Snyders JerkyInline FabricationTitan ReloadingLoad Data
RepackboxLee PrecisionWidenersReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Did I Just Buy

What Did I Just Buy

Fellas:
    Standard hard luck pitch at a gas station, with a twist. “Are you interested in a pistol?” revealed a K-frame 38 S&W. Looks original, with lanyard ring and 38 767 3 1/2 ton stamps on left side of barrel. Crown and BNP proof marks in between all cylinder charge holes, but no “V” in the serial number. I am 20 minutes into research, but thought to ask here before going down rabbit holes.
    Any info appreciated.
    Tony

Tagged

You'll shoot your eye out kid.

Those things can be really dangerous.
    Better let one of us older guys take that so you don't hurt yourself.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    Likely a stolen gun.

Boolit Master
    To me, the crown and BNP suggest Brit gun. I thought, perhaps wrong, that the V models were US arms and not intended for the Brits. When you say K frame, do you mean like the M&P or with adjustable sights? These might have been made with a matt finish. You do mean 38 Smith & Wesson, not 38 special? added link for British Proof Marks

https://www.vintageguns.co.uk/magazine/514-2
    Last edited by Dusty Bannister; 09-27-2022 at 10:48 PM.

Boolit Master
    To me, the crown and BNP suggest Brit gun. I thought, perhaps wrong, that the V models were US arms and not intended for the Brits. When you say K frame, do you mean like the M&P or with adjustable sights? These might have been made with a matt finish. You do mean 38 Smith & Wesson, not 38 special?

https://www.ww2-weapons.com/smith-we...re%20delivered.

Sounds like a victory model that went to Britan. Could be .38 special or .38 S&W. Good solid old guns.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    If it were me,, I'd be talking to my friends, in law enforcement. I'd have the gun's numbers run,,,, JUST IN CASE!

I would not want to be caught with a stolen gun.

AFTER that,, and if it comes up clean,, then the serious research can be done.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    +1 to Thumbcockerand a BIG +1 to contender1

That "deal" from the gas station could cause you a lot of problems . . . did you know the seller? If not - you may have just purchased a "hot" firearm, or worse yet, one that could be tied into a felony crime. I'm guessing that it must have been cheap since you really don't know what it is . . . . that's the first thing that should make the bells go off . . .

Boolit Master

You know two things to never buy at gas stations is the Sushi or cheap guns. Just Saying

Quote Originally Posted by dannyd View Post
    You know two things at gas stations you DON'T buy is the Sushi or cheap gun. Just Saying
    Fixed it for you.

I knew what it was when I saw it, but didn’t recall all the details. The revolver is in very nice shape with minor finish wear near the muzzle. I’ll get it cleaned up for a closer look, but all the serial numbers match. I still don’t see a “V” in the serial number or on the other side of the lanyard loop. Haven’t figured out what that means yet.
    The best fresh seafood in the rural county where I live is from a gas station, but I prefer my sushi breaded and deep fried!
    Tony

Boolit Buddy
    When I was a kid, if my dad wanted to describe something as really hot, he'd say it was "Hotter than a two-dollar pistol."
    I wonder if "Hotter than a gas station pistol" means the same thing.

It would seem that the OP isn't worried about that but there's no way I'd buy a pistol from someone with a hard luck story unless I knew them REALLY well and even then I'd wonder if they were getting ready to skip town suddenly.
    You'd be better off to just give someone money than to buy a stolen pistol let alone a stolen pistol used in a felony. And then to ask about it on line?!?!?
    But, not my monkeys nor my circus.

Boolit Master
    Right side of the barrel should either state 38S&W, or 38 Special. Without doing some research reviews, I think the British Victory model Smiths before Lend Lease or maybe even a little after that were not marked with a V on the serial number.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

"but all the serial numbers match." Tony, you are probably looking at the assembly numbers when you indicate more than 1 number. The only serial number on a Lend Lease S&W is on the bottom of the butt where the lanyard swivel is, or was. See if a 38 spl cartridge will chamber all the way in the cylinders. If they do, what you have is a coversion likely done in England or Australia after the war. If that is the case, the cases will probably split upon firing as the 38S&W case is larger in diameter than the 38 spl, causing a 2 diameter chamber(s).
    I had a chance to buy a pristine Lend Lease S&W but someone had ground the serial number off the butt. A lot of these guns got done this way because some of the G.I.'s returning home were afraid they would get in trouble because it is marked U S Property, but in reality, they created more trouble by defacing the ser#...a LOT MORE TROUBLE. Do yourself a favor and take it to the local PD and tell them you want them to run the numbers. If it is stolen, you will have to immediately surrender the gun and answer a bunch of questions but it beats getting caught with a hot gun. If not, you have a coveted piece on American history. I/we are not being judgemental but don't want to see you get into hot water.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Fellas, thanks for the concern. I am not worried about legality - the concerns mentioned do not apply here. All appropriate and required legal precautions will be taken, and worse case scenario is that I lose the purchase price of the pistol. I appreciate the advice, but that is not the information I was looking for with my original post. I realize that asking a question on the board about apples inevitably leads to a doctorate level education in oranges!

Joe; any idea where in the serial number range the V as part of the serial number appeared? I haven’t yet found anything on that.

Murf, I have another M&P 38 S&W that is currently with my Dad. The limited research I’ve done indicates the revolvers were serial numbered on the butt, bottom of the barrel, and cylinder. The numbers on this one all match. This one does not look like the cylinder was bored through for 38 Special, but I have not yet checked. I’ll get a roundtoit when cleaning after the legalities are satisfied.

Again, thanks to all for the concerns and all info appreciated.
    Tony

There are sites on the internet to run serial numbers through to see if the gun is listed stolen.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master
    S&W sold over 110,000 38/200 revolvers to the British, before they began the "V" serial number series in 1944. The serial numbers are all 6 digit, running from ~700,000 to ~1,000,000. They are mechanically identical to the M&P Model of 1905, 4th change and were numbered within the M&P serial number range.

S&W continued to produce more revolvers for British service, ultimately making some 568,000+, more than either the standard Enfield or substitute standard Webley revolvers combined. According Ian Hogg, they were much liked by the Commonwealth troops and preferred over the Enfield/Webley Break tops.

In the 1990's, thousands were reportedly imported from Australia and Singapore. Mine was an Aussie gun with a 5" barrel and enough markings and stampings to make a decent book and cost 99 dollars. It is a 2" 38 Special now. I have no use for the 38 S&W cartridge.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3753.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	63.0 KB 
ID:	305081
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    While I like S & W and own some vintage K frames, I'm far from an "expert". You say no "V" (as Victory Models were marked) but Lanyard Ring . . . something sticks in my mind about a batch of K frames used by Hong Kong Police at one time - IIRC, they were equipped with Lanyard Rings . Crown and "BNP" - British National Police? You might try some googling on it and see what comes up. You can always go over to the S & W site and post some photos and an inquiry - you'll probably get a quick answer on it with some good info. Is it a $" barrel?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast