Inline FabricationRepackboxWidenersLee Precision
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new Guide Gun is here

Boolit Bub

new Guide Gun is here

It looks like the new Ruger built Guide Gun is here.

https://www.marlinfirearms.com/s/model_1895guide/

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hero.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	20.8 KB 
ID:	305023

They need to ditch that stupid safety. I just bought a Pedersoli 86/71 just because it is "safety free".

To Hell with all the darn 45/70's, when are they going to introduce the others??

RP

Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care".

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Ruger, pleez, pleez, pleez bring back the 1895 CBA!
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by freakonaleash View Post
    They need to ditch that stupid safety.
    That's not really a dealbreaker at all. Keeps the lawyers away.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Long as it doesn't engage by itself or light strike I couldn't care less about the safety. That looks like a really nice USA made lever action for the same price or less as a JM Marlin with no warranty or an Italian import.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Buddy

After handling a buddys guide gun, i'd buy one.
    BUT id sooner buy a 45-70 and a 38-55 cowboy.

Boolit Master
    Love the 45-70, and I guess those are the ones that are selling so those are what get made. Someday they'll bring back the 357, 44, and 45 versions.
    I'm a big fan of data-driven decisions. You want to make me smile, show me a spreadsheet! Extra points for graphs and best-fit predictive equations.

While I'm glad that Ruger finally has Marlin gun production going, I'm a tad disappointed the first release is a Guide Gun.

I've had several different .45-70's over the past years, and got a new Guide Gun for hunting, back when Marlin first introduced them.

While they are certainly very handy, I soon found that I liked the 22" barreled version better for hunting. (YMMV, of course)

I'd like to see Ruger bring back the Model 1894's & Model 39a's - so, I guess we'll see (or not).

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post

While I'm glad that Ruger finally has Marlin gun production going, I'm a tad disappointed the first release is a Guide Gun.

I've had several different .45-70's over the past years, and got a new Guide Gun for hunting, back when Marlin first introduced them.

While they are certainly very handy, I soon found that I liked the 22" barreled version better for hunting. (YMMV, of course)

I'd like to see Ruger bring back the Model 1894's & Model 39a's - so, I guess we'll see (or not).

YES!
    people get in an all fired hurry to lop off longer barrels. My dad has an old 1895 from the 70's, and ive always loved the way it handled. So much so i bought one.

The short ones are neat and handy, but the way to my heart with 45-70, or any levergun really, is a longer barrel and full mag tube.

My new to me Henry single shot has a 22" tube but handles like a Guide Gun. Still wanting a Golden Boy or maybe a Ruglin though.

Boolit Bub
    I really like what Ruger has done with the 1895s. However, I'm anxious to see something (336 and 1894s) other than that 1895.
    Last edited by vonb; 09-29-2022 at 02:58 PM.

USMC 77, USRA 79

Not sure I understand the whole threaded barrel in 45/70 ????
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Master
    Yeah, I wish they would bring back the more normal lever guns such as the 336 in 30-30 and 35 Remington and the 1894 in all it's common chamberings. A run of 1894 Classics like they made in the 1990's in 218 Bee, 25-20 and 32-20 would be nice too. There are only a relatively few people who can justify a short barrel 45-70. I don't see how they sell so well if indeed they do. A light weight rifle with a narrow buttstock chambered for 45-70 is not going to be much fun to shoot and it certainly isn't required to kill a deer, which is what the vast majority of big game hunters are going to use it for. Also they are going to have to get the prices down to about what the JM Marlins are selling for or nobody is going to want the new ones. When they build these fancy version that sell for $2,000 most people are going to pass, myself included.

unless they offer them without the threaded barrel and with a real walnut non-plywood stock I'm not at all interested... i also would like to see the 1894 back in production : blued and with real wood!!

Boolit Master
    Only a foolish company who is not paying attention to the market would stop offering threaded barrels. 45-70 is a perfect cartridge for suppression, and suppressors are enormously popular now. I will say that I feel exactly the opposite: no gun without a threaded barrel will be joining my stable from here on out, barring revolvers of course. I have two, and can see my way to at least one more.
    I'm a big fan of data-driven decisions. You want to make me smile, show me a spreadsheet! Extra points for graphs and best-fit predictive equations.

FWIW

There are multiple hunting locations (some US states, for example) that do not allow suppressors/silencers on firearms, at all - which makes the threading an un-necessary option for folks there.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master

Just picked up one of the '95 Trapper models, Ruger has it figured out. These are nice pieces of equipment.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Mold
    I was tempted to pick one of these up at the local shop but they are selling for well above the "Suggested" sale price. Beautiful rifle though!

It is encouraging to see these new 45-70s staying available on websites for around $1,500 now. Sooner, or later, we might actually have the option to buy them at MSRP. LOL!

While I am not interested in 45-70, I would buy a 336 in both 30-30 and 35 Remington. I am waiting Ruger.
    "...journalism may be the greatest plague we face today - as the world becomes more and more complicated and our minds are trained for more and more simplification"
    Nassim Taleb
    'Fooled by Randomness'

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast