WidenersTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLee Precision
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Repackbox
Reloading Everything

Thread: When will someone publish a book for PC boolits?

Boolit Buddy

When will someone publish a book for PC boolits?

The Lee Cast Bullet Handbook is a resource I turn to frequently. I also use my chronograph frequently. We all should know that lubed lead, polymer coated, plated and jacketed bullets produce very different pressures as well as velocities when loaded with the same powders. Is there too much variation to make a manual practical? Do "Blue Bullets" or Bayou behave differently than my home-cast ones coated with Smoke's powders? Will the new book point us toward powders that work better with PC'd tips? Don't get me wrong, I enjoy developing new loads and experimenting. It's just that I believe many folks could benefit from a little guidance on this subject. Thoughts?

Boolit Master
    I USUALLY get a 5% - 8% increase in muzzle velocity when I substitute PC'd projectiles for the identical cast lead projectiles, IN HANDGUNS. I just sorta load PCd bullets with the expectation that I'll obtain velocities in line with, or slightly more than what's published for cast lead. If I don't (which is rare), I just shoot cast lead, and save the PCd stuff for other loads.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

There's no money in it.
    And nobody works for free,,,,, at least not for very long.

As much as it would cost to do the research and testing, then publish it-
    how would they get paid for their time & trouble?

Lyman might put a article about powder coating in a new edition of their Cast book.
    As far as making all new load data for PC, I doubt if anyone would consider it a worth while venture.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    We can always count on Winger Ed to put things in perspective. I tend to agree with him on this as there are other variables to consider such as brass, Primers, and loading methods and of cause barrels and barrel twist. I would think climate sea level and alignment of stares may even come into play. In all seriousness I actually enjoy the journey and getting there myself and frequently try and prove the book wrong anyway. I have never tried powder coat myself but have found faster velocity and better accuracy with Hi-Tek with my alloy. Think of how miserable life would be if we all marched to the same tune, what would we talk about. Regards Stephen

Boolit Master

i make sure to size the boolit to the gun and any difference in pressure is negligible with pc. jacketed its one size fits all, so yes you will get different pressures.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Unfortunately, it would cost a lot for the testing and then whatever liability insurance would be needed. It would be interesting, but there are a lot of possible different results due to powder type and procedures used.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by pergoman View Post
    The Lee Cast Bullet Handbook is a resource I turn to frequently. I also use my chronograph frequently. We all should know that lubed lead, polymer coated, plated and jacketed bullets produce very different pressures as well as velocities when loaded with the same powders. Is there too much variation to make a manual practical? Do "Blue Bullets" or Bayou behave differently than my home-cast ones coated with Smoke's powders? Will the new book point us toward powders that work better with PC'd tips? Don't get me wrong, I enjoy developing new loads and experimenting. It's just that I believe many folks could benefit from a little guidance on this subject. Thoughts?
    Lee ?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    Lee ?
    Lyman's younger brother
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Master
    .... Do "Blue Bullets" or Bayou behave differently than my home-cast ones coated with Smoke's powders? Will the new book point us toward powders that work better with PC'd tips? .... Thoughts?
    Now me, I just don't know the answer. It often seems that nobody tells me anything.

I see a great opportunity for you!

Boolit Master
    ....We all should know that lubed lead, polymer coated, plated and jacketed bullets produce very different pressures as well as velocities when loaded with the same powders. Is there too much variation to make a manual practical?
    Yep.