RepackboxWidenersTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Load Data

Thread: 30-40 Krag scope mounting

Boolit Buddy

30-40 Krag scope mounting

Has anyone scoped a 30-40 Krag?
    What mount would be available?
    Eyes are not good enough for iron sights anymore.

Boolit Master
    You have two choices, an offset mount, or a scout mount. I prefer the scout mount. There is a company the makes the scout mounts. https://kraghaus.com/

I made my own scout mount from a Weaver Mossberg shotgun mount. Works great. My eyes went south also, which prompted this.

S&K is the only no drill and tap mount, I believe. Some older Williams or Weaver side mounts might be found, but d&t on all that writing on the left side of the action would be a shame.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    If I absolutely had to put optics on a Krag, I would employ an old Fecker or Unertl Small Game scope and put the rear mount on the barrel just in front of the receiver and the front mount 7.2" forward of that. The scope will extend back far enough for good eye relief, and the bolt handle will clear it. (Don't let the name "Small Game scope" fool you, they're plenty rugged for centerfire use.) Don't sweat the positioning of the scope over top of the receiver, it's not the bugabear that it's believed to be - just don't slam the bolt open to eject empties. I know this'll work because I have a Krag set up for this kind of scope use.

The only pic I have of the setup. Unertl target scope substituted for the Small game scope for that range day. (It's been converted to single shot configuration and barreled for .22 Maximum Lovell, by Hervey Lovell himself.) Excuse the wobbly bench rest, I forgot my Sinclair that day and had to borrow one.

Boolit Master
    Of course, a Krag shines best for utilitarian purposes with a receiver sight, IMO, as shown here. Eyes bad? My eyes are 70 now and worked with aperture rear sights, even with a cataract which I had fixed a couple weeks ago. There are workarounds, for sure, but the best solution is to simply get the eyes fixed - so you can continue to use a Krag as God intended!

(I whittled the stock out of a bulbous Bishop stock, ebony tip and grip cap added, and finished with 10 coats spar varnish rubbed out dull and waxed to a soft luster. Next step: rust blue the steel over the winter.)