Lee PrecisionLoad DataInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Wideners
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Phoenix airport question

Boolit Master

Phoenix airport question

We're flying into the Phoenix airport next week, renting a car and driving to Goodyear. The people we're going to visit insist that we don't drive out of that airport - they'll pick us up. They say that the airport is a nightmare, confusing to navigate and leave, etc.
    I've driven many many times in and out of Logan in Boston, which really is a nightmare.
    How bad is the Phoenix airport?

I'd go with what the locals tell you.
    I'd figure they know what they're talking about.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

I've flown in and out of PHX hundreds of times.... The rental car setup now is a bit of PITA, as it's completely offsite, but by no means overly confusing. If you can read, you can navigate the airport/rental situation with ease..... Plan extra time for dropping off your rental, as it involves a bus ride from the rental car center to your terminal, but really....no different than any major airport in the country...
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Grand Master

As stated all rental cars are off site. You take a shuttle to the rental car of your choice. After that I found it easy to navigate.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    I’ve only been maybe a dozen times, never seemed bad to me.

"Commerce with all nations, alliance with none, should be our motto."

- Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master
    I haven't been to Pheonix since 1962 so I'm probably outdated there.

Only been to Logan a couple of times but I had no real difficulties going in. It got a bit amusing once when I got to the outbound "squeeze down" at the tunnel tho. Seems Boston drivers haven't yet learned what lane divider lines mean so they run five lanes of traffic where there's only three lanes marked. They can get away with that until they get to that tunnel entry, then they pretend they don't see anyone alongside them as they strive to bulldoze their neighbors into giving way.

I was laughing my head off showing one guy that a country boy can survive in the big city as an idiot in his own shiney Mercedes tried to squeeze me out while I was driving a rental Ford into the tunnel; he gave up when we were only about six inches apart and closing fast! The jerk's head didn't turn, he never did look over at me but he knew precisely where I was. (I'm not always as sweet as most folk think I am; IF he had forced contact with me I planned to turn into him and hit the brakes so he could ding my fender but then scrap a long and deep scar in the side of his own machine to remember me by.)

I drive up in The Phoenix Valley area a lot - it's no more confusing than any other unfamiliar big city. Google Maps is pretty darn good and easy to follow, and there are plenty of freeways to get where you are going. Sky Harbor is MUCH easier, for me, than, say, O'Hare or Oakland, but I grew up here. I do confess I know absolutely nothing about the rental car situation there, sorry.
    One thing to note - Arizona drivers do NOT know how to drive when it's raining, amazing how people get stupid. However, if they want to pick you up, let them, just offer to pay for dinner someplace nice.

Boolit Master

I flew into PHX and rented an SUV with some buddies to drive to Yuma for a week of fun back in 2015.

I don't recall it being any more difficult or confusing than any other big airport.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master
    I don't see it being a problem at all, but the way the airport was described to me makes it sound extra confusing. For something to do, I used to drive airport runs for a limo company in and out of Logan (Boston). Boston, and MA drivers in general, are brainless. It was easier ignoring them in a stretch limo.

It's not difficult but like ArmoredMan said, let them pick you up if they want to.

--Wag--
    "Great genius will always encounter fierce opposition from mediocre minds." --Albert Einstein.

Boolit Master
    The problem is that if they pick us up, they gotta bring us back. We're only staying one night with them, then we're off exploring AZ for a week.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 1hole View Post

Only been to Logan a couple of times but I had no real difficulties going in. It got a bit amusing once when I got to the outbound "squeeze down" at the tunnel tho. Seems Boston drivers haven't yet learned what lane divider lines mean so they run five lanes of traffic where there's only three lanes marked. They can get away with that until they get to that tunnel entry, then they pretend they don't see anyone alongside them as they strive to bulldoze their neighbors into giving way.

I was laughing my head off showing one guy that a country boy can survive in the big city as an idiot in his own shiney Mercedes tried to squeeze me out while I was driving a rental Ford into the tunnel; he gave up when we were only about six inches apart and closing fast! The jerk's head didn't turn, he never did look over at me but he knew precisely where I was. (I'm not always as sweet as most folk think I am; IF he had forced contact with me I planned to turn into him and hit the brakes so he could ding my fender but then scrap a long and deep scar in the side of his own machine to remember me by.)
    Anybody ever comment that ;you play for keeps?
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Master
    Getting into the tunnels from Logan that are southbound isn't hard - it's trying not to get into those tunnels (if you're heading northbound) that's the problem. One wrong exit and you have to go to RI to turn around.
    That's what happens when you make roads that follow old cow paths.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Battis View Post
    Getting into the tunnels from Logan that are southbound isn't hard - it's trying not to get into those tunnels (if you're heading northbound) that's the problem. One wrong exit and you have to go to RI to turn around.
    That's what happens when you make roads that follow old cow paths.
    Naa, my Dad once asked me if I knew why the roads in Maine had so many unnecessary turns. I had no idea. He told me that when they laid them out they took half the property of each property owner, that is, the road ran the property lines! I mentioned this in north Georgia to my father in law's family - one of his brothers worked for the State Road Commission. He looked at me and asked, "You know how we do it in Georgia?" "We survey from one patch of shade to the next!"
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Buddy

If you get picked up, the North and South parts of the terminal by bsggage claim sre only a few feet apart, however traffic lineup can be jammed at one and not as bad at the other, so yo need to call your pickup person an find out which one they want to get you at. What you have already been told is right on about the rental car pickup nightmare. Driving out of the airport is a bit of a challenge also.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I think it depends on the individual. The first time we were there to drop someone off, we found it confusing and "busy" - seemed like it wasn't that well marked. After we had done it a few times and it was more familiar, it wasn't bad. That said, we pick up and drop off at the Tucson Airport every once in a while during the winter and Tucson is easy peasy in comparison.

At any rate, enjoy your time in Arizona and have fun! We leave to drive out for the winter and are looking forward to the sunshine!

Boolit Master
    We bought the tickets about 2 years ago but due to "things" happening, we had to postpone the trip a few times. I'd rather not get picked up and I think we can do it.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by 1hole View Post

Minneapolis drivers are just as bad. I drove into the metro to pick a friend up at the airport. Drove my 4wd 1979 Ford Camper van that I used to bash down jeep trails so the sides were pretty scarred up. Those Mercedes types eyes got really bog when they glanced over and saw massive scratches and 33" tires about to eat their lunch! Another scratch on the van wouldn't be noticed LOL their pretty little car would have lost badly on the rock/tree rails and tires. One of my favorite fishing spots was down a jeep trail to a sandbar on the river. Some very tight turns. I came rumbling onto the sand bar and jeep guys just stared then asked "how in the heck did you get that thing down that trail? Well... your trail is a bit wider... one tree decided it was going to move out of my way as the rock rail pushed it over widening a bad turn...

Just don't try to sleep in the seats while waiting on a flight to arrive, They are tilted forward so you will fall out! LOL. Circa 1975.
    Give me something to believe in. Poison
    Arosmith What it takes
    A 12 step program

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast