Load DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWidenersSnyders Jerky
Repackbox Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I now have a Remington 510

Quote Originally Posted by schutzen-jager View Post
    see posts in this link + see post #3 - numerous other info on older Remingtons on that site -

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/threa.../#post-2016484
    Thanks for the information. I am also a member on rimfire central, relatively new there & have not learned to tap into all of the information there yet.

jmho - after over a decade i no longer participate in RFC since they were taken over by liberal media organization with totally unqualified administrators + bad attitude volunteers - many of the longtime knowledgeable posters have stopped posting or past on - i look in on occasions but will no longer post - lots of error filled posts based on opinions + not documented facts -
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

Stock Repaired & Refinished

The stock repair with Gorilla Glue was a success. The major damage to the left side is OK from a practical point of view. There is a hair line seam showing but I can live with that. There was a linear 2" crack on the right side that originated @ the bolt handle notch that had no displacement. I wet that area & put stress to slightly open the cack & the Gorilla Glue wicked right in & that repair is not visible.

I sealed with Permalyn (2 coats) & used CP "Gun Sav'r" (the aerosol version) for the final finish (4 coats). This product does not require any sanding between coats & is OK to recoat within 6-8 hours. I never waited more than 6.

Considering that this was an entry level rifle, I'm impressed at the quality of the walnut (those days are gone).

I have 3 processes of Laurel Mtn. Forge on the receiver/bbl. & plan to do one more. I do the boiling outside & wanted to get that done before cold weather. I can do the small parts inside on the stove (a very understanding wife).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MVC-027F.JPG   MVC-028F.JPG   MVC-029F.JPG  

It's going to look great and shoot greater.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Project completed

Here is a photo of the completed project. I did a rough sight-in & my youngest son will fine tune the sight-in; hopefully tomorrow. My 83 year eyes do not do well with open sights.

I had a trigger issue & several forum members helped me solve that problem (finally).

When the entire family gets together for Christmas we have two granddaughters that have sons that will be almost 2. I'm giving those granddaughters their choice of my current .22 rifles. !st. choice will be determined by "high card". If one chooses this one, I'll shorten this stock & complete another @ full size. The other photo is of the full size stock in progress.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MVC-030F.JPG   MVC-032F.JPG  

nice work - if you decide to cut down stock , original 510's are getting expensive [ seen some sell for more than complete rifles ] you can use a cheaper 512 stock for cutting down - you can find them with cracks forward of trigger guard from lifter overtravel - great thinking of younger generation my grandson asked to be willed my marlin 70 papoose - not many young people interested anymore - average age at my private club + collectors association is over 60 -
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

as they say in latin

I enlarged that photo to the max & used a magnifying glass. The grip alteration & shorter barrel is a great idea. That entire article would be a valuable addition to any gun nut (like me).

it is from a book published in 1973 - i will be out of state today [ 57th wedding anniversary ] - pm me with your mailing address + i will try to photostat the pages + mail them to you probably on Tuesday -

as they say in latin

it is from a book published in 1973 - i will be out of state today [ 57th wedding anniversary ] - pm me with your mailing address + i will try to photostat the pages + mail them to you probably on Tuesday -
    Many thanks.

mailing them this morning -

as they say in latin

nice work - if you decide to cut down stock , original 510's are getting expensive [ seen some sell for more than complete rifles ] you can use a cheaper 512 stock for cutting down - you can find them with cracks forward of trigger guard from lifter overtravel - great thinking of younger generation my grandson asked to be willed my marlin 70 papoose - not many young people interested anymore - average age at my private club + collectors association is over 60 -
    here is one 510 i pieced together from misc. parts - accuracy was improved with the 18 1/2" barrel - cut it off + squared with a file + finished crown with brass ball + valve grinding compound -

as they say in latin

Neat looking conversion & should be great handling size. I'm also a Mossberg freak: the 142-A & 152 with the 18" bbl. are handy & accurate (the favorite of some grandchildren).

Is that front sight from a Remington "P" (510P,511P,512P)?

correct on it being P model front - same sight was also used on all 513T models from 1942 thru 1944 U.S. military contract - found 1/2 dozen of them for $3.99 each a few years back - they are the correct height for Lyman 57RS, 5d-510 Williams, + some Redfields -

as they say in latin

Quote Originally Posted by oldhenry View Post
    The stock repair with Gorilla Glue was a success. The major damage to the left side is OK from a practical point of view. There is a hair line seam showing but I can live with that. There was a linear 2" crack on the right side that originated @ the bolt handle notch that had no displacement. I wet that area & put stress to slightly open the cack & the Gorilla Glue wicked right in & that repair is not visible.

I sealed with Permalyn (2 coats) & used CP "Gun Sav'r" (the aerosol version) for the final finish (4 coats). This product does not require any sanding between coats & is OK to recoat within 6-8 hours. I never waited more than 6.

Considering that this was an entry level rifle, I'm impressed at the quality of the walnut (those days are gone).

I have 3 processes of Laurel Mtn. Forge on the receiver/bbl. & plan to do one more. I do the boiling outside & wanted to get that done before cold weather. I can do the small parts inside on the stove (a very understanding wife).
    I wonder whether my 512 will shoot better with a cut back barrel? It did have a trumpet bore but I only took off about half an inch and that made a difference.

By the way, my 512 has a stock that looks just like yours. My 510 has a heavy sock. It looks like walnut to me.
    Last edited by 303Guy; 11-26-2022 at 11:23 PM.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

I've passed on 3 (1 to son & 2 to grandchildren) & I have 5 on hand. All have/had walnut stocks (most straight grained without any figure).

As stated earlier: my Mossberg 142-A & 152 (currently 5 total) have 18" bbls. & are great shooters. I liked the long sight radius of the 25" bbl. on the Remingtons when my vision was good. With my vision fading the 18"bbl. on the Mossbergs + the peep sight works better now.

BTW I just missed out on a clean 511 on Guns International ($209.99). Cabelas had so much business with the pre-Thanksgiving crowd that they didn't answer the phone all day Monday & a walk-in customer snapped it up.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12