MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading EverythingLoad Data
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Wideners
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 32 s&w

Boolit Buddy

32 s&w

I've got a 32 s&w revolver coming and I'm looking for a bullet mold and loads. Probably will just be plinking with this and might shoot it at squirrels or a grouse or two. Any recommendations? Thanks I have dies for 327 federal Magnum I'm thinking might work?

If you are talking about the original 32 S&W (32 S&W Short), then your 327 magnum dies will work, with the possible exception of the seating die; I don't know if the seating plug will screw down far enough. I use a set of Lee 32 &W dies to load 32 short, long, 327, and 32 acp, so if your dies are for the 32 S&W Long, I am confident that you will have no problems. For the 32 short, I have found that right around 1 grain (.7-1.2 grains) of 700x or Red Dot with a 71 grain round nose shoots well, in a wide variety of revolvers.

Boolit Master

Lyman 3118 over 2g of Red Dot or 3g Unique.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Or the Lee .314 100 gr TL truncated cone sized to be 1 thous over barrel groove over 2 grains of Red Dot.

Mine shoot like lasers in both a H&R snubnose in .32sw long and a Ruger NM single Six in .32H&R mag.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Master
    The Lee Precision TL 314 90 SWC mold has worked out to be the best for my 32's. I have shot it in my pre-model 30, and in my S&W Model 631.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Boolit Buddy
    32 long

Boolit Grand Master

The 327 dies may not crimp unless they were made to load the 32 S&WL, the 32 H&R Magnum and the 327.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Quote Originally Posted by badwolf View Post
    32 long
    100 grain SWC over 2.7 grains of Red Dot is an accurate, full-power load (880 fps from a 2/12" barrel).This is not for top-breaks.

Boolit Master
    I use 1.1 gr Bullseye under a .321 roundball sized to .311.

Moderator Emeritus

32 S&W dies will load 32 long, H&R & 327 Fed. The reverse is not true. Same as 38 special, 357 and 357 max.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Grand Master
    There is such a plethora of .32 S&W Long revolvers out there of varying quality, (some can be shot forever, some shouldn't be fired at all) that I am a bit hesitant to blindly recommend a load.

Glen Fryxell has a decent article on the .32 S&W Long here: http://www.lasc.us/FryxellThe32S-WLong.htm

I will say that I have used 2.5 grains of Red Dot under a few different 95-100 grain boolits sized either .313 or .314" with complete satisfaction in my little I frame S&W's. Bullseye and W231 are good powder choices also.

Robert

Boolit Buddy
    I shoot a .32 cal flintlock so have balls available to get started. Looking at molds, thanks guy.

Boolit Grand Master

badwolf

Give us a picture of the S&W when it gets there? Always interesting in looking at those oldies but goodies.....
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Grand Master
    Badwolf, more information is needed. First, is your new revolver chambered in 32 S&W (“short”) for which new guns haven’t been made for years, or the more common 32 S&W Long? Second, what make, model, and vintage is it? These questions, along with condition of your revolver, will determine how we answer your question.

BTW, those balls for your 32 flintlock are probably close to a true 32 caliber (.32” or more) while so-called 32 revolvers take bullets in the .311-.313” range.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

I have taken OO buckshot, run them through a .314 lee sizing die. which squeezes them a little. Those load just fine in .32sw long or .32acp brass. Flat spot on the sides gives a good place to crimp. And they shoot well.

But mostly I prefer the little Lee .314 TL truncated cone sized as needed.
    That little boolit just loves to shoot.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Buddy
    Balls are from a .310 lee mold

Boolit Grand Master
    OK, now it seems like we are talking in terms of a solid frame S&W (hand ejector, swing out cylinder) chambered in 32 S&W Long, right?

If so, all of these suggestions for using bullets in the 90-105 grain range, sized to .311-.314” should get you started. These can be powered safely with mild loads of Bullseye or HP-38 or its equivalent W231 and you’re good to go. I won’t post charges, but they are readily available in print and on line from the manufacturers and other reliable sources. I find the 32 S&W L to be the easiest and cheapest cartridge of all to reload if primers and powder are available. Brass will get lost or stepped on before it is likely to wear out!

Froggie

PS That .310 round ball might work OK if the case neck will hold it. That will be super cheap to shoot!
    Last edited by Green Frog; 10-10-2022 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Typo
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Buddy
    I'll have it Saturday, not sure what I bought.

Boolit Buddy
    1956 improved I frame flat gate m&p, 4" barrel. Dealer had some Hornady 90 swc and Berry's plated hollow base wadcutters 93 gr to get me started.

Pictures, man! Pictures! I want to drool over this thing.
    "There is no saint without a past, no sinner without a future."

- Saint Augustine

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast