Inline FabricationRepackboxWidenersLee Precision
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question about woods and trees.

Box elder is a type of maple. It grows fast and is often harvested and sold with mixed maples. It’s a soft maple.

I found a mature plum tree on the property. Today I found a couple nice mature white oaks. And a couple decent hickory’s. I don’t want to harvest the white oak. There is also another huge poplar. It is probably over 3’ across and massive. And I found another very nice walnut, 20” or so.

I hate to cut any of them really. But pends on what I’ll make. Be a nice boost to get my shop going right and my car in better shape.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    If you want it for hunting and firewood, I’d just let it grow as it wants. Nature tends to be pretty efficient when left alone. If you are looking to harvest quality logs someday, you’ll need a different strategy depending on what you have growing and the local climate. Don’t forget that things are warming up and some species may be doing better in forty years than others.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    If you want it for hunting and firewood, I’d just let it grow as it wants. Nature tends to be pretty efficient when left alone. If you are looking to harvest quality logs someday, you’ll need a different strategy depending on what you have growing and the local climate. Don’t forget that things are warming up and some species may be doing better in forty years than others.
    That is the absolute worst advise there is. Carrying capacity can be greatly increased by intensive logging. Big Pretty woods really dont offer much to wildlife once the canopy chokes out the forest floor except for a few months of hard mast production. By selectively thinning and allowing mast producing species that produce at different times you can feed in fall/ winter for an additional 2-3 months and by allowing the sunlight to hit the forest floor you can feed wildlife and provide cover for the spring and summer.
    Selective thinning is basically taking the place of natural fires that did the same thing before man.
    NRA High Master XTC
    DR# 2125

Boolit Master
    first thing I would do is cut every single one of those boxelders. they grow like weeds and will crowd out everything else if given a chance. but I'm no expert. your local county extension agent will come out for free and if he is not an expert on solving your problems or answering your questions he will know who to get in touch with in your area that is and get you the expert information you need.
    wish I had more white oak on my property. on my little 50 acres of north facing mountainside there are only 2 but across the road on south facing slope the land is covered with many big white oaks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12