Titan ReloadingLoad DataRepackboxReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: lead hardness tester

This should make reading measurements with the Lee kit very easy.
    https://www.thereloadersnetwork.com/...ness-test-kit/
    These men and their hypnotized followers call this a new order. It is not new. It is not order.

Boolit Master
    Here is a test done with all of the common testers and the surprisingly the Lee was closest to the scientific findings. It is a pain to use but that can be overcome. I plan on getting a Cabine tree for odd shaped finds.

http://www.lasc.us/Shay-BHN-Tester-Experiment.htm

Anything recently melted should rest for a 2 to 3 weeks to get a good reading. Once you get your testers try casting a few bullets. Test some right away, wait a week test some more. Do this for a few weeks and you should figure out how long to wait before testing.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Grand Master

I have been happy with my Cabine Tree. With just a little practice its easy to get repeatable readings. I thought hard about the Saeco but the Cabine Tree will work with ingots and other odd shapes.

Today I was at Goodwill trying to find a used toaster oven for my first attempt at powder coating. Didn't find that, but I came across a microscope from a kids science set, complete with 4x, 20x, and 40x magnifiers. The price was right, so it came home with me. Heck, even the 2 led lights still work. This winter I may see how close my alloys are from Bumpo's calculator. hc18flyer

Boolit Grand Master

I used a Cabine Tree for most of my hardness testing. I had a SAECO but ut would give erroneous readings at times.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Buddy

Buffalo Arms, aka Cabine Tree, works great for me.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by rmcc View Post
    Don't know if this is the right place to ask. What is the best lead hardness tester that you guys have found?

thanks,
    rmcc
    Through the (~50?) years I've acquired many. The two "best" imho are the Cabine and the Saeco. That said, however, I -- and this may very well just be a "me, only" -- truly believe these are rather "subjective". Perhaps my ineptness (?) -- but I find pretty much all lead hardness testers as great tools for casters, checking hardness variations in MY melt alloys. E.g., if it comes out what may be a tad too soft, I drop on some RotoMetal 'hard'... and voila: hardness achieved. On the other hand, I've never had too much faith in just checking an alloy to get what I consider an accurate reading. Too many "hard" (commercial) bullet tests have kind of reinforced this.
    But, again, for checking personal alloy harness -- both the Cabine and Saeco have functioned admirably.
    geo

Boolit Master
    One practice I have to reduce variability a bit is to use the same bullet mold to check any alloy I make. I have a 45 LC mold that throws a large meplat pill, so it provides a nice flat surface to place the indenter. Consistency is good in most any type of measurement practice, so this is just one small habit.

Quote Originally Posted by deces View Post
    This should make reading measurements with the Lee kit very easy.
    https://www.thereloadersnetwork.com/...ness-test-kit/
    After posting this I decided to pull the trigger on the kit. I got tired of holding my breath and turning blue trying to read the Lee scope by hand. The kit came in today and it in practice is amazing! Lee needs to offer an injection molded version.
    These men and their hypnotized followers call this a new order. It is not new. It is not order.

Quote Originally Posted by HWooldridge View Post
    One practice I have to reduce variability a bit is to use the same bullet mold to check any alloy I make. I have a 45 LC mold that throws a large meplat pill, so it provides a nice flat surface to place the indenter. Consistency is good in most any type of measurement practice, so this is just one small habit.
    I do that, too. Bored out an old mould to make a flat-ended cylinder that fits easily into the SAECO. Cast a few of those at the beginning and end of each session. They stay with each batch of bullets that I care about, for future reference.

In the aerospace business these are called "coupons". I've also required test samples to be poured into a 6" Sonotube when managing critical concrete projects. Keeps the contractors honest.

Also, I turned a couple of cups that hold smaller bullets, to keep them straight in the SAECO.

And I use a jewelers' loupe to read it, rather than the naked eyeball.
    Cognitive Dissident

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12