that's part of the game I like best, it ain't a sure thing or I'd be bored with it.

My rifle is a CZ452 Scout that's been worked pretty extensively, it sports a Harrols tuner and has an older Sightron II 36X42 with the fine target cross hair and tiny spot.
    I wish I knew more about it but I bought it used at my LGS where they were selling it for the family of the deceased owner.

At my age I recon this rifle will out shoot my skill set for the rest of my life ...

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Good post OS OK. Was wondering what happened to you. Glad to see you out conquering a new challenge.
    Hey good to see you too, I hope the tazman is still kicking around somewhere too.
    It's been a busy summer and I almost got everything done I wanted to but a couple of things...that's what tomorrow or next week or next year is for anyway, right?
    I've been hanging around over on RimfireCentral for a while trying to pick up some tips and tricks but that's a different bunch of Boys than we have over here.
    I'm not so sure how I feel about that relationship so I try to be civil but you know how that goes...just one little arrogant or snide horses'butt and I tend to go off on'em.

I'm going to keep this post up here as long as I am struggling trying to achieve my goal and then it'll be something else.
    Sure glad you chimed in, it's nice to be with friends.

Boolit Master
    You may want to test every brand of match ammo out there to see what you gun likes?? Then get every box of that ammo in that lot number you can afford. Then play with your tuner? Groups like this are shot every day out of a sling with iron sights in prone off the ground. If you can hold a grope the size of a quarter at 100 yds you have a start, for benchrest competition. Put up a one inch black square and move your sight's over so you have a Constancent aiming point, the top corner of the square ( top and side with your cross hairs) and have your bullets impact off to the side. Then work on your groups? You have a good start, now the quest for accuracy comes in to play, how you hold the rifle, how it recoils, how you watch the wind, how the light plays, or lack of good light? A lot of head scratching, lots of questions, few answers, in time you will get better? Start with the ammo your gun likes? Then on to the next question??

Quote Originally Posted by BLAHUT View Post
    You may want to test every brand of match ammo out there to see what you gun likes?? Then get every box of that ammo in that lot number you can afford. Then play with your tuner? Groups like this are shot every day out of a sling with iron sights in prone off the ground. If you can hold a grope the size of a quarter at 100 yds you have a start, for benchrest competition. Put up a one inch black square and move your sight's over so you have a Constancent aiming point, the top corner of the square ( top and side with your cross hairs) and have your bullets impact off to the side. Then work on your groups? You have a good start, now the quest for accuracy comes in to play, how you hold the rifle, how it recoils, how you watch the wind, how the light plays, or lack of good light? A lot of head scratching, lots of questions, few answers, in time you will get better? Start with the ammo your gun likes? Then on to the next question??
    Living in California I have to have my ammo purchases sent to my local gun store. The only ammo seller my gunsmith is set up with is Killough over in Texas and that means my choices is Eley...so I use the Match at subsonic velocities.
    I've done a lot of tuner work with it on the 50 yard bench and this is the last tuning I've done using this lot I have now.

Keep in mind, this type tuner work should be done in a dead wind but I haven't had that condition so I do the best I can.
    Once the above 2 shot groups have been shot I go back to the several I think have promise and I try to choose those by looking for the minimum amount of vertical displacement.
    Selecting the following tuner settings I test with 5 shot groups.

Having to work in the wind I may not have the best settings to work with since the wind has distorted some of the groups.
    I have another 4 bricks coming shortly and I'll have to do this all over again. The difference this next time will be that I have cooler weather and that generally means a little more gentile winds early of the morning.

Thanks for your comments.

I'm highly impressed. Nice write up and some REALLY good shooting.
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

Quote Originally Posted by BNE View Post
    I'm highly impressed. Nice write up and some REALLY good shooting.
    Thank you BNE, those are some very kind words.
    This 100 yard range with a .22lr is one of the best challenges I've done in a long time. There's so much room for improvement!

October has not been a very friendly month for wind!
    I have been patiently awaiting a magic morning where the wind was quiet...not to be so far...but being antsy to shoot I did it anyway.
    I did make it a bit of an experiment though.
    When I bought this rifle used at my LGS it was sporting an awful looking 'add-on' set of stick-on tire weights (6 ounces) stuck to the tuner. Not knowing anything about using a tuner I decided to take that awful looking mess off and start with the 6 ounce Harrols tuner by itself.

This rifle came with a brick of Eley Match...I just happened to have 2 boxes of that ammo on the shelf left over from that first brick. That gave me the idea to try that rifle with the extra 6 ounces of weight on the tuner and see just what difference it would make?
    I had a picture of the tuner that revealed the setting this last owner used...I thought I would start around that setting and run a few 5 shot groups.

I reinstalled the tire weights with some double sided tape and shrunk a water bottle over that to keep everything from coming off...

heheee....I know! It looks like...ummmm...terrible heh? Well, I want to see what happens.
    Heres the run down on the conditions...

1.9 mph as I snapped the picture...max wind was 5.4 & average was .9 mph.

I noted on the grid the wind direction and velocity from the bench but remember this is the 100 yard range and the wind at the bench almost never matches the wind down range...that's why I would list the two values for wind in most of the groups. After following the shot & seeing it cut paper, I'd look up and note the wind downrange. I hope this will help me to better understand what happens to my POI in varying conditions.
    Right now it's a crap-shoot at best. It's starting to look like I get about 3/4" deflection from 1 mph wind at full value.

The first column is the tuner setting & the aggregate of the groups shot across the right hand grid intersects.

A picture speaks a thousand words and this one is saying...."Charlie can't handle the wind!" ...

Boolit Grand Master
    Charlie,
    You sure are hard on yourself. IMO you are doing great. Looks like about a 5/8" average for 15 groups. Not too shabby for a .22 at 100 yards. All head shot on a tree rat.

Just how puny are the squirrels in CA? LOL
    Don Verna

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Charlie,
    You sure are hard on yourself. IMO you are doing great. Looks like about a 5/8" average for 15 groups. Not too shabby for a .22 at 100 yards. All head shot on a tree rat.

Just how puny are the squirrels in CA? LOL
    Hahahaaa...funny! All our squirrels live over on the Coast and you'd have'ta bait'em with a Soy'boy Latte' to get them in the sights...

You know how it is Don, us ole'farts get working on making small groups and our OCD drives us till we run out of ammo!