Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRepackboxLee Precision
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Snyders Jerky Wideners

Thread: Need special and specific tiype of patch for .72-cqliber round balls

Boolit Master

Need special and specific tiype of patch for .72-cqliber round balls

During a major rearrange of a storage room to gun room, I discovered a device I bought probably 20 years ago. It was called, I think, a "something??? Dimpler". Its principal is based on a proven, demonstrably effective principle. While I do not remember the physics fundamental for its effectiveness, millions of people use it every day on a single device called a golf ball. In the 19th century golfers used round balls. It was noticed that used golf balls, scuffed and roughed up from use, traveled significantly farther than new unscuffed balls. Presto, we have modern golf balls.

Roughened surface causes balls to become less effected by air resistance. The Dimpler causes stochastically dimpled surface on muzzleloading round balls. If it works, device-dimpled round balls will have point blank range and retained ball velocity/penetration significantly improved just like golf balls.

Things are a little different in muzzleloading because larger diameter round balls are less affected by air resistance than smaller ones. Dunno why. But even a .72-caliber round round ball loses perhaps 40 percent of its muzzle velocity at 50 yards or so. Smaller diameter round balls are even more affected.

I immediately recognized a difficulty in using a dimpled round ball. Lubricant from usual patching procedures will almost certainly ruin the effectiveness of dimples by retaining some slight amount of lubricant irregularly. Think of the difficulty as what happens when an otherwise perfectly cast bullet's base is notched. Accuracy goes down the drain.

To finally make a long story less long, I'm looking for pre-made patches that have some sort of lubricant that is dry or doesn't come off [on the ball's side of the patch] or patching material satisfactory for my cutting my own patches. What's supposed to happen is that this patch functions as a round ball's patch should during its travel down the barrel, leaving the ball immediately after. Meanwhile the stochastically dimpled round ball is unaffected and travels downrange with the same degree of accuracy as the usual ball and lubed patch — but much farther.

So, what's available that might do the job? I remember that Teflon® patches were available when I probably found an advertisement in an old NMLRA Muzzle Blasts. But that was decades ago and I have shot only cast bullets since I don't remember when. For my testing I need this sort of special patching or patch material. If the device works, that's great. If the device doesn't work, my rifle will shoot patched round balls as it will. . . . It would be nice, though.
    It’s so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don’t say it. Sam Levinson

Spit patching might work.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Master

Decades ago a buddy worked in a plant that machined Teflon parts. In addition to all the usual PPE and Safety Training, no cigarettes or smoking type tobacco was allowed in the plant. Smoking a cigarette in which trace amounts of Teflon dust had settled was real bad for your health.
    I don’t think I’d want to be around black powder charred Teflon.

Boolit Master
    Graphite, motor mica, powdered Teflon, maybe even talc - I would try any number of dry slickums on a normal pillow ticking patch. You won't hurt the gun and it will be fun to experiment.

Boolit Master
    Try silakon spray.

Boolit Master
    Wow, what an idea. Report back with the results of this testing, maybe I'll be looking for one of those "dimplers". I'm just wondering if the muzzleloader ball trajectory wouldn't change much because of the rifling in a barrel. Smooth bore, who knows? Would this be applicable to round balls in a shotgun?

Boolit Master
    Is this what you found in your storage? Wonder if it really makes a difference and what they were designed to do?

https://www.n-ssa.net/vbforum/attach...1&d=1458650930
    https://www.n-ssa.net/vbforum/attach...1&d=1458650939

Boolit Master
    That jig would be pretty easy to make at home - it appears to just be a tray of ball bearings. Drop the lead balls on top and roll them around with the wooden cover.

I've seen some commercial buckshot that looked similar - probably achieved with tumbling (maybe inside a can with steel ball bearings?).

And I'm speculating here but suspect the dimples create enough turbulence to reduce drag slightly and likely cut down on tendencies to spin off course.

Boolit Master
    I agree on not using Teflon.
    I had a friend that worked in a machine shop.
    When they drilled Teflon parts , they had to wear a gas mask because of fumes being Toxic when the Teflon was heated up.

Boolit Buddy
    You can get graphite really cheap at most farm supply supply places. They mix it with the seeds to help it flow better. I bought a can of it years ago to lube the inside of case necks for reloading.It will be really messy though. You can also buy Teflon in spray cans. I used to spray that on my paper patched bullets. The small amt you would be exposed to would not be a problem. Spray molly can be had too also very messy. None of this would help with black powder residue.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by GL49 View Post
    Is this what you found in your storage? Wonder if it really makes a difference and what they were designed to do?

https://www.n-ssa.net/vbforum/attach...1&d=1458650930
    https://www.n-ssa.net/vbforum/attach...1&d=1458650939
    Yes, this is the device, and yes, it appears to be easy to make. I suspect The Dimpler need be remade frequently. I doubt the epoxy or whatever fixes the balls in place will hold up with frequent or with dimpling a couple of hundred round balls in one sitting.

What I have discovered that is welcome is that Lyman's teat disappears when round ball is dimpled.

I will sample dry lubes, beginning with graphite because this is used during final mix of black powder to improve flow and slightly weatherproof kernels - I believe.

I must see whether anyone at Longrifles has tested the Dimpler. If tested, what were results?
    It’s so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don’t say it. Sam Levinson

Boolit Master
    try PUSHING UP DAISY'S patches. they are great & come in all Cal's /Día's.

Boolit Master
    Would using just pillow ticking without lube ( the pillow ticking would be the lube ) work and provide the grip for the rifling with no leading?

Quote Originally Posted by BLAHUT View Post
    Would using just pillow ticking without lube ( the pillow ticking would be the lube ) work and provide the grip for the rifling with no leading?
    In muzzle loading the lube keeps the fouling soft. You can use an un-lubed patch and spit lube by placing the patch in your mouth. I have seen spit patches smoldering on the range, so if you have dry grass it may not be the best idea.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.