Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyWidenersRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Repackbox Reloading Everything

Thread: .40-82 Winchester Twist Rate vs Liner Twist Rate

Boolit Man

.40-82 Winchester Twist Rate vs Liner Twist Rate

I have an original Winchester 1886 in .40-82 and the barrel just has a hint of rifling left. I want to keep the rifle .40-82. I see TJ's Liners sells a .406 liner with a 1:16 twist. The original twist was 1:28. I see a lot of .40-65 Sharps shooters recommend the 1:16 for the heavier bullets. The 40-82 uses 240-260 grain bullets. With the 1:16 liner be good? I was told the faster rate could strip lead from the bullet. If that were the case I would think the Sharps shooters would also have that issue.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Agarbers View Post
    I have an original Winchester 1886 in .40-82 and the barrel just has a hint of rifling left. I want to keep the rifle .40-82. I see TJ's Liners sells a .406 liner with a 1:16 twist. The original twist was 1:28. I see a lot of .40-65 Sharps shooters recommend the 1:16 for the heavier bullets. The 40-82 uses 240-260 grain bullets. With the 1:16 liner be good? I was told the faster rate could strip lead from the bullet. If that were the case I would think the Sharps shooters would also have that issue.
    simple - what is the purpose of your shooting?
    just decide what boolit weight you want to shoot
    are you gonna stay with blackpowder or try and cobble up a smokeless load ?
    I reckon velocity has more effect on leading than twist rate, so up to 1500fps (maybe a tad over 1600 with a shiny new bore) you should be ok with a lead boolit
    1600fps to 2300fps you gonna definitely want to run gaschecks as well as THE most suitable twist for your boolit.
    I have a 348 that I get 2350fps with a soft lead gascheck boolit - anymore we proly need lipstic boolits (powder coated) as well as the GC.
    Have a mate that built a 40-82 single shot on a comblain action, 400 + grain boolits (blackpowder) he does not like the recoil at all - wishes he made it a 40-65 but another mate had the reamer already. Just a heads up if you are a tad recoil sensitive the original twist rate and original weight boolits might be the way to go ?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Agarbers View Post
    I was told the faster rate could strip lead from the bullet. If that were the case I would think the Sharps shooters would also have that issue.
    Totally right, no leading issue whatsoever, nothing to do with the faster twist. More an issue with bullet fit and velocity.

Agarbers,
    The old saying about shoot the heaviest boolit your gun is good for rings true.
    So choose the boolit for what you want the gun to do and then choose the twist to shoot the boolit.

I'd stay with the original bullet weight and twist.

As a long time shooter of the 1886's in many calibers I would not change the rate of twist. It's original bullets of 260gr were perfect for your gun's action design in 40-82 and Winchester worked pretty hard at getting the twist correct for their rifles. Your gun uses a lifter system where Sharps being SS Rifles are a whole different animal using the drop block design and taking longer OAL cartridges of mostly heavier bullets plus seating the bullets why out to touch the Lands. Sharps are sometimes loaded using pointed bullets for long range enhancing these heavy bullets.

Having relined a few 1886's, their groove measurements are all over the place but .406 groove is what I use, much easier all around where reloading is concerned. i use the same bullets for both 40-65 and 40-82 caliber rifles. My custom mold drops bullets of 261gr at .407 so no resizing necessary.
    May I suggest crimping as well then load into the magazine. Some guys like loading them single shot right into the chamber but this snaps the extractor up over the rim when clsing the lever and can result in a broken extractor, not an easy fix for most. good Luck.