Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackbox
Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Members hit by Ian?

Moderator Emeritus

Members hit by Ian?

It is indeed so very sad to see the destruction of lives and property from the paths of hurricanes. A fair number of members on this forum have no doubt been affected. (I believe #1 resides in the Sunshine State!)
    If there is any way I might be able to provide some help, relief, or even just a kind word or two -- hesitate not in reaching out to me.
    Seeing Ian's path and the total destruction from it... albeit where I reside our major weather worry is ice storms which have the challenges of no electricity (which, for many = no heat), severe shortage of Essence to run generators, and even food in short supply for many -- this totally pales with what those affected by this horrendous storm are going through.
    All ARE in my thought and prayers -- and, again -- I will try best for any I may be able to help.
    geo

Things are bad in Florida, but they could be a lot worse.
    They could have had a Democrat for governor.

Boolit Master

The next assault is the Insurance Agent saying, "It isn't covered in your homeowner's policy", to everyone without flood insurance. Next is the total lack of materials - wiped out, nothing open - wiped out, river and tributary flooding to its unprecedented New Peak continues through NEXT TUESDAY before subsiding over the following week(s), inflation, higher fuel prices, higher lumber prices, unscrupulous Contractors, Carpet Baggers, stock market tanked, futures lost.

Pray. Just pray. This too shall pass...

Record High Water elevations are being set everywhere:
    https://water.weather.gov/ahps2/area.php?wfo=mlb

Somewhere is a map of the flood plain associated with every gage. Obviously, these maps will change as significantly larger flooded areas are mapped. Florida being "flat" and filling with flood water, many flood plains, the extent of flooding, will become co-mingled with other flood plains and become indistinguishable or unattributable to a single gage.

Not to make light, but this does "sum up" what I just wrote:

Last edited by Land Owner; 10-01-2022 at 05:36 AM.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Thank you for the kind thoughts.
    The essence of education is self reliance- T.H. White.

Currently seeking wood carving tools, wood planes, froes, scorps, spokeshaves... etc....

Cast Boolits Owner

Quote Originally Posted by georgerkahn View Post
    It is indeed so very sad to see the destruction of lives and property from the paths of hurricanes. A fair number of members on this forum have no doubt been affected. (I believe #1 resides in the Sunshine State!)
    If there is any way I might be able to provide some help, relief, or even just a kind word or two -- hesitate not in reaching out to me.
    Seeing Ian's path and the total destruction from it... albeit where I reside our major weather worry is ice storms which have the challenges of no electricity (which, for many = no heat), severe shortage of Essence to run generators, and even food in short supply for many -- this totally pales with what those affected by this horrendous storm are going through.
    All ARE in my thought and prayers -- and, again -- I will try best for any I may be able to help.
    geo
    Yes, I am at the top of the state. Once it reached me it was just wind and a steady medium rain. My damage was limited to leaves / branches on the ground as well as a pool full of leaves.
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

elma…., you’ve got that right. Yesterday DeSantis reminded looters that Florida is a 2nd Amendment state and warned them they may get shot by homeowners

Boolit Grand Master

The next assault is the Insurance Agent saying, "It isn't covered in your homeowner's policy", to everyone without flood insurance.

Why is that an assault? If you live in an area prone to flooding or major storms and don't have flood insurance that's your fault for not being a responsible adult. That's the same line of thinking of graduating from college with a Gender Studies degree, not being able to find a job and demanding someone else pay your student loans off.

Your picture of Florida is funny in a gallows humor kind of way. People with military in their background can appreciate that I think or most of us.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master

jonp...I'm a Civil Engineer (ret.), read everything, not a fanboy of insurance, and it will be "an assault". Most insured folk don't think. They are all about, "I'm OK with the insurance (used car) salesman's advice. I've got 'adequate' homeowner's insurance. These 'things' are never really 'that bad'." Then the insured, that survives, is told about the exclusion for water damage, after not reading or understanding the policy doesn't cover that, and when their loss most needs to be covered.

Who prepares for a 500-year flood? Do you even know what that is? Even the Federal Hwy Administration, State of Florida DOT, and Local County Road and Bridge require only the one-hundred-year (100-year) event in public bridge and highway culvert plans and construction. Roadside ditch and culvert drainage is designed to the 25-year event. That makes flooding above and beyond historic levels guaranteed when Nature overcomes the constructed event.

Who is "responsible" for that? Is it the insured's fault? Is it the insurance company's fault? It had not flooded in recorded history here (or there) before. We've never experienced a 500-year event either. It wasn't planned and construction wasn't designed for it to pass without incidents.

Where does the line get drawn? Might just as well just "go naked", save the insurance premium dollars, roll the dice, drink beer, party, and see what happens. Walk away. Let's not be responsible at all. Not everyone is financially viable.

I suspect the aftermath of a mega-tsunami (or 1000-year event) in the Atlantic that blanks Florida and some amount of Atlantic and Gulf coastal USA into a sand dune devoid of all life will in time be viewed by survivors and the non-affected as "just another sad day" in the annals of recorded history and poor planning for those in the path of that destruction.
    Last edited by Land Owner; 10-01-2022 at 07:55 AM.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

You don't have to live in the damage areas to feel the $$ effect of it.

Was a State Farm customer for years and years with ZERO claims. Without going into the sordid details...

Months after Katrina, we had lightning blow a full sized trashcan hole in our roof. State Farm basically said,go pound sand.

Just saying,insurance co's aren't your friend.

Yup, insurance rates for everybody going up this year. She asked why people didn't move their big boats someplace else - I say, 500 mi trip to safe water. Now why the McLaren guy didn't move his? And be sure to get your mosquito spray out, they will be real nasty for a couple months.
    Whatever!

Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    Yup, insurance rates for everybody going up this year. She asked why people didn't move their big boats someplace else - I say, 500 mi trip to safe water. Now why the McLaren guy didn't move his? And be sure to get your mosquito spray out, they will be real nasty for a couple months.
    I'll bet there will be plenty of deals on those boats soon! Small aircraft to.
    Give me something to believe in. Poison
    Arosmith What it takes
    A 12 step program

Moderator Emeritus

If you have a shortwave receiver ham radio is handling a lot of traffic out of the areas with no cell coverage. 14.325mhz+- interference upper side band. And somewhere in the 40 meter ham radio band above 7.2mhz... I have to much interference there to pick them up.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Land Owner View Post
    jonp...I'm a Civil Engineer (ret.), read everything, not a fanboy of insurance, and it will be "an assault". Most insured folk don't think. They are all about, "I'm OK with the insurance (used car) salesman's advice. I've got 'adequate' homeowner's insurance. These 'things' are never really 'that bad'." Then the insured, that survives, is told about the exclusion for water damage, after not reading or understanding the policy doesn't cover that, and when their loss most needs to be covered.

Who prepares for a 500-year flood? Do you even know what that is? Even the Federal Hwy Administration, State of Florida DOT, and Local County Road and Bridge require only the one-hundred-year (100-year) event in public bridge and highway culvert plans and construction. Roadside ditch and culvert drainage is designed to the 25-year event. That makes flooding above and beyond historic levels guaranteed when Nature overcomes the constructed event.

Who is "responsible" for that? Is it the insured's fault? Is it the insurance company's fault? It had not flooded in recorded history here (or there) before. We've never experienced a 500-year event either. It wasn't planned and construction wasn't designed for it to pass without incidents.

Where does the line get drawn? Might just as well just "go naked", save the insurance premium dollars, roll the dice, drink beer, party, and see what happens. Walk away. Let's not be responsible at all. Not everyone is financially viable.

I suspect the aftermath of a mega-tsunami (or 1000-year event) in the Atlantic that blanks Florida and some amount of Atlantic and Gulf coastal USA into a sand dune devoid of all life will in time be viewed by survivors and the non-affected as "just another sad day" in the annals of recorded history and poor planning for those in the path of that destruction.
    I don't really care what you do for a living. If you own a home in an area that is prone to flooding, hurricanes or other major disasters and you don't have the insurance to cover it then tough luck. Right now I'm paying higher insurance than I need to because I have to subsidize all those fools on the Outer Banks who built houses next to the ocean and that get destroyed by storms on a regular basis. Pay for insurance and if the rates are too high then live somewhere else. They are probably high for a reason and that goes for fire insurance in Cali. Build houses out in the woods that burn down every year and of course your insurance is going to be high. The companies are not in the business to lose money.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Most news organizations say this will put smaller insurance out of business, Your rates will go up! Comes a point where you just can not afford it. I will do what I can to help these people. Send a PM if you can and I will see what I can do to help.
    Give me something to believe in. Poison
    Arosmith What it takes
    A 12 step program

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    My, my jonp . . . . you certainly are a cheerful sort of fellow!

For what it is worth . . . WE ALL PAY HIGHER INSURANCE RATES because of things such as this, and tornados, wildfires, etc. AND, you are correct . . . Insurance companies are not in the business to lose money. BUT, most insurance agents I have dealt with in the past 60 years are pretty much "order takers", out to get their cut and they aren't eve completely knowledgeable of what they are selling.

Personally, I have dealt with two complete losses due to fire - a commercial building i owned that a tenant torched and got away with it and my M in L who lost everything when her apartment building burned due to electrical . . . and I have seen more than my share of losses suffered by many when I was on the fire department. A person pays insurance premiums for years with no claims and when they do have a loss, the Adjuster is out to settle the claim as cheaply as he can.

NONE of the residents in Florida or other places affected by this hurricane ASKED for it . . . and yea, many probably are not insured as they should be . . . for many reasons . . . low income, fixed income, etc. . . . . but according to you they should have moved somewhere else? Hmmmm . . . . that if they aren't covered fully for their loss . . . tough luck . . . it's their own fault?

I think it's nice that you have the means to make sure that you are fully covered by insurance and that you'll never suffer a "loss" because you are so responsible that you have everything covered and can live with no worry. I notice that you don't list where you are from . . . doesn't really matter and that's your business . . . but I hope that you will remember that any location can have catastrophes happen.

It's pretty easy to stand back and say that it's a person's own fault if they suffer a loss. Sort of makes me wonder if you really know what "loss" is. Have you ever had to do search and rescue after a tornado? See the destruction one causes . . . how will completely take a building and make it disappear and the one right net door to it be totally collapsed? Have you ever had to crawl in looking for survivors and work so many hours that you can't think you can take another step but you still have to go on because there is work to do? Have you ever had to roll up on a house fire in the middle of the night only to find people standing in the yard in their nightclothes, screaming that there is still someone inside as they watch everything they own burn? Have you ever had to crawl inside a burning building and do a search for anyone? Or worse yet, have you ever had to sift for what little remains you can find of a human being in the ashes of what is left, or go inside to retrieve a beloved pet and have to tell a child how sorry you are that you couldn't get to it in time? I have and you never forget those things. The material things can be replaced, but there are some things that can never be replaced . . . and until you see and experience those things, you don't know what true loss is and I hope you never have to find out.

Lives have been lost . . . some people have lost everything and for many, it may well be such a shock that they will not survive. It doesn't matter if they are rich or poor, black, white or brown or anything else. If they had insurance or not . . . they didn't ask for this and it's a time when people should be helping other people . . . not passing judgment about what they should have or have not done or what they should have had and didn't. There are a lot of folks with a very hard road ahead of them to walk in order to get their lives back in order and they need all the help they can get, regardless of who they are and what they have or don't have.

My Dad always said, "people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones" . . . maybe some folks ought to remember that . . . regardless of how much insurance they have on their glass house.

Boolit Master
    Bed Bug Billy , I could not have said it any better and most likely would have got hollered at by a mod for unkind thoughts/words /Ed
    Last edited by Edward; 10-01-2022 at 05:38 PM.

Boolit Master

Land Holder, you are not that far from Edgewater, Fl. where a dear friend lives. He moved down there for a really good job about 3 yrs ago. I haven't been able to get in touch by any means. I am not asking anything I am just a old man worrywort. May the good Lord help you in your recovery efforts.
    Ole Jack.
    "'Necesity' is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of Tyrants: it is the creed of slaves."
    William Pitt, 1783
    "America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we faulter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." Abraham Lincoln.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    Things are bad in Florida, but they could be a lot worse.
    They could have had a Democrat for governor.
    Did a Hurricane with a Democrat governor; they looked at how your county voted before you got help.

Boolit Master
    There is a lot of Doug fir softwood stacked on the ground from this summer's clearcuts Near my house that hasn't been sold yet. Hopefully that will help members of our community in Ian's path who need 2x4's, 2x6's, and plywood (lots and lots of plywood considering the size of a lot of the trees on the ground). As a volunteer first responder, my thought are with all affected. Doing house-to-house SAR is only for the strongest.
    Last edited by quilbilly; 10-01-2022 at 11:01 PM.

Boolit Master

I can understand how a person might not be able to afford Flood Insurance. I can’t understand how anyone with a fifth grade education would be unaware of what Home Owners Insurance does and doesn’t cover. Particularly those that reside in a low lying area. The words ‘Florida’ and ‘Flood Insurance’ are practically synonymous. The HO policies
    I’ve seen go to great lengths to point out the policy does not include flood coverage.
    Our home is 3.5 miles from the Inter-coastal, 4.5 from the Atlantic. The elevation is 21’ above SL, so not a zone that a financial institution would require Flood Insurance on. To me it’s a no brainer.
    Our Flood Policy is either 5 or $600 per year. Pretty much doubled in the last ten years. Max coverage is 50k. Only covers rising water. Not rain, wind driven rain, roof blew-away rain, only rising water..
    Looking at the pictures of destruction from Ian, 50k won’t go very far. Flood insurance is better than nothing, but not a lot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast