Inline FabricationRepackboxLoad DataRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Wideners

Thread: Looking for .224" 40-GR FMJ Flat Points

Question Looking for .224" 40-GR FMJ Flat Points

OK, with apologies - I know this is off topic, but have gotten good non-cast advice here before.

I'm looking for 40-grain, flat point, FMJ bullets to load some mild squirrel loads in my .22 K-Hornet. Similar to .22 WRM bullets I have seen. MidwayUSA has some factory seconds pictured like this, but when they showed up today they were spire (not flat) points, so they're going back.

Now I'm at square one again.

Does anyone know where I might find what I'm looking for? I don't see anything like these at Sierra or Barnes.

TIA

PS I do have three different cast bullets from Lyman moulds to try at some point, too.
    If somebody were down on the corner handing out $20 bills, someone else would be complaining that it wasn't two $10s.

Boolit Master
    why not load them backwards and see how they go.... also factory 2nds in a finnicy cartridge like the hornet seems like a recipe for hair pulling and general frustration....

Boolit Buddy
    I don't think I've ever seen a flat point FMJ 40 gr .224 bullet. Next best is likely a hollow point or a ballistic tip.

Could take a file to the (lead) spire points, shouldn't take long to flatten them. A small fixture to hold them and you're golden.

45_Colt

Boolit Buddy

As Milky Dick suggest try shooting some of the lighter spire point bullets backwards. If they group good enough for hitting squirrel heads then you have a good low damage bullet

I have a few 46 gr jfn soft points(.218 Bee) but they will blow a good sized chunk from the varmint. Cast is the answer you are looking for I would think.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Moderator Emeritus
    Here are some 46gr bullets that are available:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/101093480

You could also just file the nose off the bullets you bought. If you make some type of fixture to hold the bullet, the weights should be pretty consistent. The fixture could be as simple as a piece of wood with a .224 or slightly larger hole drilled into it.

Boolit Master
    The 46 grain Speer flat nose already mentioned is about as close to what you are seeking as I can recall being offered by any bullet manufacturer. Not sure how slow you are going to have to push them to not blow a squirrel in half. Definitely well under the speeds of a 22 Magnum. I recall being surprised at how destructive a 22 Mag was when I 1st got one after using nothing but 22Lr to squirrel hunt all my life previously.

The load I use for squirrels in the 32-20 uses the Lyman 115 grain flat point at only 1,280 ft/sec and it is a squirrel thumper without blowing them apart. I bet that 46 grain Speer at about the same speeds would work perfectly too.

Boolit Grand Master
    If your heart is really set on a 40 grain FMJ FP, you may have to invest in a swaging setup. In years past there were kits to make jacketed projectiles using .22 brass as the jacket.

Also check your states hunting regulations, I know in Missouri FMJ is a no no for hunting. No idea about PA.

Robert

Midway sold 40 gr FN FMJ's in the mid 90's. IIRC WW made them. Have you ever seen a Hornady 45 gr BEE bullet? They are like a small XTP pistol bullet. What about the NOE Lyman 225107 .... 37 gr FN. I know a guy that stuck a bullet in his 222 trying to shoot jacketed at low velocity.

Moderator Emeritus

Lyman 224415 is your friend.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Buddy
    I bought a bunch of the 40 gr fmj flat point from Midway years ago. I shoot them in my 22 Jet H&R rifle. A small charge of Red Dot or Unique - quiet and deadly on squirrel size varmints.