Reloading EverythingRepackboxLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Wideners Snyders Jerky

Thread: High Volume .32 cal Mold Suggestions

Boolit Master

High Volume .32 cal Mold Suggestions

My collection of .32 caliber firearms has grown over the years. I am loading for a variety of .32 acp handguns, a couple 7.62 Tok pistols, .30 Luger, and a .32 acp sub gun. Up until now I have been using the Lyman #311252 which has been a fantastic mold. The bullets feed great and accuracy is excellent. Casting thousands of projectiles from a 2 cavity mold however is getting laborious. Most of the available 4 and 6 cavity molds I see are all flat nose, and will likely cause feeding issues in some of my firearms. The 98 gr Lee seems a bit heavy. What would you guys suggest for preferably a 6 banger?

Boolit Master
    If you care to, you might consider getting the Lee mold, remove the hold down bolt and the sprue hinge bolt and mill off the base band. Then drill out the lower lube groove to make a nice thick base band. Sort of guessing since you are not specific about the final weight.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bannister View Post
    If you care to, you might consider getting the Lee mold, remove the hold down bolt and the sprue hinge bolt and mill off the base band. Then drill out the lower lube groove to make a nice thick base band. Sort of guessing since you are not specific about the final weight.
    My concern with the Lee is the weight. 98 gr is heavy for .32 acp. Doable, but considering some of my pistols and 100 years old, a steady diet would not be good.

Boolit Master
    MP has a few 8 cavity molds, nothing listed that fits your needs.

H&G made 10 cavity armory molds

I think NOE, Arsenal and Accurate make 5 cavity molds.
    Last edited by Mal Paso; 09-30-2022 at 06:44 PM.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Paso View Post
    MP has a few 8 cavity molds, nothing listed that fits your needs.

H&G made 10 cavity armory molds

I think NOE, Arsenal and Accurate make 5 cavity molds.
    Do any of those guys offer a true RN design? The brief looking I ded it seemed all those smaller outfits didn't offer that option.

Boolit Buddy

I think your best available mould is the Lee 6 CAVITY 311-93-1R. https://leeprecision.com/6-cavity-311-93-1r.html

Boolit Grand Master
    Don't be afraid of an RNFP. I have loaded several thousand Ranch Dog 315-75 boolits and have had perfect function in my Tomcat, Colt 1903's, and FN 1922 as well as a light plinker in 32 S&W Long. NOE sells them as the TL314-78-RF-BD5, they show the 5 cavity in stock and they are on sale until Oct 15th 15% off.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3703 (2).jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	50.4 KB 
ID:	305178
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by rintinglen View Post
    Don't be afraid of an RNFP. I have loaded several thousand Ranch Dog 315-75 boolits and have had perfect function in my Tomcat, Colt 1903's, and FN 1922 as well as a light plinker in 32 S&W Long. NOE sells them as the TL314-78-RF-BD5, they show the 5 cavity in stock and they are on sale until Oct 15th 15% off.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3703 (2).jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	50.4 KB 
ID:	305178
    I might do that. That makes me a feel a bit better. I also shoot a 1922 and a 1903. My biggest concern is my VZ 61, which has a slightly unusual feed ramp. I guess if it doesn't like them, I can use them in the others. Thanks for the tip. 5 per drop sure beats 2.

Boolit Grand Master
    I’d say my friend rintinglen has the ideal solution… there just aren’t that many options out there for the light bullet you’re seeking, especially with the current “supply chain” situation…

I sorta envy you guys your Browning 1922s. I owned two at separate times a lifetime ago, the first a really nice collectible bring-back with holster that I sold off before “messing it up”, and later a “project gun”. I had big plans for the latter but as with many of my plans then and now, they went “aft agley”. It was a neat project on paper at least and I’ve often wondered how it would have turned out.

I wish I could be more help on your mould question, but everything I use seems to start at about 95 gr and go up from there. You wouldn’t think 32 caliber and “bigger is better” would go together, but it is what it is.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    just a quick FYI- RMR bullets is having a sale on 60-65 gr .313 jacketed bullets
    Loren

Boolit Master

I would second rintinglen's vote for the NOE Ranch Dog. I haven't run that one in a huge variety of guns, but the .380 version has functioned flawlessly for me across Colt, Glock, Walther, and FN. The 135gr 9mm version has been excellent across a wide spectrum of guns, and the 234gr .45 (mostly) solves my 1911 needs.

I would also suggest that bullet on the basis that it's a tumble luber. I've been shifting that direction for handguns as much as I can since lube-sizing (in addition to a low mold cavity count) is one of the bottlenecks to productivity. Swirling them around a couple hundred at a time in a plastic cat treat container beats pulling a lever on each one.

If a flat nose bullet is designed properly for autos, the auto doesn't know it's shooting a flat nose, as the only thing contacting the ramp and top of the barrel on tip-down will be the ogive. I don't really know the Skorpion, but as fast as they run, I can't imagine they subject the ammo to a set of really aggressive feeding angles. There ARE some RNFP .32 FMJ loads out there on the market which might let you cheaply test the theory.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.