RepackboxTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingWidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision

Thread: The ones that got away

The ones that got away

I've bought and sold a lot of guns over the last 45 years, there's many I regret, but I never should have sold this Shiloh. I bought it as a 30-40 Krag and rebarreled it to 40-70 SS.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FB_IMG_1664736848842.jpg  

Boolit Master
    I regret passing up a Ruger Red Label for $600, about 15 yes ago.

I do not have much sympathy for people who sell their guns then regret it.
    In most cases selling or buying a gun isn't going to make you or break you, unless you are maybe talking about NFA or historic collectables.
    They don't take up a lot of room like cars and airplanes.
    So, if you sell a gun and regret it, get over it, or go buy another like it.

Marlin 1894c in 357 magnum. Lost it in a fire. Can’t replace it now.

Boolit Master

The best way not to sell one is to not price one. People will sometimes pay your crazy price.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

My buying and selling guns goes back about 55 years and I do regret letting a few go but mostly regret not buying a lot of guns that were very unique or one of a kind that I never seen again.
    Buying , selling, working on guns has been a hobby that I never get tired of. Whenever I take a trip to anywhere I try to visit gun shops that have used guns for sale. Not much of anything that is currently new is of interest to me.
    Jedman

Boolit Master
    remember that SYMPATHY, is in the dictionary between **** & SYPHILAS! that is the only place that you will get any! sellers remorse is not an excuse! jmho.

Boolit Master

Referencing the picture, are you sure you had enough gun?
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

I never buy 'irreplacable' guns to begin with so I send 'em down the road whenever I get bored with 'em.
    I know guys with guns all over their homes. Why? Most of them they've never even shot and they aren't even sure what they have. Insanity.

Boolit Master
    I've sold a few that I'd rather have back now, but they were guns that you can't get anymore. At least with a Shiloh, if you want it back bad enough you can order another one.

Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunlaker View Post
    I've sold a few that I'd rather have back now, but they were guns that you can't get anymore. At least with a Shiloh, if you want it back bad enough you can order another one.

Chris.
    That's why I ordered the 40-65 Bill Goodman listed a few months ago, it came in on friday. It's more of a heavy silhouette gun than what I had before, but brass is much easier to find with the 40-65. There's no way I could have put my hands on some of the guns I've had without selling some others.

Having regretted selling several over the years I DO have sympathy for those who like me have done so. Some folks need to sell a gun to buy a gun, some can just keep on accumulating while the older guns get dusty. In my case, I sold them but did not need to, I felt lucky not to be in the position of having to sell anything but did so anyway and mostly because of needing the space in my two safes for new stuff! But not all are in that arena, so for those folks yes, I do have sympathy.

Some years back, we had a young couple in our rental house that were struggling and he wanted to give me his grandpa's old Winchester to help pay rent. Now this young man had no idea of the value nor how he would feel 20 years later so; I told him to promise me he would keep the gun always and if doing so he could skip that months rent but only that one month. later, he not only made good on his back rent, he still has the rifle today.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    I do not have much sympathy for people who sell their guns then regret it.
    In most cases selling or buying a gun isn't going to make you or break you, unless you are maybe talking about NFA or historic collectables.
    They don't take up a lot of room like cars and airplanes.
    So, if you sell a gun and regret it, get over it, or go buy another like it.
    ^^^This^^^

Only things I've regretted are items that greatly accelerated in price at a later date. I picked up several old lever guns in the 60's and 70's when the prices were low and sold them a few years later - I made money on every deal but I regret not holding onto them until now. Example, I bought a '73 Winchester for $125 in the late 70's and sold it about 5 years later for about $400. That would likely be a $3000-$4000 rifle now (I know, inflation affects the number).

I also sold a Colt Series 70 1911; the only reason I had mixed feelings is that one was very accurate and reliable. Some had sent it out for hard satin chrome and it was a slick shooter - never jammed...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikedominick View Post
    That's why I ordered the 40-65 Bill Goodman listed a few months ago, it came in on friday. It's more of a heavy silhouette gun than what I had before, but brass is much easier to find with the 40-65. There's no way I could have put my hands on some of the guns I've had without selling some others.
    I'm sure you will like that rifle a lot. I have two Shiloh's in .40-65 and they are awesome rifles. If you haven't reloaded for a Shiloh in .40-65 before, I'd recommend forming the brass yourself from .45-70, and trying the Saeco #740 bullet, or the Buffalo Arms 400gr money bullet with 3 reduced driving bands.

Chris.

Thanks, I've been stockpiling 45-70 since I ordered it. I've got one 50ct box of BACO GGs from when I had the 40-70, so I'll load them up and go from there. I'd like to shoot an Antelope with either this one or a 45-70 LRE with an MVA scope I've got, I've only got a couple weeks to figure it out though.

Boolit Master
    One I regret the most and there are many was a Sharps Borchardt in excellent condition made for South Caralina National Guard. It was a 45-70. Almost brings tears to my eyes when I think about it.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Master

I had a few stolen: '57 Ruger flatop in 357 convertible and I still have the 9mm cylinder. '29 Wnchester 94 in 30-30 of course. And I was just getting around to some accuracy with the lever gun when it was snatched.
    Pax Nobiscum Dan (Crash) Corrigan

Currently casting, reloading and shooting: 223 Rem, 6.5x55 Sweede, 30 Carbine, 30-06 Springfield, 30-30 WCF, 303 Brit., 7.62x39, 7.92x57 Mauser, .32 Long, 32 H&R Mag, 327 Fed Mag, 380 ACP. 9x19, 38 Spcl, 357 Mag, 38-55 Win, 41 Mag, 44 Spcl., 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 454 Casull, 457 RB for ROA and 50-90 Sharps. Shooting .22 LR & 12 Gauge seldom and buying ammo for same.

Boolit Buddy
    In the 55 years since I bought my first firearm I've sold or traded off a lot of them. My attitude was if I'm not using it, and haven't used in in say the last year or two, it represents capitol tied up that could be put to other uses...like another gun that I will shoot. Have I gotten rid of some I wish I still had? Of course, but I remind myself that I wasn't shooting it when I let it go so what makes me think I would start shooting it now. Mostly the wish to have something back is so I could sell it for more than I sold it for back in the day. (smile)

Dave