MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2RepackboxSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationWidenersTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Reloading Everything Load Data
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cast in .308 win issue ( Rem 700 bolt )

Quote Originally Posted by Hahndorf1874 View Post
    I use the Lyman 311644BV mold ,sized to .309 ,it is a tapered pill fits most .308 throats ,easy peasy shoots like a dart, sub and Min. MOA in my Schultz and Larsen mod 62. 30 grains of varget,LLA lube. BTW it shoots in my other 308 s as well. Cheers Mal in au.
    I google searched for this mold, and am not finding one for sale. None of the Lee molds seem similar, in any way. Can anyone recommend AN AVAILABLE mold, from any of the other manufacturers? Other Lyman molds? NOE , Accurate, MP etc?
    Just because it’s a bad idea…
    …. Doesn’t mean it won’t be a good time !

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    If you have any of the first 3 Lee bullets not PC'd yet size one .310, seat and then see how it chambers. If it chambers, it's the PC that is causing the problem.

I have a bunch of Bore riders in various calibers for use in rifles. I have obtained then so the nose fits the bore. The PC them would simply cause the problems you have. Another reason I haven't jumped on the PC wagon.

Excellent Advice !

The Lee C309-170-F should work for this as Larry outlines .
    It works in my 30-06 with it's minimum dimensioned (tight) chamber and throat ... but they can't be powder coated and must be sized .309" ... for many years I sized them .308" because that was the size listed in Lyman Cast Bullet #3 ... .309" is max.

Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 10-03-2022 at 11:07 AM.
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Also check the case length. 9.62 is different from 308W. AR10 would take 7.62 & 308W, Henry won't so I have to trim.
    Whatever!

You have one of two problems going on:

1. You have the bullets seated out so far, you are trying to jam the bullet body past the chamber throat into the rifling.
    2. The bullet nose is too large to engrave on the rifling.

I have no issues shooting cast in my Remington 700 .308. The case neck is short, so I use the RCBS165 SIL, sized .310. None of this PC stuff for me.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master
    I have been using that Lee 155RNGC in a Remington 7xx series for years. New right out of the box that rifle shot MOA and fed with that boolit which I sized to 308 and lubed with the Lee Alox. Like Larry, I haven't jumped on the PC wagon yet even though I bought all the necessaries some time ago. I also seat that boolit so the gas check is even with the bottom of the neck.

Quote Originally Posted by quilbilly View Post
    I have been using that Lee 155RNGC in a Remington 7xx series for years. New right out of the box that rifle shot MOA and fed with that boolit which I sized to 308 and lubed with the Lee Alox. Like Larry, I haven't jumped on the PC wagon yet even though I bought all the necessaries some time ago. I also seat that boolit so the gas check is even with the bottom of the neck.

The C312-155 ? The one folks are using for 300 BO? Mine is dropping .307 forward of the drive bands.
    I just set up several un coated 170-Fs and 180-Rs, like Larry and others suggested. I set the boolits at various depths, to find the longest one, that chambers.

I’m going to set up a set of those 155s at the same various depths, as well. So you sized to .308 ? My .308 sizer hasn’t arrived, yet. .309 is my smallest, ATM. When you say “check set to end of neck” , do you mean the leading edge of check, or the base of the check? I’m going to make both in this set.

I can’t thank you all enough.

BTW, brother popped into my barn, while I was working on this. I thought I was busted. I had just stuck rifle back in box, and set it, under work bench. I had .308 brass out on bench, bunch of .308 dies and such, and right in the middle of it all…. The boxes of 175 HPBTs and 150 BTSPs . He saw them and asked about them ( he knows I don’t haz .308 ) being I’m a .35 Rem hunter. Took some quick fibbing to throw him off the trail….. close call.

Boolit Grand Master

Maximum external dimensions between the 308 Winchester case and the 7.62mm NATO are identical. The chambers do have different specs with the 7.62 NATO being somewhat larger. Case length SAAMI for the 308 Win is 2.015" -0.020". Headspace on the cartridge is 1.634" - 0.007". The 762 NATO case length is 2.015" - 0.015. Headspace on the cartridge is 1.634" - 0.006".
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

My trimmer is set to 2.010 ( listed case length was 2.015 with a trim to of 2.005 ) I aimed to split the difference. Every single piece of brass, that I am trying, has come in at 2.010
    Am just trying for consistency, while trouble shooting.

Boolit Master

Nose on your cast boolits is too large after powder coating (possibly before?). With my Remington 700 ADL Varmint Bolt-Action .308 I have to Size the Nose of my cast and Powder Coated boolits to get them to chamber.

1. Order a "CUSTOM" Lee bullet swage die at .301 inches.

2. Size the NOSE ONLY of your cast boolits. I turn the .301 die into the RCBS Rock Chucker Press only 2 full turns. I lube the nose area of the cast boolits (311290, 311299, RCBS 165 Sil, RCBS 200 Sil, Lee 170 gr .309, etc..). I then cycle the press - sizing the boolit nose (2 turns into press only); then I have to drive the Boolit out of the die using either a cut off hard wood dowel or steel punch of ~.270 to .298 diameter and hammer.

3. I then size the entire bullet bases and seat gas checks using a Lee .310 sizing die. Pushing each boolit entirely through the Lee .310 Sizing die. Then seat the overall length I desire.

Examples:

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...der&highlight=

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...ter&highlight=
    Last edited by MUSTANG; 10-03-2022 at 04:09 PM.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

I thank you sir, I am getting along those lines, now.

I didn’t order a custom one, as I have ordered one in the past, and found it took a long time to get. I found a .285 with Amazon Prime , that I plan to lap.

Boolit Master
    I guess my Lee 180gn mold cast small. They fit in my .308 after powder coating. My land dia at the throat is .302. At the muzzle it is .300.

I tried other bullets. The RCBS 165SIL and Lyman 311299, both conventional lube, sized .309. The RCBS fit my bore almost perfectly. The Lyman could be chambered but was a very tight fit (almost would not chamber). Made me realize the issue with bore riding bullets and the short throat area of the .308 (and relatively short neck vs the .30-06).

So, when I ordered a mold from Accurate (31-210E) I specified the nose dia to allow powder coating (.300" -.002). He allows a tolerance of .002. It can be either +/- .002, +.002 or -.002. The good thing is they cast almost exactly .300.

I have two nose size bushings from NOE. One is .299 and the other is .302. After casting I size the noses to .299. After PC I size them to .302. The second just barely touches the PC'd bullets.

The bases and drive bands are all sized to .310.

So, you can use powder coat on bore riders, you just have to size the noses to fit. Just as I would have to nose size the 311299 to fit, even with conventional lube.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	purple&red  clear.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	48.0 KB 
ID:	305276

Boolit Master
    This thread has got me thinking! I'd previously tried nose sizing, but had bad results. I machined a 7/8-14 die body that accepts Redding neck bushings, and used that as a nose sizing die. It sized the bullet nose really good, and with a wide selection of neck bushings available I could tailor the nose size to whatever I wanted. The problem I was having was that the sized nose would no longer be concentric with the driving bands. With the nose "off center" there would be little prospect of accuracy. At that time I was thinking that about the only way to correct for this would be to make what would almost amount to a swage die - sizing both the nose and driving bands at the same time. Instead I went in another direction and began powder coating just the driving bands, leaving the bullet nose bare.

charlie b's post above just kicked me in the head like a mule! Why not machine a die that holds a stack of two neck bushings? In example: the lower bushing could be .309" in diameter, and the one stacked on top of it could be .301". The die body would hold both bushings in perfect alignment. With this set up (if it works) both the nose section and the driving bands could be sized at the same time. Neck bushings are available in a huge amount of sizes in .001" increments, and most bushing manufacturers use the same external dimensions so there's even brand interchangeability. Again "if this works", using different size bushings, a die set like this might be able to size practically any caliber bore riding bullet and keep the nose & driving bands concentric. I'm going to start drawing up some plans, and once it starts raining this winter and I get cabin fever I'll machine some stock and see where this ends up. This is one of the fun things about casting bullets: there's always something more to try and to learn.

That sounds genius!
    I’d be very happy to do some field testing

Boolit Master
    I thought about your idea as well, but, I have good luck with just the nose die.

BUT...the base of the bullet must be held centered on the bushing. The NOE setup comes with a standard ram. If you are not really careful with how you set the bullet on the ram it can jam the bullet sideways a bit, which will cause bending.

I replaced the NOE ram with a bullet holder (machined to fit on the reloading press ram) that is bored to accept the sized bullet base. The bored hole is also deep enough that the holder touches the size bushing when the nose us fully sized (this would need to be changed for each bullet design). That way every bullet is sized exactly the same length.

You could probably make a 'sleeve' that fits over the ram and is reamed to the sized bullet base. The length could also serve as a 'stop' the same as my bullet holder. Washers could be used to adjust the length of the sized section of the bullet. (Now that I mention this I may have to try it ).

The nose bushing also makes a short tapered section on the bullet. The bullet is seated in the case such that the tapered section is touching (or lightly jammed) into the rifling.

If pursuing the dual bushing method keep in mind the design of the size bushings. There is only a very short bearing surface. Most of the bushing is a tapered section.

Boolit Master
    the Lyman 311299 is a bullet design that has been very popular and shoots very well for quite a few folks and just plain works for me in both the 308 win and 30-06 in every gun I've tried them in, savages and Remington 700's.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 405grain View Post
    This thread has got me thinking! I'd previously tried nose sizing, but had bad results. I machined a 7/8-14 die body that accepts Redding neck bushings, and used that as a nose sizing die. It sized the bullet nose really good, and with a wide selection of neck bushings available I could tailor the nose size to whatever I wanted. The problem I was having was that the sized nose would no longer be concentric with the driving bands. With the nose "off center" there would be little prospect of accuracy. At that time I was thinking that about the only way to correct for this would be to make what would almost amount to a swage die - sizing both the nose and driving bands at the same time. Instead I went in another direction and began powder coating just the driving bands, leaving the bullet nose bare.

charlie b's post above just kicked me in the head like a mule! Why not machine a die that holds a stack of two neck bushings? In example: the lower bushing could be .309" in diameter, and the one stacked on top of it could be .301". The die body would hold both bushings in perfect alignment. With this set up (if it works) both the nose section and the driving bands could be sized at the same time. Neck bushings are available in a huge amount of sizes in .001" increments, and most bushing manufacturers use the same external dimensions so there's even brand interchangeability. Again "if this works", using different size bushings, a die set like this might be able to size practically any caliber bore riding bullet and keep the nose & driving bands concentric. I'm going to start drawing up some plans, and once it starts raining this winter and I get cabin fever I'll machine some stock and see where this ends up. This is one of the fun things about casting bullets: there's always something more to try and to learn.
    This would be an interesting build. To do it more effectively; one would need an arrangement similar to BT Snipers Swaging die sets to remove the boolits from the two stack die. (Size on downstroke of handle and eject on upstroke of handle).

Attachment 305314

I have a similar arrangement I purchased from BT Sniper to swage 5/16 copper tubing into Jackets for .308 caliber bullets. The one above is a Lee based set; mine is for an RCBS Rockchucker press.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master
    Hey Mustang: I read your posts on the site and you're one of the guys that's pushing the envelope. FYI: I already made a bullet extractor based on the BT Sniper design when I machined my first nose sizing die.

Just a heads up to Krh1326: This researching new stuff takes time, and it sounds like your hard pressed to deliver your brother's rifle. I suggest that you don't wait on trying to find a solution to the cast problem, and load him up some jacketed ammo so you can make the gift. Then you'll have the time to sort out what works and what doesn't as far as cast loads go. Maybe the fastest and easiest solution would be to get a mold that's designed specifically for powder coating. I totally understand your wanting to gift a rifle to your Bro. I was an E5 in the Navy in the late 70's & early 80's. My kid brother was an E4 in the Army stationed in Berlin. He was there when the wall came down. When he came back home I gave him my M1 Garand.

Quote Originally Posted by 405grain View Post
    Hey Mustang: I read your posts on the site and you're one of the guys that's pushing the envelope. FYI: I already made a bullet extractor based on the BT Sniper design when I machined my first nose sizing die.

Just a heads up to Krh1326: This researching new stuff takes time, and it sounds like your hard pressed to deliver your brother's rifle. I suggest that you don't wait on trying to find a solution to the cast problem, and load him up some jacketed ammo so you can make the gift. Then you'll have the time to sort out what works and what doesn't as far as cast loads go. Maybe the fastest and easiest solution would be to get a mold that's designed specifically for powder coating. I totally understand your wanting to gift a rifle to your Bro. I was an E5 in the Navy in the late 70's & early 80's. My kid brother was an E4 in the Army stationed in Berlin. He was there when the wall came down. When he came back home I gave him my M1 Garand.
    Reluctantly seeing your point… loaded up a bunch of the Hog Tooth 175s , and a bunch of the 150 BTSPs.
    He came so very close to busting me, once already, so I’m fixing to go that route. I have never loaded 30-06 rifle , and the closest thing to .308 win I’ve done , is sons AR in 300 BO. I’m an old lever guy, and I definately do not have the PC prob with .35 Rem. That 300 BO eats up all of these exact same boolits with full PCing, so that’s throwing me with the .308W.

But ….. I never surrender…. Look wut I did….

Name:	DCAB7DB3-EC1A-4F35-9C90-0D826047C771.jpeg 
Views:	44 
Size:	137.2 KB 
ID:	305318

But I did it a little different. I dissolved some Eastwood Ford Dark into some acetone, and just brushed it on. Let it dry, then baked’em.

Boolit Master
    Those bullets look really good. That's a clever idea painting the driving bands. I know that I've posted about it in another thread, but there's another hack I've learned that's made life easier. Standing up tubby pistol bullets on a piece of parchment paper and then sticking them in the toaster oven works great, but trying to stand long skinny rifle bullets on their ends isn't always fun. If even one bullet falls over it causes a domino effect, and that type of frustration is something that we can do without. There's also the issue of the powder coat sometimes forming an edge (fining) around the base of the bullet as it cooks, and this can cause problems when trying to seat the gas checks. What I needed was a way to cure the powder coat with the base of the bullet facing up, and a way to prevent any of the bullets from falling over.

Because the bulk of the rifle bullets I cast are 6.5mm, 7mm, & 30 caliber I got a piece of perforated stainless sheet metal with 5/16" holes from Amazon. I bent the edges down so that the sheet metal will stand proud of the plate that I use for curing by about 3/8". I made up a tray for powder coating out of 1/8" thick aluminum plate because the flimsy sheet metal trays in the toaster oven would sag under the weight of bullets. I put a piece of parchment paper between the plate and the perforated sheet metal to keep the mess to a minimum. When I'm curing a batch of powder coated bullets I place them nose down in through the perforated sheet and that holds them from falling over. With their butts in the air, the powder coat cures evenly over the gas check shank. So far I've done about 600 bullets this way and it has worked great.

Name:	Boolit Tray.JPG 
Views:	38 
Size:	186.3 KB 
ID:	305329

Very clever !

I was rushing it, between making j-word cartridges.
    As I painted the bands and base, I got the idea to stick the gas check on, while pc was still wet, and they all slipped right on. Baked them standing up, then sized/ crimped. They are actually crimp and “glued” now, lol.

Not very efficient for large quantities, but worked for these dozen or so.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast