Inline FabricationLoad DataWidenersRepackbox
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I have a friendly question

Boolit Grand Master

I have a friendly question

I'm totally ignorant when it comes to computers and site / member protocol .
    What I don't know about this strange computer generated world of Cast Boolits is simply amazing ... my questions involve "friends"

Below my name there has appeared a message " 1 Incoming Friend Requests "
    I have no idea what this means ... or what I should do .

Could someone explain . What happens if I accept the friends request ...
    What are my duties as a friend . I've been on this site a while and never knew there was such a thing .

I don't want to make anyone mad ... rejecting people's offer of friendship isn't very nice , but I don't know what my duties or responsibilities would be ...
    I don't want to promise to do something ...that I can't come through on .

What's a friend supposed to do for the other friend .
    I tried doing a search on the terms "friends" and "friend request" but came up empty handed ...
    Any help with friends explanations will be appreciated .

Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Moderator Emeritus

It's for networking...you know, like social media.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    What are my duties as a friend .
    A friend is someone who will come and bail you out of jail.
    A REAL friend will be sitting next to you in jail and ask, "How the heck did we end up in here"?
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    It's for networking...you know, like social media.
    When I said I was Totally Ignorant I meant it ... to me networking is when you hook a fish ... I grab the net and scoop the fish out the water . What is networking and I don't do social media . I'm not on twitter , face book , tick tock , instagram , linkedin etc ... I belong to a few gun and reloading forums like The High Road , S&W , Ruger and Bayou Shooter ...

I've never had a friends request ... what does it mean ... what happens if I except it ?
    As a friend ... what happens ... I honestly don't know what this means and when I do things in an uninformed way ... it usually gets me in trouble .
    Can you are anyone explain what a friend request intails ?
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

A friend request is from a Cast Boolits member who has probably noted some of your comments and posts - and believes that the two of you have common interests/ideas/opinions/etc...

By "Accepting" a Friend request; the person is added to a list/directory of your "Friends". This will be located in your Member List area. Tabs there will be My Activity, About Me, Friends, and that area to be avoided "Infractions". Under the 'My Activity" you will see where you have made comments on posts; but also the Tab will track posts that "Your Friends" make. This allows one to keep track of comments, ideas, Tests, etc.. that someone with Common Interest (Your Friend/s) posts. Also, you can do PM's (Private Messages" between friends that keeps your E-Mail Account from being published/shared - thus the PM aspect.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Moderator Emeritus

When I said I was Totally Ignorant I meant it ... to me networking is when you hook a fish ... I grab the net and scoop the fish out the water . What is networking and I don't do social media . I'm not on twitter , face book , tick tock , instagram , linkedin etc ... I belong to a few gun and reloading forums like The High Road , S&W , Ruger and Bayou Shooter ...

I've never had a friends request ... what does it mean ... what happens if I except it ?
    As a friend ... what happens ... I honestly don't know what this means and when I do things in an uninformed way ... it usually gets me in trouble .
    Can you are anyone explain what a friend request intails ?
    Gary
    WOW ...one question at a time.

"What is networking"
    the action or process of interacting with others to exchange information and develop professional or social contacts.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Just don’t send them any money or cryptocurrency. But how do you have over 8000 posts and not know how castboolits works?

Networking is like the old guys that congregate at Micky D's every morning to get their free coffee and chew the fat or complain about their corns.

A friend acceptance will let both parties keep track of the others posts on their profile page. Each time you post something it will show on your friends profile page and vice versa so you don't have to search for their posts but can go to your profile to find their activity.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

I can sympathize with you, Gary. I wasn't here too long when I got a "friend request". I didn't know what to do either, and have never been involved with Facebook or any other "social media", so I figured, "O.K.-- we're friends." I didn't know that you have to respond and accept the offer, so I just went on with life, and eventually the person's avatar disappeared from my profile. I guess the potential friend was insulted, but if so it wasn't because I didn't like him, it was ignorance on my part. I wish I would have asked like you are doing, because I didn't want to insult anyone at all, and apologize. Problem is, I don't remember who it was.... But, anyway, you're getting the straight scoop here from the other members. All you have to do is respond that you accept the offer to be friends and their avatar will appear as such in your profile page. Thereafter you will see their activity as well as your own on that page.

DG

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Baltimoreed View Post
    Just don’t send them any money or cryptocurrency. But how do you have over 8000 posts and not know how castboolits works?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6vd2gp.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	81.8 KB 
ID:	305170
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    I can sympathize with you, Gary. I wasn't here too long when I got a "friend request". I didn't know what to do either, and have never been involved with Facebook or any other "social media", so I figured, "O.K.-- we're friends." I didn't know that you have to respond and accept the offer, so I just went on with life, and eventually the person's avatar disappeared from my profile. I guess the potential friend was insulted, but if so it wasn't because I didn't like him, it was ignorance on my part. I wish I would have asked like you are doing, because I didn't want to insult anyone at all, and apologize. Problem is, I don't remember who it was.... But, anyway, you're getting the straight scoop here from the other members. All you have to do is respond that you accept the offer to be friends and their avatar will appear as such in your profile page. Thereafter you will see their activity as well as your own on that page.

DG
    Haha had almost the same situation. I don't do any social media and though I may look at other sites, the majority of my time is here - which is not that much time in the scheme of things. Figure if somebody needs me, I will get a PM.

Boolit Grand Master

I have one more question ,
    If I accept someone as a friend ... and then later , down the road , I discover I don't like being friends ... is it easy to un-friend them ?

Do you guy's have casual "friends" on Cast Boolits ... or shy away from the practice .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Super Moderator

Yes, you can easily "unfriend" them. Someone apparently likes your posts, and wants to follow what you have to say here.

That's kind of a hard one for me, personally, to answer. Like I said, I'm not into Facebook and similar social media. Castboolits is about as close as I get to that definition of friendship. I'm age 80 and think I could count the real friends I've had on one hand, mostly dead now. I had many acquaintances, but I view that as one notch lower than a true friend. You'll never know if an acquaintance is a true friend unless you ask them to come through for you in some way or they stand up for you in a difficult situation. Most people today seem to refer to acquaintances as friends, but have never met many of them. I think it just means they have something in common. Now to apply that to this Forum, I don't seek friends of the acquaintance type, and it's unlikely that I'll ever meet any of the 50-some-thousand-plus members face to face. Should I do so, I'll make the decision if they are a real friend or not. Until then, I'll accept offers of friendship, display their avatar, and read their posts and be cordial, but I don't know if I'd share the same foxhole with them, rely on them for a backup at a high risk traffic stop, or loan them money. Complicated--but you asked!

DG

I have some friends here who are just friends and aquantances. And others who are brothers.

The only way to find out which are going to be which is to dip your toe in that pool and start learning.

For example, Boaz was a brother, a true brother and friend in every meaning of the word.

You can also go to your profile, look at recent posts of your friends, and see what they are talking about. What they are interested in.

Option is always up to you to accept or not. Or even to make a few friend requests yourself. Who knows where it might lead?
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Grand Master

I want to sincerely thank everyone who took the time to respond to my questions ...
    I have read every response and PM ... 3 or 4 times and thought it over .
    I think GhostHawk may have something ... how will I learn anything if I don't dip my toe in the pool and start learning .
    If I discover I can't swim ... I'll call out for a Lifeguard and one of you guys can come and save my ignorant self !

This is sort of exciting ... doing something new for the first time ...
    Okay guy's I'm going try this friends thing !

Thanks Again ... To Everyone
    Members here are The Best !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

I’m friends with brassmagnet and poppy42. Online friendship can turn to real life friendship. And pretty soon brassmagnet is wolfing down a plate of your wife’s biscuits and gravy.

Online friends is akin to waving at the neighbors you ain’t met yet. You see them and think they seem nice, so ya wave.

I’m glad to be friends though with folks whether ya want to be friends online or in real life.

Boolit Master
    I'm totally ignorant when it comes to computers and site/member protocol ....

What's a friend supposed to do for the other friend.

I tried doing a search on the terms "friends" and "friend request" but came up empty handed ...

Any help with friends explanations will be appreciated .

Gary
    I believe the usual perception here is that all of us are friends in a general sense. Thus, other than extending common respect, we have no further duty to our web site "friends".

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 1hole View Post
    I believe the usual perception here is that all of us are friends in a general sense. Thus, other than extending common respect, we have no further duty to our web site "friends".

LIKE !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Last edited by Alex_4x4; 10-09-2022 at 11:16 AM.
    Viam supervadet vadens.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast