MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading EverythingWideners
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision

Thread: shipping primed brass?

Boolit Grand Master

shipping primed brass?

Fed Ex or UPS? I understand its a no-no thru the PO. Does it cost extra? Thinking of selling some brass, but might be best to de-prime the stuff first

Boolit Grand Master

https://forum.accurateshooter.com/th...e-law.3812580/

FOR UPS AND FEDEX ONLY -

Cases, primed (up to and including 50 caliber) are regulated for shipment by ground only through 49CFR § 172.102 SP(special provision) 50 that states:
    " Cases, cartridge, empty with primer which are made of metallic or plastic casings and meeting the classification criteria of Division 1.4 are not regulated for domestic transportation"
    49CFR § 172.102 (page 312) - http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-201...sec172-102.pdf

Primed cases meet the classification criteria of Division 1.4c UN0379 - however they are exempted and classified as NON-REGULATED (NOT ORM-D, NOT HAZ-MAT, NOT the new "Y" Limited Quantities classification that will replace ORM-D). Some manufacturers (as per the MSDS) classify their primed cases as UN0055, but the same DOT 1.4c classification applies, as does SP50.

Packaging for primed cases is regulated by 49CFR §173.62 - Packaging instruction #136, which specifies that the primed cases have to be in a bag or box, then packed in a UN 4G standard box - which is defined by 49 CFR §178.601 (g)(2). So - you can't just ship them to your buddy in a shoebox, but most of us out here have received boxes of reloading components from various vendors, and most/all of these shipping boxes meet this criteria. For more mind-bending regulatory details, refer to 178.601.
    49CFR §173.62 - http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-201...-sec173-62.pdf
    49 CFR §178.601 (g)(2) - http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-201...sec178-601.pdf

There is no hazmat fee, extra paperwork, no sign-by-adult or other hoops to jump through - BUT - both UPS and FedEX advised me to clearly mark (with a sharpee) "non-regulated as per SP50" on the outside of the box to ensure that no in-transit problems occur..........because I guess their employees can be as confused as I have been on this subject and you don't want your box torn or ripped into.

As per both UPS and FedEx - You CANNOT take packages with primed cases to your local UPS/FedEx store or mom-and-pop drop off service. They must be taken to a UPS/FedEx corporate-run package hub that has walk-in/retail shipping services.

FOR US POSTAL SERVICE -

Prohibited. Period.
    See page 160 at: http://pe.usps.com/cpim/ftp/pubs/pub52/pub52.pdf
    ***USPS Publication 52, Appendix A, "Cases, cartridge, empty with primer"***
    They don't have to subscribe to all parts of 49CFR § 172.102's special provisions......because they are special I guess.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

You may run into a problem with UPS. The store in Martinsburg, WV, refuses to take anything that has to do with firearms. I had a reflex sight with a return label. When I told the guy what it was, he refused to take it. If using UPS, you may have to take it to a UPS depot as opposed to a franchise store.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Just don't take anything to a UPS STORE. Only a depot. The stores are franchised and are worthless in my opinion. They don't have any idea of UPS rules and want to make up store specific rules.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master
    Thanks for the info

Boolit Buddy

While I don't believe anything has changed with respect to shipping primed brass, I think it only fair to disclose the info above is from a 2013 post on AccurateShooter. If you have any doubt whatsoever, please check current language in the CFRs.

Member XTR on that forum is a HAZMAT subject matter expert and saved my bacon a time or two.