Titan ReloadingLoad DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRepackbox
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Ruger 1, light primer hits

Boolit Master

Ruger 1, light primer hits

I have a older Ruger 1 and it occasionally has a light primer hit(primer gets shallow indent) and it does not matter what make of primer. Sometimes a recock will set it off. I totally disassembled and cleaned it to no avail. Any ideas?
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Master
    yip I have an idea..... both a begera break open and a Baikal break open will missfire IF the action hasnt been closed firmly enough... so maybe try moving the opening,closing lever firmly into the closed direction just to make sure... it may or may not work...the bakail caught me out again tonight.fireing pin drops but wont even touch primer....

Boolit Grand Master

May possibly be wear in the link not always clearing the disconnector mechanism. worn pins and or holes.

If the firing pin is hitting the primer off-center, it's a breechblock position issue, as mentioned above.

However, if the FP is hitting the primer in the center, the problem is most likely a FP or FP tunnel issue.

(If it was the mainspring, the issue would be consistent, not intermittent)

You mentioned cleaning it, but if the firing pin & the FP tunnel isn't examined for a bad FP tip and/or tiny bits in there & cleaned, the issue isn't going away anytime soon.

If any #1/#3 owner isn't comfortable doing a complete strip down, they should take it to a real gunsmith (not some AR parts-changer) to resolve the issue.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    It usually had i light hit in very cold temps. Aha, too much lube I thought. I did a complete dissemble and paid much attention to firing pin and it’s seat. I made a tool to scrape out the firing pin seat. The strike not dead center but almost. I was thinking hammer spring but I prefer to hear experience from someone with same problem rather than me chasing this rabbit hole. Not many parts in the gun but boy each part has a lot of function to do.
    Look twice, shoot once.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Make sure you are seating the primers to full depth.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master
    I have a #1 in 460 S&W and have the same problem. Maybe 4 out of 10 will light off. Disassembled the breechblock and cleaned, then re-assembled and tried again. No go. Pulled the breechblock out again and started measuring things, then pulled the breechblock out of another #1 and measured stuff. Seemed like a measurement was off about 0.005", so contacted Ruger and send the gun back in. They said everything was within specs and it was fine. When it got it back, it still would only go off part time. Swapped breechblocks. 100% ignition with the breechblock from the other gun. Guess I should have told them I lost the breechblock and to fit another one!!!

I would suspect headspace could be the problem. You didn’t mention what the rifle is chambered in but the gun might be fine and in perfect headspace but the ammo could be the problem. More unlikely if it were a rimmed cartridge but No. 1’s are not chambered in many rimmed rounds. Just a possibility !

Jedman