RepackboxRotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad DataReloading Everything
Wideners

Thread: Ruger #3 Scope Woes

Boolit Master

Ruger #3 Scope Woes

I'm helping a fellow that picked up a #3 not long ago install a scope. The two piece Ruger mounts were purchased from shopruger.com and installed. Then two Ruger rings I had in my stash were utilized. They looked like a perfect match due to the front ring's base was taller than the one for the rear. Picture for details:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ruger #3 .jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	54.9 KB 
ID:	305058

Upon firing the bullet hit approximately 6 feet low. The scope elevation was cranked up to the max and the next put a divot into the dirt about 2 feet low. I suppose a shorter front ring base could be utilized, but not having shimmed a ring, or base mount, before is 24" plausible? In reality it would need to be even more than 2 feet to recalibrate the scope closer to zero on the elevation setting.
    Thanks for any suggestions you offer.

ChristopherO

Your pic shows one ring higher than the other.

The bottom halves of both rings should be the same height/thickness for your application

Replace one ring - either a lower ring for the front or a higher ring for the rear.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    Picking the rifle up once more and looking just told me what I didn't see before. The front ring base is just too tall. I'll need to remove and measure to be able to order the correct size base. Or, better yet, swap out the rear base with a taller model to allow more room to chamber a round under the ocular lens.

Thanks, Pietro. I just noticed my mistake and wrote the above as you were answering. When first installing the rings it appeared that the slope of the barrel necessitated the need for a taller front base. Finally, stepping away from the rifle and picking it back up allowed me to see the error of my ways.
    All the best,

ChristopherO

Boolit Grand Master
    Yep. I'd probably swap the front for the rear and see what happens.

Boolit Master

You need a shorter rear ring or a taller front ring if you are shooting low.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pworley1 View Post
    You need a shorter rear ring or a taller front ring if you are shooting low.
    No, that would further separate where the crosshairs are from the plane of the barrel. The taller front ring is already forcing the muzzle down too far from the crosshairs point of aim as it is. Even taller would exacerbate that issue further. This is the opposite from the long range rigs where the front of the scope is set at an steep angle down to facilitate an acute muzzle rise to hit the target extreme ranges. I'm just trying to level the scope out so the crosshairs and the bore are more closely aligned. I was having a brain fart when putting this together for my friend, thinking the taller sight out front would compensate for the barrel's contour. I had these on hand and thought he could save purchasing a new set of rings. Obviously I was wrong.

The first time I installed the rings was that switched without noticing, until I placed the scope on. That was pretty out of wack, as well. Time for a new set of matching rings to finish this installation so this #3 is ready for gun season this Fall.

Thanks for everyone's thoughts. Sometime I need to communicate where I've stumped myself to finally recognize the solution.

Boolit Master

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by John Taylor View Post
    I normally bore sight in on a yellow or orange ball at 25 yards to get on paper. Was in a hurry that day and it cost a whopping 2 cast lead bullets, some older H4227, two tuffs of dacron and two primers. Nothing against a red dot bore site in the least, but think I'll still be money ahead in the long run. Now to get the fellow to splurge on the new rings before too long.

You have a handle on it, it will soon be perfect.

Boolit Buddy
    I think you have a set of rings for a 77 model where one is taller than the other. You need a set of rings for the #1. They are the same height. The bases should compensate for the barrel diameter differences and the tops should be the same height. Check it with a straight edge.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye Bly View Post
    I think you have a set of rings for a 77 model where one is taller than the other. You need a set of rings for the #1. They are the same height. The bases should compensate for the barrel diameter differences and the tops should be the same height. Check it with a straight edge.
    Excellent idea. Will do.

I keep a metal yard stick in my shop beside my bench to make sure I check my newly mounted scope bases and rings.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Cast Boolits Owner

Ruger #3 scope bases are different front & rear. If you have the correct scope bases installed correctly - taller one in front and shorter one in the rear then any scope rings will work.

I have #3’s in 22 Hornet, 22 TCM (Re-barreled .223), .223, .44 Mag and 45-70. Scope bases tormented me long ago.
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

Cast Boolits Owner

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye Bly View Post

Concur.
    #1’s have a factory one piece rail which has integral dovetails for scope rings. #3’s have no rail but are drilled & tapped at different diameters of the barrel therefore requiring different height scope bases.
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

Quote Originally Posted by No_1 View Post

Ruger #3 scope bases are different front & rear.

If you have the correct scope bases installed correctly - taller one in front and shorter one in the rear then any scope rings will work.

Not if the rings themselves are of un-equal heights - the OP had mixed height rings, which are proper for Ruger 77's , but not for the $1 & #3 Rugers

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Moderator Emeritus

Ruger is good (or is that bad?) about rings and bases being different heights on their different guns.
    The Super Redhawk requires a taller ring in front, shorter in back.
    If the OP pulled "two Ruger rings I had in my stash were utilized" the original purpose of those rings could have been from a number of different models.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by ChristopherO View Post
    I'm helping a fellow that picked up a #3 not long ago install a scope. The two piece Ruger mounts were purchased from shopruger.com and installed.

>>>SNIP
    I've never seen those steel Ruger design mounts specifically for a Number 3

Quote Originally Posted by No_1 View Post
    SNIP>>>

I have #3’s in 22 Hornet, 22 TCM (Re-barreled .223), .223, .44 Mag and 45-70. Scope bases tormented me long ago.
    I used the aluminum Weaver brand bases for my 22 horn as well as my 45-70. I too, was tormented with those projects...ended up shimming them...and the shimming wasn't similar between the two. I recall breaking out the epoxy for one of them
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001