Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataReloading Everything
Inline FabricationWidenersRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Repackbox

Thread: Shell catcher for a Kimber 45 auto

Shell catcher for a Kimber 45 auto

I loose a bunch of casings when shooting in the rough, Any advice on a good catcher would be much appreciated.
    Give me something to believe in. Poison
    Arosmith What it takes
    A 12 step program

If you’re stationary, put down a tarp.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Boolit Master
    I do the tarp thing already but my .45 Springer tries to do everything but hit the tarp. I’m about ready to build an overgrown butterfly net for the darn thing.

Boolit Grand Master

2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Buddy
    Tuning the ejector and extractor will control how the pistol throws the brass. I know this isn't what the OP was asking, but it goes a long way to where the brass ends up.

As for a brass catcher, a PVC frame that holds a bed sheet will work. Glue most of it together but leave some joints as slip fit. Light and easy to carry, set up and take down. Design it such that it is basically a backstop, where the brass then rolls to the bottom of it.

45_Colt

My Kimber micro 9 is the worst gun I own for trying to lose brass. It throws 20 feet in ALL directions. I DO need to try and tune that extractor, but it can be loads and different ammo also. Was shooting my Ruger AR yesterday. 20 odd rounds of factory, fell in a 3 foot circle slightly ahead. My reloads fell into about the same size pile, but 10 feet behind the other pile.

Boolit Master
    TT 33 outa da park
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

Boolit Buddy
    I've been using a Graco Mark Case Catcher for 8 years on my 40, 9mm & 10mm. It catches 98% of the brass, but you must have a picatinny rail to attach it. They do make one that straps to your wrist, but I've never used that model.

Super Moderator

I know this isn't the answer you're looking for, but my solution was to buy a S&W M-25 (way back in 1989). I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I grew very weary of having to stoop over and pick up my brass all the time. A tarp works OK, but ya still gotta pick it up and spend a lot of time looking for it. We have volcanic cinders where I shoot, and they are famous for hiding your brass from you.

Boolit Master
    i would sooner chase brass than hang something from my auto's!!

Boolit Grand Master

I tried those handheld brass catchers and couldn't shoot with them, although one of my range buddies does okay with it.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!