RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyRepackboxLee PrecisionWideners
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything

Thread: Mossberg 88 Trigger Group

Boolit Buddy

Mossberg 88 Trigger Group

It's called the Maverick, anyone up to speed on these things? Bought it used but it looks like it has never been fired.

The spring on the right side of the trigger that applies pressure to the bottom of the transfer bar; is the section right under the transfer bar supposed contact the underside of the transfer bar or just the hooked portion on the end? Currently, the straight section under the transfer bar is "bellied" out (hanging) slightly to the inside of the bar. Pulling and releasing the trigger drags the bar in a sawing motion at an angle across the spring. Makes for a gritty trigger.

The hammer springs transfer bar rubs the side of the trigger also creating drag. Probably more parasitic loss in there that I can't see.

Some pointers would be great, I played with this one enough to realize these things are not all that much fun to reassemble.

Boolit Buddy
    Looks like it is intended that the spring in question drag on the underside of the trigger to sear bar. I wouldn't have done it that way . . . but Mossberg didn't ask me. Took the bar out, fine filed the bottom flat and rounded the corners then polished it. Clipped a coil from the trigger return spring and polished the hammer spring transfer bar where it the touches the side of the trigger; Not starting with much of a trigger group with a plastic housing and very generous pin fit but, the pull is down a pound + to 3 1/2 - 3 3/4 lb and the sticky trigger return and gritty pull are gone.

Nothing to do with the trigger but while apart I went ahead and smoothed a bunch of rough surfaces and edges in the slide action. The difference in feel when cycling was dramatic.