Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackbox
WidenersTitan ReloadingLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: RIP .327 Federal Magnum?

Boolit Man

RIP .327 Federal Magnum?

I like .327FM and have a couple guns I'm satisfied with. But I've only seen new ammo or brass available twice since the "Great COVID Selloff" began (not counting gunbroker scalpers). Once I was able to buy a couple boxes of AE327, and once I passed on some ridiculously priced defense ammo.

Is anyone else finding it available at less-than-scalper prices? And more importantly, how about brass? And more importantly, do you think .327FM will ever make it back into production?

I thinks it's sort of like the .41Mag.
    A good idea, that never really found its niche application or market- at least not in large numbers.

As far as finding brass--
    Unless the military or law enforcement agencies adopt it, (Which ain't gonna happen)
    the brass for it it will only get harder and more expensive as time goes on.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    If you don’t need magnum velocities, .32 long brass would probably be easier to come by.

A lot of brass and ammunition is made in "runs", which means it may be made only once a year, or so, depending on popularity. The manufacturers only have so many case forming machines, so they make what sells the fastest in large quantities, and when they believe they have enough of the popular brass or ammunition, then they'll retool the machines to make a run of a caliber that doesn't sell as well, or as fast. Retooling means taking the machines out of production for the period it takes to tool up for a different caliber, so that's taken into account, too.

It's actually basic economics. It wouldn't make sense to make a caliber that's going to sit in a warehouse for a year, when they can make calibers that are pre-sold, and don't have to be warehoused or stored, before moving out the door.

I've been in the reloading game since 1963, and I've learned over the years that when a caliber that isn't "main line" becomes available, I buy what I can afford. I attend the SHOT Show every year, and I still remember at the 2009 Show when the first day of the Show, Fiocchi Ammunition announced that their entire production capacity for that year was already pre-sold, and they couldn't take any orders. The other manufacturers were pretty much in the same boat. They make what sells the best first, and the rest are squeezed in as production availability allows.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Grand Master
    IF you have primers, Go to Starline's website and get on a wish list, then BUY 1000 when they are available, (start saving now, if need be.)

The analogy with the 41 mag is dead on, IMO. It is a niche cartridge, albeit a neat one, but 32's in general are not very popular, much less 327's, and we who like 'em have to wait our turn in line like Oliver Twist, hoping for "more." Meanwhile, take advantage of the versatility and buy whatever 32 H&R, 32 S&W Long, or 32 S&W that you find at a decent price.
    Last edited by rintinglen; 09-30-2022 at 11:38 AM.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master

Brownells has 32H&R that will work like 38 special in a 357mag.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Grand Master
    Wait until the .30 SC gets to be a couple of years old. Those folks had better be buying all they can now. At least with the .327 you can use other cases.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

I agree with suggestions of rolling your own.

But understand the need for factory on occasion. I had my dealer get me some and didnt have to re mortgage ta do so. But I also got the AE for good prices just ta get brass. I dont carry mine (much) So the two boxes will last me LONG time. Plus I had some 115g GD ammo.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Man
    I, too, primarily buy AE327 for the brass until brass is more readily available. It isn't killing me, I think I have about 600 pieces of brass now and a couple boxes of factory ammo. And If pressed I think I have a little .32 long.
    In IL I will be able to use my .327 Henry next year for dear hunting if I plug the magazine to make the rifle single shot. For that I wouldn't mind tripping across a box of the 127gr HamrDown ammo - factory loaded ammo is a requirement for deer hunting with rifle/handgun in IL. If I don't find it, the AE327 meets the energy requirements.
    Side thought - did you ever wonder how they would know if you put hand loaded ammo in a factory box, using the same kind of bullet???

And yes, I do feel better off than the .30SC folks, I think their joy in ownership is still awaiting them!!

Boolit Buddy
    i want a pistol in this caliber just to shoot 32, 32 s and w long and 32 H and R out of it ..........anyone else think like that ???

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by mobilemail View Post
    I like .327FM and have a couple guns I'm satisfied with. But I've only seen new ammo or brass available twice since the "Great COVID Selloff" began (not counting gunbroker scalpers). Once I was able to buy a couple boxes of AE327, and once I passed on some ridiculously priced defense ammo.

Is anyone else finding it available at less-than-scalper prices? And more importantly, how about brass? And more importantly, do you think .327FM will ever make it back into production?
    Let me suggest you take a long hard look at the Lee Hand Press Kit ($65.69 @ midway usa - in stock) and a set of Lee Reloading Dies ($49.92) ... for a total of about $115.00 you can get set up to load ammo while sitting at your desk or table . The Hand Press is held in your hands ... no bench mounting necessary . The Kit contains everything to seat primers with the press . I found the Hand Press so handy I bought two ... keep in a gym or shooting bag , everything you need to reload ... I do ALL my handgun and 30-30 Winchester rifle on the hand press . With the price and availability of ammo what it is ... you just about need to reload if you want to shoot . I shoot 41 Magnum and if it weren't for cast boolits and the hand press I would do little or no shooting .
    The 327 FM is in the same boat as the 41 magnum .
    Start assembling a loading set up now and save your brass !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Will a trimmed .30 Carbine case work in a single action .327? Curious about that.

Boolit Master
    Looking at Starline site, the 327 mag brass is out of stock and NO back order.
    The 32 H&R is out of stock and unknown when available. That means it is coming, but at an unknown date. There have been comments by forum members that they placed the order and it actually was filled shortly after being placed. It is a kind of a roll of the dice how soon it might be available. Good luck, whatever you decide to do.

It can't be any worse than .577/.450 Martini Henry, try to buy that sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Wait until the .30 SC gets to be a couple of years old. Those folks had better be buying all they can now. At least with the .327 you can use other cases.
    Nailed it.

Rifle season is upon us here in Oklahoma (end of November). Guys are already on my social media page begging looking for 300WSM, 7STW, etc. And people are having trouble finding 30-30, 30-06, 270? They're learning though, at least the smart ones will.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

The biggest benefit for me, is that my 327 Federal pistol gives me ample room to experiment with 32-caliber loadings, in everything from 32 S&W short to 327 Magnum brass. I can really push the limits of 32 Long, for instance, and not be terribly worried about pressure or overall cartridge length.

Boolit Master

Since it's really just a stretched version of a lot of older .32's, I'm sure Starline will continue to do occasional runs. Just be a proper hoarder when they do.

Meanwhile, there's much sense in hitching your cart to the .38/.357 horse that's actually alive, and for which there is often FREE brass left by those who don't reload. Proclaimed benefits of the .32's aside, ubiquity may well trump "neat".
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Banned
    Historically star line has been making it about every 18 months .
    But who knows when we will see it again as backordered as they are . I've been wanting to build a single shot in .327 but not till I can buy brass .

Boolit Master
    "Will a trimmed .30 Carbine case work in a single action .327? Curious about that."

The .30 Carbine is a rimless case,, while the .327 is a rimmed case. In general, no.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rintinglen View Post
    IF you have primers, Go to Starline's website and get on a wish list, then BUY 1000 when they are available, (start saving now, if need be.)
    I don't think there is a Starline wish list, you can only backorder or buy. 327 is currently Out Of Stock/No Backorders but Is Still Listed whereas some calibers have been dropped. I sent an email about 350 Legend which hadn't run for 6 months. They said "that's nice, thanks for your interest". Keep checking. My experence has been once a caliber comes up for Backorder the process goes very quick.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast