WidenersRepackboxTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lithium Battery storage

Boolit Master

Lithium Battery storage

Wife’s friend woke up to smoke alarms last weekend. A fire had started in attached garage. FD arrived and put it out. Flame damage restricted to one side of garage, but smoke and soot damage throughout the house. The fire appears to have started where several lithium battery powered tools were stored on a wall. Batteries and tools are a lump of melted plastic and metal but nearby boxes were barely charred. Fed told them the residue / soot was toxic and a lot of possessions had to be discarded. The couple was fortunate as no injuries, but a major loss. Not sure if batteries were on charge at the time of fire.

Being on the charger is my guess.

Last month the company I used to work for had a fire that burned out about half the shop and offices.
    It started from the shop's battery screw driver tools being on chargers over night, and one cooked off.
    It probably doesn't matter, but they only use top of the line Milwaukees.

I've been thinking of putting mine in a metal box out in the driveway for charging them.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

The model airplane guys learned this bitter lesson 15-20 years ago. Never EVER leave a lithium battery on charge unless it's attended, or in a fireproof container. The model suppliers all sell boxes and fireproof bags to forestall this. I lost a whole plane that I was fond of once by not taking the battery out of it before charging. You'd be amazed at how fast balsa and doped paper covering burns!
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    The model airplane guys learned this bitter lesson 15-20 years ago. Never EVER leave a lithium battery on charge unless it's attended, or in a fireproof container. The model suppliers all sell boxes and fireproof bags to forestall this. I lost a whole plane that I was fond of once by not taking the battery out of it before charging. You'd be amazed at how fast balsa and doped paper covering burns!
    I use to fly RC, and witnessed one burn through a picnic table at the park when it shorted!

Completely agree.

Lithium batteries are absolutely fantastic compared to NiCad and similar. Way more power for longer, but I hate the way power tools have implemented them.

Most power tool brand battery chargers are "Dumb". They use analog circuits to balance the voltage in each cell up to the maximum. This is fine if you're constantly using the tool, but most Lithium batteries should be stored at ~80 percent of their max voltage to maintain their service life. They're (The chargers) also much more susceptible to physical disruption like shorts or "an excess of disagreement between the 1's and 0's", and over time potentially unbalancing the cells, which causes internal breakdown, and in extreme cases lead to cell rupture, which is bad because lithium and air don't get along, especially when the hydrogen produced when they break down chemically enters the fray.

Most lithium cells are rated for a nominal voltage of 3.7 volts, but maximum is generally 4.2 volts, and over time that'll degrade the life of the battery if you just let them sit. Anybody that's used LiPo batteries for RC or Airsoft know about relatively inexpensive "Smart" chargers that you can program to charge for storage or general use. Wish more power tool chargers had that option.
    MC-130J Driver
    Former T-6A Texan II Driver
    FAIP Mafia
    Hook 'em all

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Bmi48219 View Post
    Wife’s friend woke up to smoke alarms last weekend. A fire had started in attached garage. FD arrived and put it out. Flame damage restricted to one side of garage, but smoke and soot damage throughout the house. The fire appears to have started where several lithium battery powered tools were stored on a wall. Batteries and tools are a lump of melted plastic and metal but nearby boxes were barely charred. Fed told them the residue / soot was toxic and a lot of possessions had to be discarded. The couple was fortunate as no injuries, but a major loss. Not sure if batteries were on charge at the time of fire.
    A friend rang me several months back with his statement re the "goodness" of his wife's cigarette smoking habit, as it no doubt saved their residence, if not, too, their lives! "Huh?" I asked... It turns out the wife ran out of smokes and asked hubby to fetch a pack she had in her garaged car. When he entered the garage he said it did not take too long before his eyes started burning and a real bad odor was present. Walking to the rear of garage, to his workbench, he noted a Lithium drill battery plugged into a wall-wart charger that was quite bulged, all around, and "hotter then hell". He unplugged it and -- after burning his fingers -- moved it to concrete curb at road-end of their drive.
    Interestingly, he voiced that he had used the drill earlier in the day, and it had dropped from shelf on the 6' step ladder he had been using to the floor -- postulating that perhaps the fall to floor damaged the battery?
    Anyhoos -- here's a site on Li batteries I found useful... From MIT.
    https://ehs.mit.edu/lab-research-pro...attery-safety/

^^^ All true ^^^ Accurate, reliable balancing is absolutely essential. Component failure in the balancing circuits is guaranteed disaster. Some power tools use lithium-IRON cells, which I've read are more tolerant.

But think on Teslas, which have a thousand cells or more, each one of which has to be monitored separately. Probability of component failure in a thousand monitoring circuits...???

I'm not building or flying anymore, due to disability, but I note that my last RC charger not only monitors each cell, it charges each individual cell separately if the pack is wired for it. Do power tool chargers do that? I doubt it. If they do the circuitry would have to be inside the battery pack. I've never seen one with more than the minimum two contacts.
    Last edited by uscra112; 09-29-2022 at 07:40 AM.
    Cognitive Dissident

Yep, most probably caused a short somewhere. I have gotten to the habit of charging and then cutting off the whole bank with a powerstrip. What really would be better would be get one of the Christmas light remotes that have 2 or 4 hour timers. Put the charger on that....

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

What happens is that a cell shorts internally. The current dump is very large and very sudden. Lots of heat, and the electrolyte is flammable.

A timer is an excellent idea.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Buddy
    Water is also an issue with lithium cells. Local waste to energy plant burns trash to make electricity and has fires in the pre-burn debris from time to time when lithium cells are dropped, crushed or have liquid come in contact with them. They have a special drop off for batteries to help avoid this.

Also true. Water can short a cell externally, creating a lot of heat. We made it a point to soak cells to be discarded in salt water for a day to drain them down to a 100% inert state before they went in the trash.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Grand Master

How many millions of lithium batteries charge every day in the US? Phones, laptops, tools, appliances… I wouldn’t doubt that the number makes it into billions. That there is an occasional fire isn’t very surprising. You all can do what you like, but I’m still going to charge my phone indoors without watching it every moment.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Buddy
    ^^^ All true ^^^ Accurate, reliable balancing is absolutely essential. Component failure in the balancing circuits is guaranteed disaster. Some power tools use lithium-IRON cells, which I've read are more tolerant.
    That chemistry is Lithium Ferro-Phosphate (LiFePO4). It doesn't have the energy density or performance of other Lithium cell chemistries, but it is indeed safer.

But think on Teslas, which have a thousand cells or more, each one of which has to be monitored separately. Probability of component failure in a thousand monitoring circuits...???
    The Tesla pack is composed of parallel and series elements. Many individual small cells (essentially 18650's) are wired in parallel blocks, then several of those are connected in series. The balancing is done across the parallel elements, since they essentially look like a really big individual cell. Each little cell is balanced when the parallel element is assembled at the factory, but after that, they run as a group.

Each cell in the parallel group is bonded to the common conductor with what is essentially a fuse, so if one cell malfunctions and shorts or whatever, it's just fused out and that parallel block loses a bit of capacity, but the rest soldier on.

Tesla has the most advanced battery management hardware in the industry, but their packs still occasionally go high-order and burn down someone's house. Something to think about when you buy a cheap Li+ tool. Anyway, last time I talked about Tesla battery tech here, some dude got his panties in a bunch, so we'll leave it at that.

I'm not building or flying anymore, due to disability, but I note that my last RC charger not only monitors each cell, it charges each individual cell separately if the pack is wired for it. Do power tool chargers do that? I doubt it. If they do the circuitry would have to be inside the battery pack. I've never seen one with more than the minimum two contacts.
    Dewalt 20V Max packs have 8 contacts. B+ and B- for the battery load, Temperature output, an ID pin to tell the charger what the pack is, and C1 through C4, which are the intermediate nodes in the series string of cells. This gives the charger the ability to balance the series elements individually.
    Last edited by kerplode; 09-29-2022 at 01:03 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    After reading this I made a change in the shop
    Over the bench I plugged in a power strip that has a switch and plugged in to the strip is the drill charger over head light and the radio .When I leave the shop I always turn off the light and radio and now turning off the switch on the power strip it will turn off the power to the battery charger also .

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    How many millions of lithium batteries charge every day in the US? Phones, laptops, tools, appliances… I wouldn’t doubt that the number makes it into billions. That there is an occasional fire isn’t very surprising. You all can do what you like, but I’m still going to charge my phone indoors without watching it every moment.
    Phones are significantly safer. I have no issue leaving a phone to charge unattended.

I don't leave tool packs and similar alone, though...

Phones have only one cell in them, so there's no balancing issue.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Buddy
    It's perfectly possible to blow up a single cell.

Phones are safer because they have better charge/discharge management hardware than cheap tool packs.

Sure, but charge management is a whole lot easier. Some years ago there was a rash of phone fires resulting from women putting their phones under their pillows while charging. Overheat ensued. Phone mfgrs. had to add another idiot-proofing feature to the product.

A huge proportion of tool packs are coming from China without adequate QC on the part of the USA marketers. Don't need to explain further, do I? I no longer buy anything to do with batteries or chargers via Amazon or evilBay. I swear half the stuff on offer is Chinese counterfeit.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Buddy
    Sure, but charge management is a whole lot easier. Some years ago there was a rash of phone fires resulting from women putting their phones under their pillows while charging. Overheat ensued. Phone mfgrs. had to add another idiot-proofing feature to the product.

A huge proportion of tool packs are coming from China without adequate QC on the part of the USA marketers. Don't need to explain further, do I? I no longer buy anything to do with batteries or chargers via Amazon or evilBay. I swear half the stuff on offer is Chinese counterfeit.
    Yup...I totally agree!

Moderator Emeritus

Good tools have an equalizing board inside each pack.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast