RepackboxLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyLoad Data
WidenersInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: We are fortunate

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Seems weird how people who plan and think are so much more fortunate than those who do not.
    Reminds me of a quote, from Branch Rickey: "Luck is the residue of design."

If it's a centerfire cartridge, and I have a gun for it, I also reload for it. Only two, do I use a jacketed bullet for. And I can change that with the purchase of a couple of molds and sizer dies. And yes, we're blessed to be able to do so.

As with most of the country, big game (deer, elk, etc.) is upon us once again. The same people last year scrambling for ammunition are at it again. I can understand their shock in how much ammunition prices have gone up. Mine hasn't in years now.

I guess if I have a pet peeve with my fellow casters/reloaders, it's the never ending complaining about the prices of components. If they think the prices of components are outrageous? Skip reloading and just buy over the counter and see how that feels.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

The people's republic of Commifornia, in Somerset
    Quote Originally Posted by shootinfox2 View Post
    You can always buy a foundry on Amazon and cast bronze solids for hunting. Brass/ copper/ aluminium alloys.
    You really have to cast oversized stock and turn it on a lathe.
    Casting bronze/brass/copper does not have great surface finish. You can get close with plaster investment, but shrinkage comes in to play too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    If it's a centerfire cartridge, and I have a gun for it, I also reload for it. Only two, do I use a jacketed bullet for. And I can change that with the purchase of a couple of molds and sizer dies. And yes, we're blessed to be able to do so.

As with most of the country, big game (deer, elk, etc.) is upon us once again. The same people last year scrambling for ammunition are at it again. I can understand their shock in how much ammunition prices have gone up. Mine hasn't in years now.

I guess if I have a pet peeve with my fellow casters/reloaders, it's the never ending complaining about the prices of components. If they think the prices of components are outrageous? Skip reloading and just buy over the counter and see how that feels.

Murphy
    You missed the point somewhere.

People paying more for just primers than commercially loaded available ammunition.
    These men and their hypnotized followers call this a new order. It is not new. It is not order.

Boolit Master
    Here’s an example of components verses ammo. Today I went into the local Academy and bought some small pistol Federal match primers to load some defense ammo for my P365. I like to use Federal primers as I’ve found them easier to ignite. The cost was $10/100. Also bought a box of 20 Federal HST’s in 9MM which I haven’t seen on the shelf in ages for $32.95. I can get JHP 9MM bullets on line for $79/500 delivered. Also bought a pound of W244 powder for $35. Needless to say I’ll be loading most of my carry ammo in the future.
    Last edited by txbirdman; 10-04-2022 at 04:46 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by deces View Post
    You missed the point somewhere.

People paying more for just primers than commercially loaded available ammunition.
    Now perhaps so if one was just starting out in reloading, but I'd warrant there are more than a few old boys on here who were probably in pretty good shape even before Sandy Hook. And idly looking around now it appears that some commercially available ammunition is just plumb unavailable. I myself have been known to be at a gun show, and if I did not find anything interesting, to pick up up a carton of primers for $15 to $20, or a pound of powder. It's not just saving money; as I have found my home cast bullets are as accurate if not more accurate than store bought; and the same often holds for factory made ammunition.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

People who don't reload and cast their own boolits really don't understand that we will always have ammo to shoot, and they probably won't !!!
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Banner Sponsor

Yes, it's an elevated powerline stand.
    Still way more power than is needed.
    He's shooting 180 Barnes X, I think I'll load him some 165 corelokts.
    Just got some 140gn Sierras for the 6.5

Most of my guns have never fired factory rounds.

Boolit Master
    Not being dependent on availability of commercial ammo is one big advantage in loading your own. Of course getting ammo cheaper was the reason i got into loading being that I was not eve out of High School and had no money of my own. I figured that if i begged my Father into giving me some money to get a batch of components, i had more shots before running out compared to simply getting a box of 20 or 25 rounds. I shoot a 257 Weatherby when deer hunting big fields, getting factory ammo for it is darned costly plus you can't ever count on getting the load your rifle is sighted in for. Since i load my own, when i am running low, I simply open a box of my favorite bullets and stuff them into empty brass and i have another batch of exactly the load the rifle prefers. If a shoot goes a step farther and casts their own bullets they are even more independent. Buying a mold allows you to manufacture an infinite number of identical bullets. And lead bullets are about free compared to what some jacketed are selling for now. For most of my handgun shooting, I practically never shoot jacketed. Especially revolvers. Another big factor us reloaders and casters enjoy is the ability to download certain guns. For instance, a 44 Magnum revolver would get old pretty fast if you had to shoot nothing but full power loads. The gun magazines always promote the idea that you can shoot 44 Special loads if you want less recoil. But you can't hardly find 44 Special and it's always expensive if you do. I can put an RCBS 245 SWC over a light charge of Red Dot and get about 850 ft/sec in my Super Blackhawk and it's fun to shoot all day and dirt cheap. And the sense of accomplishment in repeatedly using bullets you cast to kill deer can't be experienced with factory ammo or even using factory bullets. Putting forth the effort and $'s to stock up on components in the good times to be able to weather the bad times when guns/ammo are scarce pays off in a big way. It may be uncomfortable - even in the good times when prices are relatively low - to buy multiple cases of primers, multiple 8lb cans of powder, etc. but your future self will appreciate it.

Boolit Master

In times like these we revel in that we cast and reload not only to SAVE MONEY, but also to continue to shoot. Having prepared, I expect my means to outlast my needs with an abundance in remainder.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

I broke the code on casting and reloading in 1963, when I discovered once I had the brass, I could cast, lube and load 38 Specials for the same price or less than a box of 22 Long Rifles. I saved my money and bought a K-38 and the game was afoot!
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Bub
    Was in Canada for work a few weeks ago and talking with one of the guys I was working with. He asked if I shoot guns and I told him yeah I get to shoot a good amount. Told him that I reload/cast my own. He thought that was so cool. He was telling me how he got to shoot one time with his friend that’s an instructor. He acted like he really got to do something special. I then realized how fortunate I was to have that freedom. We need to keep it that way. Reading the post about Cali ammo scares the sh*t out of me. What’s next?

Quote Originally Posted by Dman75 View Post
    What’s next?
    With the ones in charge currently, it's a crapshoot. It's not looking good in the future either.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by slim1836 View Post
    With the ones in charge currently, it's a crapshoot. It's not looking good in the future either.

Slim
    I am almost afraid to bring it up, touch wood, but there are some radicals that have issues with our independence from having to purchase commercial ammunition. But I did notice that some radical was concerned about re-loading - just worried about our safety (sure) and was muttering that we needed to be licensed to be able to safely reload.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJames View Post
    I am almost afraid to bring it up, touch wood, but there are some radicals that have issues with our independence from having to purchase commercial ammunition. But I did notice that some radical was concerned about re-loading - just worried about our safety (sure) and was muttering that we needed to be licensed to be able to safely reload.
    That is why Diversity Training prompted me to add the 2 cartridges most likely to be acquired "in game" the 9x19 and 5.56.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mal Paso View Post
    That is why Diversity Training prompted me to add the 2 cartridges most likely to be acquired "in game" the 9x19 and 5.56.
    Yes, when the SHTF, having what almost everyone has is beneficial. Those "Bugging Out" will provide a short term supply of ammunition until they die off (mostly murdered). There are no numbers on how many are going to bug out, but the number of "mobile caches" will drop exponentially as you get further from the cities, but every little bit helps. The downside is the longer they survive, and further they travel, the larger the group will become...and they will be the smart ones.

The paramilitary thugs are my biggest fear. They will be armed with whatever the current military is using.

Anyway, like you, I standardized on 9mm and 5.56 plus added the .308 and .40 (back then police were using the .40). At least I was smart enough to buy Glock 22's and adding a $100 barrel and some mags lets me shoot 9mm.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    I have the dies for 9mm, and have gone through my own diversity training on the .556 preparing it to cycle in an AR15, and have a Prince Albert tub full of 556 brass. Better to get it down pat now than later when things could be more hurried. 308 has always been my deer cartridge; so I've reloaded it for 40 forevers.

Boolit Buddy
    Reloading with either jacketed or cast bullets has saved me a small fortune over factory ammo over the years, to the point it has paid for all my firearms.
    I have only bought factory .22's and milsurp ammo.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Seems weird how people who plan and think are so much more fortunate than those who do not.
    You sure got that right Don .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast