Load DataWidenersRepackboxLee Precision
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2

Thread: Judges

Moderator Emeritus

Judges

So my daily morning bible study is currently in Judges. Just got to the point where Samson martyred himself. I've been thinking about all the events recorded in Judges about Samson. As a whole, it's such a crazy story, with the riddle of the Lion being the craziest.

Also, 50 years ago in Sunday school, they taught us Samson got his great strength from his long hair. That also seemed Crazy. I'm glad I learned during this study, that the source of Samson's strength was God [YHWH], so at least the moral of the story was no longer crazy to me.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

At one point I had to go try to research the architectural norms of their temples. Was thinking about the twin pillars motif.

By the way, did you think there might be another level concerning the lion and the honey?
    As if to say the lion that would eat Samson could be representative of the Philistines themselves. And the honey was , well, his sweet honey from among the Philistines. Or was Samson getting his strength back from God and slaying the many Philistines inside their temple the sweetness, the honey within the lion?
    I don't know. It's just something I thought about.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    ... 50 years ago in Sunday school, they taught us Samson got his great strength from his long hair. That also seemed Crazy.
    If that's what "they" taught you, it was indeed crazy because it totally misses what the story is about. As an object lesson Samson was given great strength because of his obedience to God's instructions about his hair, it was not about the hair itself.

When Samson rejected God's rule and followed his gonads it all fell apart so he blindly suffered and then died young. And THAT'S the message WE should also get about his lustful story.

By the way JonB, through the centuries the bees are a symbol also. As it was then it still is today, a pretty interesting research project in and of itself.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Good Cheer View Post
    At one point I had to go try to research the architectural norms of their temples. Was thinking about the twin pillars motif.

By the way, did you think there might be another level concerning the lion and the honey?
    As if to say the lion that would eat Samson could be representative of the Philistines themselves. And the honey was , well, his sweet honey from among the Philistines. Or was Samson getting his strength back from God and slaying the many Philistines inside their temple the sweetness, the honey within the lion?
    I don't know. It's just something I thought about.
    Quote Originally Posted by Good Cheer View Post
    By the way JonB, through the centuries the bees are a symbol also. As it was then it still is today, a pretty interesting research project in and of itself.
    Good Cheer,
    thanks, you've given me a few things to thing about.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Moderator Emeritus

All of Judges represents a tough life. Can you imagine the thought process in catching 300 foxes, tying their tales together, then placing a firebrand in the tails and letting the animals run through your enemy's grain field? To a hunter that may be more difficult than killing the Philistines with a jawbone or bringing down the temple.

The key point is to not let your promises' to God lapse.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 1hole View Post
    If that's what "they" taught you, it was indeed crazy because it totally misses what the story is about. As an object lesson Samson was given great strength because of his obedience to God's instructions about his hair, it was not about the hair itself.

When Samson rejected God's rule and followed his gonads it all fell apart so he blindly suffered and then died young. And THAT'S the message WE should also get about his lustful story.
    well put...

God had mercy on Samson until he broke the third part of his vow to be a nazarite. He lifted up his people and destroyed their enemies through Samson. He was a very important judge during the times of Israel’s disobedience. He was a type of Christ showing His invinceable strength against His (their) enemies. Invinceable strength , keeps His promises, mighty warrior for our protection.

The judges came when needed and prayed for. They never knew when. It wouldn’t have happened but because of idolatry the fell every generation. It’s so precarious we don’t know when he will save us. We keep falling but he comes when we are ready to repent. It’s all of grace and mercy for us. We can’t do what He (Jesus) can do. Helplessness to save, then turn to Him. And He restores.

Boolit Master
    What time span did the book of Judges cover?

Quote Originally Posted by Thundarstick View Post
    What time span did the book of Judges cover?
    About 1043-1004 BC.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    All of Judges represents a tough life. Can you imagine the thought process in catching 300 foxes, tying their tales together, then placing a firebrand in the tails and letting the animals run through your enemy's grain field? To a hunter that may be more difficult than killing the Philistines with a jawbone or bringing down the temple.

The key point is to not let your promises' to God lapse.
    It would also take a minute or two to catch 300 foxes. How long does that take - maybe figure 10 foxes per day, would take a month. He’d have to collect them in some sort of fox proof corral, then take the time to tie on all the firebrands. The corral would need to be available prior to fox catching, and you have to feed them while you catch all 300. Then he has to transport them to the burn site, get the brands lit, and turn them loose.

I bet he had help…just sayin’.

Boolit Grand Master

Couple of things about Judges, the book. It is not in chronological order, it is a compilation of stories that are organized by purpose rather than time. If you read it as chronological, as we think, you will miss some of the purpose.

My take on Judges is that it shows the failure of the Levite tribe to teach the people as they were supposed to. Of course, each father had the responsibility to teach his children, but the Levites were to teach the nation. That's why they were spread throughout the nation.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LAH View Post
    About 1043-1004 BC.
    Less than 50 years?? I always thought it was near 500 years!

Quote Originally Posted by Thundarstick View Post
    I copied that from one of my study Bibles. Maybe I need to fact check that & check myself while I'm at it.

About 1043-1004 BC was the period of time to write the Book so forgive me. Seems the period from the first judge Othniel till the death of Samuel was 336 years. 1350-1014 BC.

This came from https://www.bible.ca/archeology/bibl...-of-judges.htm

Yah they got a new judge often in 40-50 years. When the oppression God sent them was too much and they would cry out to the Lord. It seems just a few generations and all is forgotten. Now we have more reason to remember, the HS, and less prosperity in material things and trials to keep us turned to the Lord. He is providing for our spiritual needs. And always there in time.
    Our source of spiritual strength is from the lord too. If we keep in his word. Hopefully we are all ripped. But then again we have to depend on the lord to bail us out all the time. We need strength to stay close, repent often and exercise our faith and to turn back to Him when we fall. It’s all not easy any way. But it’s not just the lord and it’s not just our strength needed for continuance. We have our part too.

Boolit Master
    There is/was a book and video series called The three chairs that went into the cycle that Christianity and Judaism goes through. In a nutshell, you have the generation that calls out to God, believes in God, and sees God working, then the next generation knows God, believes in God, and knows God's works, and then, there is a third generation that springs up, and the Bible refers to them with the statement, "and they knew not God". First chair, second chair, third chair.
    Chicken Little has finally found an audience