Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataRotoMetals2Inline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision Wideners

Thread: LPP in .44Mag

Boolit Master

LPP in .44Mag

I’m planning on getting a .44Mag sometime in the next year. Large pistol magnum primers might be the rarest variety of primers, and I have zero. Looking at my Lyman cast bullet handbook, only H110/Win296 and H-4227 use magnum primers. Plain large pistol primers are shown for IMR4227, N110, 2400, Enforcer, and Accurate #9. My Western load manual uses WLP for all powders, including A #11FS and A #5744.
    Is it common to use magnum primers for powders like 2400 anyways? What about HS-6?

Boolit Master
    If you can find Winchester primers, they are considered usable for magnum or standard, which must mean they are actually mag.

I have used standard CCI primers with 2400 and observed no differences.

Boolit Master
    ooops,Ive been using large rifle primers with no issues...

I have never loaded a .44 mag round with magnum primers. Shot lots of H110/296.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

I have been loading 44's with standard primers using H110, 296, 2400(both the old Hercules and Alliant), Unique and Titegroup for years and never had a problem.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Bub
    Shot lots of 44 Mags over the years, H110, 2400 & 296 and never used a magnum primer.
    Mark
    NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

Boolit Grand Master

I have been using Winchester WLPs as my standard primer for many years in 41s, 44s and 45s with powders from Bullseye up through H110. They've always performed excellently because WLPs are made to ignite 296 in the magnum cartridges yet perform excellently with target level loads.

However, years ago particularly when shooting in cold weather (usually less than 40 degrees) I found I got hangfires in the 357, 41 and 44 Magnum cartridges when standard CCI (500s and 300) or Remington primers were used. Switching the CCI 350 and 550 magnum primers cured that problem. Now, living down Arizona way, I don't have that problem as standard 300s and 500s work fine. If I were to go back up north in the winter (God forbid!) my magnum loads with H110 would have WSP or WLP primers in them and if not then they would have CCI 350 or 550s in them.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Moderator Emeritus

to piggy back onto what Larry mentioned.

Years ago, I was told there is basically three reasons to use Mag primers.
    1. for shooting in extreme cold weather
    2. when using difficult to ignite powders (ie: H110 or W296...and there are others)
    3. for large capacity cases (ie: S&W460Mag or the belted magnum rifle cartridges...and there are others)

Generally, I follow what the published data says, but when loading without published data, I go by the 3 rules above.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

According to Ross Seyfried, Elmer Kieth never used magnum pistol primers either.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

I'm a big Winchester primer fan.
    They've done fine for me in .44Mag.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    I use Alliant 2400 and IMR-4227 in .45 Colt for "magnum level" loads. I typically use the Winchester LPPs which are touted as "semi-magnum" primers. I could likely use standard LPPs for 2400 and never notice a difference. I'm less sure of that with IMR-4227, but the Win LPPs seem to ignite it quite well.
    I am not a fan of W296/H110, and avoid its use except in .30 U.S. carbine. Nonetheless, were I to be constrained to use it in a large-bore magnum pistol cartridge, I'D fully expect the Win. LPPs to make it go, without a problem. As mentioned, H110/W296 might very well work perfectly okay with standard LPPs, but I'D want magnum-level primers for this/these particular propellant(s).
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Master
    CCi and Federal primers come up for sale every now and then. I haven’t seen WLP since the shortage started. Fortunately, I have one brick of WLP. Maybe Winchester primers will be available for purchase two years from now?

Boolit Master
    To answer one of the OP's questions: HS-6 is an excellent powder for mid level loads in 44 magnum. Standard primers work fine with it. I run loads from 900 fps up to 1100 fps with cast 245 grain semi-wadcutters, and HS-6 burns clean, doesn't have excessive muzzle flash, and makes one of the most accurate loads in both of my 44's. I like it better than Unique for general purpose cast 44 mag loads.