WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLoad DataReloading Everything
Repackbox Inline Fabrication

Thread: Primer pocket uniformer

Boolit Master

Primer pocket uniformer

I had unfired, pulled LC 7.62x51 brass with primers. I want to tumble to remove the tarnish that has formed so I decapped the brass. Some of them seemed tight while depriming, they needed a bit more pressure on the Forster hand deprimer. Should i use a primer pocket tool (Dillon 600) to uniform the pockets? Could the difference in depriming come from the tarnish, causing the primers to stick? Also, some of the primers seperated a bit, anvils dropped out and the red sealer? came out. I'm wanting to make sure the pockets are uniform in diameter and depth.
    Most of the tanks are gone and the windows don't rattle anymore. I won't be able to sleep now.

Boolit Grand Master

I would recommend 2 steps here.
    1) swage the pockets with the dillon swager, this will get them all out to the same size and remove the crimp. If the crimp isnt removed the uniformer wants to bind and catch.
    2 use the uniformer to flatten and recut to depth. Here make sure and clear chips often. Youll be surprised how uneven the bottoms of the pockets are

Boolit Master
    remove the crimp
    I usually give minimum descriptions, sorry. These are LR LC brass that have no crimp or bullet sealler. Using the 600 advise is great, thanks
    Last edited by daengmei; 10-04-2022 at 09:57 AM.
    Most of the tanks are gone and the windows don't rattle anymore. I won't be able to sleep now.

If they are 20 or more years old, I'd anneal them as well.

Boolit Master
    Good info, they are 2012 and up.