WidenersTitan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: RIP .327 Federal Magnum?

Quote Originally Posted by contender1 View Post
    "Will a trimmed .30 Carbine case work in a single action .327? Curious about that."

The .30 Carbine is a rimless case,, while the .327 is a rimmed case. In general, no.
    I know this. I just wondered if the throat of the .327 chamber would let the .30 carbine(trimmed to .327 length) case headspace on the mouth. Like the .30 Carbine Blackhawk. I was just comparing a .32 H&R case to a .30 Carbine case and wondering.....

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I have been happy with .32 S&W Long.

Boolit Grand Master
    Since I want to feed two 327s, a Ruger Blackhawk stainless 8 shooter and a custom built S&W K frame, I knew I would need a supply of brass. In addition to buying some Federal (and their AE) ammo as it became available at a nearly reasonable price, I ordered 100 rounds of Federal Brass from Freedom arme when they had it and 1000 rounds of brass from Starline when they made their first run of it. Other than a few rounds lost to misadventure at the bench or in the field and 100 rounds I traded to another member here, I still have all of that brass, about 400 rounds still virgin. At my advanced age brass is not a problem. I can see the bottom of my stack of boxes of primers though.

As others have said, an advantage of the 327 chambering is that it accepts straight side 32 cases of any length, so options are available. Boxes and partial boxes of 32 S&W Long show up in odd places and help keep the kids fed. Of course reloading when components are available is the secret, but even components (other than brass) have gotten pretty thin on the ground here.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

If you run across it buy it at any price.
    Unless you really don't care about ever shooting it again.
    In today's climate, you never know.
    The powers that be want to stop all peasant, I mean citizen shooting.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Wait until the .30 SC gets to be a couple of years old. Those folks had better be buying all they can now. At least with the .327 you can use other cases.
    I agree with this.
    I was slow to get on .327 band wagon, and now I cannot find the Ruger single-seven in it, and 0 ammo.
    .22 TCM is going, barely, but boy do you I wish RIA would finally make it a SAAMI cartridge, they are purposefully chocking the full opportunity for this cartridge

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    Meanwhile, there's much sense in hitching your cart to the .38/.357 horse that's actually alive, and for which there is often FREE brass left by those who don't reload. Proclaimed benefits of the .32's aside, ubiquity may well trump "neat".
    I have .357 revolver and rifle as well.

Boolit Master
    I've 8 to 10 327 FM firearms (don't have time to count them again). I bought so much brass when it was available I doubt I'll live long enough to run out, and I'm a lot younger than some of y'all!

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Thundarstick View Post
    I've 8 to 10 327 FM firearms (don't have time to count them again). I bought so much brass when it was available I doubt I'll live long enough to run out, and I'm a lot younger than some of y'all!
    Maybe wiser too. For stocking up on brass when the time was right. Not so wise in having that many guns in a soon to be obsolete caliber....LOL
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master
    To misquote the sage Mark Twain, “Reports of its death have been greatly exaggerated.”

Will you be buying guns and ammo in 327 FM in every big box gun store daily? Probably not. But the enthusiastic supporters of 32 revolvers are “bitter clingers” who will indeed cling to them!

Froggie

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Wait until the .30 SC gets to be a couple of years old. Those folks had better be buying all they can now. At least with the .327 you can use other cases.
    This 100%. If you like the .30 SC you should buy every bit of it you can find. The cartridge will never even be as popular as the .327, and election induced shortages hit the obscure calibers hardest.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    I know this. I just wondered if the throat of the .327 chamber would let the .30 carbine(trimmed to .327 length) case headspace on the mouth. Like the .30 Carbine Blackhawk. I was just comparing a .32 H&R case to a .30 Carbine case and wondering.....

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk
    You have to form and turn the head on .30 carbine to get it to chamber in .327 etc. It will have a slight rim if you leave it. The base of the cartridge is bigger diameter than 32 brass because it is tapered.

If you are a glutton for punishment you can form brass and turn the heads .223 brass to make .327.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Buddy
    “Bitter Clinger”? Yep, I am one of them.

I think the 327 is one of the more useful calibers to come out and have a real purpose. I think the current reason that it’s hard to come by is hoarding and the small production runs of this caliber.
    I don’t see it going away as there are many guns chambered in it and like I said it’s one of the newer cartridges that makes sense and has a real purpose.

Jedman

Boolit Master

327fm was a low run ammo to begin with.. after the slow gear up from covid.. manufacturers are focusing on non niche products.. 327fm SHOULD come back.. but not soon IMHO.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    Since it's really just a stretched version of a lot of older .32's, I'm sure Starline will continue to do occasional runs. Just be a proper hoarder when they do.

Meanwhile, there's much sense in hitching your cart to the .38/.357 horse that's actually alive, and for which there is often FREE brass left by those who don't reload. Proclaimed benefits of the .32's aside, ubiquity may well trump "neat".
    The 38/357 brass count isn’t growing very much lately. Most of us who load any revolver cartridges at all probably have a bucket or two of one or both stashed somewhere, but trying to find any current production brass or ammo is likely to be as frustrating as for 32s or nearly so. Glad my stash is large and in place!
    Froggie

Boolit Master

Agreed I'm glad I cast and reload during this covid Slowdown I have not stopped shooting any at all in fact I've maybe shot more but that's because I was prepared with powder primers lead and cases

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dtknowles View Post
    You have to form and turn the head on .30 carbine to get it to chamber in .327 etc. It will have a slight rim if you leave it. The base of the cartridge is bigger diameter than 32 brass because it is tapered.

If you are a glutton for punishment you can form brass and turn the heads .223 brass to make .327.

Tim
    .327 is the dark case in the middle. Cases formed from .223 are on the right.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	32s.png 
Views:	39 
Size:	510.4 KB 
ID:	305359

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Will a trimmed .30 Carbine case work in a single action .327? Curious about that.
    No, the head is too large to chamber. It would be a good choice as a donor case for forming .327. After forming only a tiny band needs to be turned off.

The one on the right was formed from 30 car. the one on the left is .327.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	341_0572.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	14.7 KB 
ID:	305365

Tim

Boolit Master
    This does not seem like a bad deal.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/949969267

Boolit Master

it seems like 32HRmag has made more of a comeback than 327. 32hrmag has come out in the charter arms undercoverette and the profesional.

I end up loading more of those than anything else in the 32 revolver family.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast