Inline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLoad DataWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Suggestions for a budget air handgun?

Suggestions for a budget air handgun?

Looking for some suggestions. I am wanting to pick up an air powered handgun for taking care of some pesky magpies and starlings that keep harassing our outdoor pets. Needs to be neighbor friendly. Shots would typically be less than 50 feet. Need to keep the cost fairly low (sub-$400) due to limited budget, but also want one that will be fairly reliable, probably .22 cal but not totally opposed to .177. My only experience with airguns has been with an old (maybe 45-50 yrs old) Benjamin pump rifle and a Crossman pump rifle purchased about 25 years ago.
    "We the people are the rightful masters of both
    Congress & the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution,
    but overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution."

Abraham Lincoln

Moderator Emeritus

I'm sure you'll get many diverse replies to your question, which I suggest may be analogous to, "the best beer brand", et cetera ! And, most all will no doubt be right on, too. I have a bevy of airguns, and the best answer I might suggest is to look into the Crosman 1077. This is a 12-shot repeating CO2 powered light carbine/rifle. It features a velocity of 780fps -- more than sufficient for your suggested targets at range you mentioned.
    Another great feature is it's $78.95 price with an added 10% off coupon to make it even less costly! Mine is accurate and repeatable.
    Yes -- you typed you are looking for an air-powered handgun; BUT, the only handguns I might consider are more costly to provide that which you want. My experience indicates that 99% el cheapo air handguns are pure junk. VERY loud, too. And -- also -- if seen by an unhappy neighbor, not necessarily a good thing for you in an urban environment.
    Hence -- take a look at the Crosman 1077? https://www.crosman.com/product/cros...ir-rifle-black
    Sorry -- for air handguns (I do have several) my only suggestions would be the Weihrauch and Beeman models (you can check these out at Pyramid Air or Airguns of Arizona web-sites) and they exceed your budgetary constraints.
    The quick repeat shots, quiet, and repeatability of the 1077 again makes it what would be my choice.
    BEST!
    geo
    Last edited by georgerkahn; 10-02-2022 at 12:20 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    George gave you excellent advice. You can buy a lot of CO2 and pellets with the money you save on a decent air pistol. Rifles are easier to hit with, quieter, and less "fearsome" looking if a neighbor spots you shooting.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

Back in January 2021 I bought a Crossman American Classic 1377BR pump .177 air pistol and I really like it. It is not a target pistol but it does murder small object at 25 yards or so. I have had a lot of "cheap" fun with it so far. No CO2 bottles to buy and certainly a lot cheaper shooting than .22lr these days. I also have a Crossman Classic 2100 pump .177 air rifle which I just recently acquired and have not shot as yet. Looking forward to being able to try it out. I also have a Crossman Model 1760 CO2 air rifle in .177 which is about 10 years old and have shot it quite a bit but it does take CO2 cyclinders and it will probably be shot a lot less in the future because I am a cheap old man and getting worse all the time. I came to air pistols and rifles late in life and wish I had discovered them years ago. Just my experience and not binding on ayone, james

Moderator Emeritus

Addendum -- Post my reply to your post I wondered what a couple of my prized air pistols are now selling at. The model which comes to mind -- I have one of each: basically the SAME pistol. albeit several reviews have given a wee favour towards the Weihrauch -- are the (Weihrauch) W70A and/or the Beeman 2370A. I have the pre-"A" model (the safety automatically is engaged -- a GREAT safety feature on the "A's") Beeman, as well as one of the Weihrauch 70A models. BOTH are excellent plus shooters, and you can see the price is in your suggested range. (I'd still go for the Crosman, if it were me ). Check this model out at https://www.airgunsofarizona.com/spr...ch-hw70a-.177/ Attachment 305215
    Good luck, whichever you may elect to purchase!
    geo

Quote Originally Posted by TNsailorman View Post
    Back in January 2021 I bought a Crossman American Classic 1377BR pump .177 air pistol and I really like it. It is not a target pistol but it does murder small object at 25 yards or so. I have had a lot of "cheap" fun with it so far. No CO2 bottles to buy and certainly a lot cheaper shooting than .22lr these days. I also have a Crossman Classic 2100 pump .177 air rifle which I just recently acquired and have not shot as yet. Looking forward to being able to try it out. I also have a Crossman Model 1760 CO2 air rifle in .177 which is about 10 years old and have shot it quite a bit but it does take CO2 cyclinders and it will probably be shot a lot less in the future because I am a cheap old man and getting worse all the time. I came to air pistols and rifles late in life and wish I had discovered them years ago. Just my experience and not binding on ayone, james
    I am also a fan of the Crossman pump-up air pistols. At airgun range they are extremely accurate, and have enough power to penetrate the plywood board I used for a backstop (oops!). very economical to shoot.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

I’m pretty sure magpies are not legal to kill. Personally I’d get a cheap pump master 760. They are plenty accurate enough at close range.

This is what I found just now with a quick internet search. It looks like they can only be hunted when committing depredation.

R657-3-7. Nuisance Birds -- Nuisance Porcupine, Striped Skunk, and Squirrel.
    (1)(a) A person is not required to obtain a certificate of registration or a federal permit to kill American Crows or Black-billed Magpies when found committing, or about to commit, depredations upon ornamental or shade trees, agricultural crops, livestock, or wildlife, or when concentrated in such numbers and manner as to constitute a health hazard or other nuisance, provided:

(i) none of the birds killed pursuant to this section, nor their plumage, are sold or offered for sale; and

(ii) any person killing American Crows or Black-billed Magpies shall:

(A) allow any federal warden or conservation officer unrestricted access over the premises where American Crows or Black-billed Magpies are killed; and

(B) furnish any information concerning the control operations to the division or federal official upon request.

(b) A person may kill American Crows or Black-billed Magpies by any means, excluding bait, explosives or poison, and only on or over the threatened area.

(c) American Crows and Black-billed Magpies killed pursuant to this section shall be collected immediately and must be disposed of at a landfill that accepts wildlife carcasses or must be buried or incinerated.
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Boolit Buddy

I´d say that there fills the bill. Artemis CP-2 to me, Snowpeak CP-2 to you. Comes as seen, yep with a pistol and carbine barrel both and a shoulder stock.
    As above this is a CO2 gun though why some smart porting will make it more than capable enough for what you ask (read - use a common drill bit).

I bought mine with the sole intent of creating what was not, a PCP gun.
    Uhu. Kept the basic CP-2, just cut the tank off and made me a 300cc one to keep the remains, for lack of better words, as a very light and rugged carbine.

That there is of just shy of 90J actually, which is more than ample.

I second what the others say though, a PCP pistol (or a souped up CO2 ditto) is loud. If a so called moderator is installed that just brings that the pistol in case grows as far as length... so when does it stop being a normal "pistol" in that regard?

As in the last pic there though, that thing is as light and nimble as you could ever ask. Accurate too. As it stands there it´ll put the lights out for any pest within 100 meters with ease.
    This though as modified into a PCP. As a ported CO2.. say 30 meters.

Quote Originally Posted by Racing View Post

I´d say that there fills the bill. Artemis CP-2 to me, Snowpeak CP-2 to you. Comes as seen, yep with a pistol and carbine barrel both and a shoulder stock.
    As above this is a CO2 gun though why some smart porting will make it more than capable enough for what you ask (read - use a common drill bit).

I bought mine with the sole intent of creating what was not, a PCP gun.
    Uhu. Kept the basic CP-2, just cut the tank off and made me a 300cc one to keep the remains, for lack of better words, as a very light and rugged carbine.

That there is of just shy of 90J actually, which is more than ample.

I second what the others say though, a PCP pistol (or a souped up CO2 ditto) is loud. If a so called moderator is installed that just brings that the pistol in case grows as far as length... so when does it stop being a normal "pistol" in that regard?

As in the last pic there though, that thing is as light and nimble as you could ever ask. Accurate too. As it stands there it´ll put the lights out for any pest within 100 meters with ease.
    This though as modified into a PCP. As a ported CO2.. say 30 meters.
    That is neat! Looks like some kind of Sci-Fi sniper weapon.

Thanks for the suggestions. The newer rifle I have is a Daisy PowerLine 858 that I purchased for my son in his pre-teen years. He never really wanted it, so it has sat in my closet for a few years. I have wanted a cheap air pistol for a while now, and this would provide a reasonable "excuse" to get one.

It is legal to kill magpies that are nuisance animals. We have a small dog that is afraid to go outside anymore because of all the magpies. We also have (care for) several feral cats that are continually being harrassed by multiple mapgies (up to 10 or more at a time), even to the point of chasing them on the ground. They pretty clearly fall within the guidelines posted by WRideout above. I believe the laws surrounding them in Utah are pretty close to those he posted.
    "We the people are the rightful masters of both
    Congress & the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution,
    but overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution."

Abraham Lincoln

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I like my browning "branded" 800 express 22 cal brake barrel pistol. Hits like a freight train. It's powerful enough for squirrels and rabbits at backyard ranges. Complete pass throughs with rocket and terminator pellets.

https://www.pyramydair.com/product/h...ol?m=2717#5339

I beleive this is the modern version of mine. Sign up for their mailing and it's another $10 off which would take it to $99. It's way pretty powerful than any CO2 pistol.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 10-03-2022 at 09:59 AM.

WRideout

"I am also a fan of the Crossman pump-up air pistols. At airgun range they are extremely accurate, and have enough power to penetrate the plywood board I used for a backstop (oops!). very economical to shoot.

Wayne "

I have a pair of 1322's that I bought with the shoulder stock. One of those has had the steel breech and rail added to it. To which I mounted a 50$ Red Dot sight with a 2.5 moa dot. At 20 feet rested on the back of a computer chair it will put 5 into one ragged hole. I only paid 70$ for the gun and shoulder stock. Best is I decide what power level I want with each shot. 2 pumps for inside the basement or 4 or 5 for a varmint depending on range. And it shoots the cheap Crossman Premier Hollow Points @ 6.24 per 500 tin just fine.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Speaking of Crossman pump-up air pistols.
    I have a model 130 bought in 1958 still with the manual and the original box.
    It belonged to a former boss and was given to me by his wife after his passing.

I mounted a camoflauge tasco PP2 red dot on my Browning 800 express. It shoots .5" groups or better off a rest at 25 yards with rocket and terminator pellets. I also removed and polished the trigger group. It brakes around 2 pounds or so. Best part is I don't have to buy CO2 cartridges and it only takes ONE "pump" to brake the barrel down and load. At the time and it still might be the fastest production 22 cal springer pistol.

Thought I had an old photo of it in Imgur. It’s the only “economy” 22 cal “air” spring pistol I’ve found that will dispatch raccoons and possum with the right pellet choice when using it for my trap line. Plastic tipped pellets no. A exterminator metal tipped pellet or BB/pellet combo yes. It will exit squirrels and rabbits under 20 yards with those pellets and anchor them most the time where they stand. It’s pretty powerful for the $129 I paid for it at the time. I believe the link above is out of them but they are $99 with email sign up. Looks like the barrel might be shorter or they incorporated the cocking aid into the barrel now. Beats buying an expensive PCP set up with tanks and a compressor.

Last edited by Tripplebeards; 10-06-2022 at 08:51 AM.

Boolit Master
    The Crossman 2240 will be your friend.
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken

The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naïve and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair.― H.L. Mencken

Boolit Buddy
    Motivational instrument for tree rats, nuisance critters etc. = Airsoft with at least 23 "round" capacity magazine (prefer green gas for propulsion). Permanent removal instrument for above listed critters: Crosman 1377 (.177/.22) with scope, carbine stock, and other barbie bling as desired. Ideal to have a 'hide' when engaging said nuisance critters.
    West of Beaver Dick's Ferry.

Boolit Mold
    I have one of these and have dispatched birds, skunks, groundhogs, and raccoons with same.

https://www.airgunsofarizona.com/spr...-model-34-.22/