Snyders JerkyInline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Load DataRepackboxReloading EverythingWideners
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dead CCI pistol primers

Dead CCI pistol primers

I recently picked up a Rock Island .38 snubnose. I loaded 12 148gr WC and 12 158gr SWC and today took it out for a spin.

2 of the rounds in the first cylinder failed to fire, and 3 from the next cylinder. As a test, I ran 12 Aguila standard pressure and these ran without any problems.

All of the failed rounds showed nice, healthy primer strikes.
    My primers were about 10 years old, but they were stored in a dry basement. I didn't want to use them, but with the local shortages it's all I had.

Is it possible for primers to go bad over the course of 10 years? I've heard a lot of reports of people using decades old ones.
    Too much of a good thing is an awesome thing!

Super Moderator

I have had similar experiences with CCI SPP. If the revolver has a strain screw, make sure it's all the way tight. I have a couple of S&W revolvers that have been "tuned", and Federal SPP are the only ones that are 100% reliable in them.

After you pop them out can always (with ear pro) whack them with a hammer to test.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Brassmonkey View Post
    After you pop them out can always (with ear pro) whack them with a hammer to test.
    And eye pro!

Boolit Master
    CCI and Winchester are generally felt to be a little harder than other primer makes. That is why it is suggested that you adjust the hammer strain screw. Not sure about the Rock Island revolvers, but this works with most S&W with the leaf mainspring. Often this spring is loosened to make the trigger pull lighter, but is a compromise.

Boolit Master

CCI 450's did that to me, 17 out 100 failed to fire with Big dents in the primer cup. In 35 years and 193,675 rounds loaded that's a first. These were used in an Encore rifle and Ruger American in 300 blackout.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4F534F0D-D035-4D1C-88B3-DB741B6C1701.jpeg 
Views:	46 
Size:	36.9 KB 
ID:	305192

Run em through another weapon and see if they go pop.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Boolit Buddy
    I suppose they could go bad. The last batch of reloads I did were with primers from the 60's, so far all went bang. Did you try firing them a second time?

Sounds like you need to send them to me for "proper disposal".

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dave W. View Post
    I suppose they could go bad. The last batch of reloads I did were with primers from the 60's, so far all went bang. Did you try firing them a second time?

Sounds like you need to send them to me for "proper disposal".
    These were new stock; I shoot 12,000 rounds a year never have old stock of anything

Super Moderator

John in WI, I'm going to move your thread to the Cast Boolits forum, as I think it's a better fit than the Testing Area. I'll leave a two day redirect so you can find it.

Boolit Master

I highly doubt the primers are bad. Rock Island revolvers are known for being a little out of spec. My guess is you may have seated the primers a hair deeper than the factory loads. I would load a few in a different firearm and see what happens.

Boolit Master
    I’ve got primers here from the sixties and they all go bang when used. It’s your gun as suggested above or they aren’t seated correctly. I’ve never gotten a batch of “bad” primers, but I believe anything’s possible….in this care rare though.

Boolit Master
    Assuming that the batch of primers was good when it left the factory, for all to have misfired with a good firing pin impact implies that the primers were deaden or deactivated. Normally does not happen with an experienced reloader that knows how to handle and store primers.
    Is there anyway that lubricant or some other contaminant could have gotten on them. If not it is a big mystery.

Boolit Master

I am not the only one having problems with the CCI 450's other people have had the same with the new ones. Only problem I have ever had with primers. One store here in town has a whole shelf of them because everyone is scared to buy more.

All the rest have gone bang see below.

See below

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DCA3D781-F45A-4076-B7A5-0CD91F4A6711.jpeg 
Views:	42 
Size:	62.0 KB 
ID:	305199

Boolit Grand Master

Primers are very robust. I have been given primers that have been underwater for three days yet when they were dried the fired.

Most likely is light firing pin hits. Federal primers are the first, second and third choice for the folks running tricked out revolvers in competition.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

I've had issues with Winchester LP in 44 mag when I wasn't seating them fully. Occasionally, I would have one that went 'click'. If I rolled back the cylinder and tried again it always went bang. The first hit was seating the primer fully...
    Now with 44 mag, I make sure it's fully seated when priming.
    WWG1WGA

Thanks for all the idea. I don't have another .38 to test these on, but I did a bit of reading and it seems like light primer strikes are not uncommon in the RIA 206. Several people said the easy fix is to use a Wolff spring for a S&W J-frame. I may start there. Drop in a new spring, and see what happens from there.
    Too much of a good thing is an awesome thing!

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    John -

New pistol . . . . it may very well be the primers, but . . . .

I had an issue many years ar with a nice S & W 15. The pistol was used nut new to me. Like you, the primers showed what I thought were good strikes. I put them through my Smith M & P and each one fired with no problems. In my case, I discovered the previous owner had shortened the tension screw on the main spring. Then I remembered that I was Shooting in single action (IIRC). So, I ran some loads from the same batch in single action and had misfires. Did double action and the went bang just fine. Running in DA gave enough extra oomph to set the primers off. In my case, I replaced the mainspring tension screw with a new one and no more misfires in SA or DA.

Not saying your new revolver is the issue - but the advice given to try the misfires in another revolver that you know goes bang each time may show you if the problem is the primers or the revolver.

I have always tried to get CCI primers as I like them. With the shortage, I started using the oldest in my stash and they are probably close to 20 years old - always stored in airtight military style ammo boxes in cool dry area. So far every one I've used has worked - but that's not to say that a different lot number may not have some that won't.

Good luck!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Brassmonkey View Post

I've experienced some CCI small pistol primers that were total duds, and they were NOT old. I punched them out, took them outside and laid them on the sidewalk, hit them with a hammer, and nothing. Just the sound of the hammer hitting concrete.

Boolit Master
    Twice in my lifetime I have had a bad brick of primers , in the late 80s I had trouble with a brick of small pistol primers - then again in the early 2010s with a brick of large rifle magnums both times the primers were CCI so it can happen . I know I'm going to be told it's possible to not seat primers properly and have a misfire but that wasn't the case both times the primers were the cause . I still use CCI primers but I only purchase them 1 brick at a time ( because of trust issues ) . Honestly until the last problem brick I used CCI for all my metallic loading but now when I order a case of 5K it's not going to be CCI .
    By the way CCI wasn't even interested in the lot number when I contacted them .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast