WidenersReloading EverythingInline FabricationLoad Data
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lithium Battery storage

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by kerplode View Post
    It's perfectly possible to blow up a single cell.

Phones are safer because they have better charge/discharge management hardware than cheap tool packs.
    Phone flat pack batteries are a different chemistry, one that doesn't start on fire as easily as the 18650 cells in tool battery packs

Phones use lithium polymer cells, which are even more prone to failures than the hard shell 18650. Ask me how I know.
    Cognitive Dissident

Moderator Emeritus

I NEVER charge a lithium battery unless I am monitoring it. Because of my bad back I have to get up and stretch every 2 hours or so so I walk over to whatever is charging and feel the pack to make sure it has no hot spots. Had a cheap Chinese tool pack start to overheat last week. Caught it in time to unplug it. Buried it in a bucket of sand I keep next to my repair bench where I replace phone batteries. Sometime a battery will short as you wedge it out(they are glued in!) and start to burn. Into the sand and bury it. Smothers the fire.

Tesla started on fire 7 miles from me. It burned so hot that the glass and rims melted into the pavement. The remains of the car fit in a bobcat bucket... rest burned/melted. Couldn't pay me to drive a lithium battery powered car! Toxic waste dumps on wheels!

Boolit Buddy
    Extremely helpful info, especially the link to EHS.mit docs! Always had to wonder about the un-attended charging since the BLM office in Challis burned down a couple of years ago. Thanks to all who contributed.
    West of Beaver Dick's Ferry.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12