RepackboxTitan ReloadingWidenersSnyders Jerky
Load DataInline FabricationRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: .45-70 NOE RD mould , 315 or 350 grain pb?

.45-70 NOE RD mould , 315 or 350 grain pb?

Wanting a new Ranch Dog mould for our Browning 1885 Hi-wall. I am pretty sure it has a longer throat, I have been seating past the crimp groove, just off the lands with the Lee 340 and 405 grain bullets? Planning on shooting a lot of 'Trapdoor', Unique loads. Can use a plain base aluminum check, if we need a little more velocity. Either should be soft on the shoulder. Leaning toward the 350. Yes, NOE has a sale on now. Thanks, Tom

Boolit Buddy
    If I were to order a NOE mold for the 45/70 and hunting was going to be one of the uses I would pick the 350. Specifically one of the HP versions, they come with the hollow point, cup point and flat point pins. Would be a very versatile boolit, from mice to moose so to speak. I have a number of molds for the 45/70 from 300 to 525 grains and the 340-350 get the most use.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hc18flyer View Post
    Wanting a new Ranch Dog mould for our Browning 1885 Hi-wall. I am pretty sure it has a longer throat, I have been seating past the crimp groove, just off the lands with the Lee 340 and 405 grain bullets? Planning on shooting a lot of 'Trapdoor', Unique loads. Can use a plain base aluminum check, if we need a little more velocity. Either should be soft on the shoulder. Leaning toward the 350. Yes, NOE has a sale on now. Thanks, Tom
    I had the 4 cav 2 PB /2 GC sold it and replaced with the PB as it's all I need . I keep the BHN @ 8-9 on my Cabin Tree tester (no hollow point needed) the FP with that BHN does everything I need with accuracy to 200 yds impressive mushroom and mostly blood trails Ray Charles could follow (Blind and dead) but you get the point ,and thats with 25.5 gr of 2400 powder and a 1/2 gr Dacron easy on the shoulder too!/Ed

Boolit Grand Master

I have two of the original RD molds 350 and 425 respectively. I cast 20-1 and have never, EVER, recovered a bullet from any animal I have shot with either of them. I have not ever seen a need for a HP mold either as all of the game I have shot were DRT. The 425 usually gets the most use because it is slightly more accurate in my rifles (five 45/70's and two 458 WM). A medium load of 2400 will get me 1650 fps. which is good enough for me. I usually like to stalk within 50 yards when hunting.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!