RotoMetals2RepackboxTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyWidenersLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data

Thread: 7.62X39 AR15 Mold

Boolit Buddy

7.62X39 AR15 Mold

Looking at NOE's 310-167-FNGC AK3 (no, I haven't talked to Al yet). Interesting that the barrel slugged a tight (for a 7.62X39) .307". 18" @ 1 in 10 twist. If you've used this mold or have experience with another in the same weight range in an AR, I'd like to know how you made out.

I'm not familiar with that but most guys here use the Lee .312. Most of these people here use that out of an SKS or AK that slug out larger than your barrel.

Boolit Master

I have t used that NOE either. But the RCBS & LEE 155. Both are great. Knowing NOE I am sure it will be just as good.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by scottnc View Post
    Looking at NOE's 310-167-FNGC AK3 (no, I haven't talked to Al yet). Interesting that the barrel slugged a tight (for a 7.62X39) .307". 18" @ 1 in 10 twist. If you've used this mold or have experience with another in the same weight range in an AR, I'd like to know how you made out.
    I have a Bear Creek Arsenal AR 15 upper in 7.62x39 and have slugged the barrel at 301x308. This was with a micrometer and not a caliper. I have used both .308 and .310 bullets in it and accuracy is good for both. I have used the Lee 312-155 and the Lee 309-150. I have been happy so far and will use this to hunt with this fall.

Boolit Buddy
    I too used a micrometer. BCA claims 300 and 310. The NOE bullet (dummy round) will not chamber, the "bore riding" diameter of the nose won't allow it. Shame too, I really like it and had hoped sizing it down would work. I'll have a look at the Lee molds you use Grayone. Need to call Al at NOE too.

FWIW, the NOE mold sized .3155" is shooting extremely well in a lightly modified SKS with the gas system blocked. I won't quote group size, can't prove it unless you stop by the house - so no sense starting a run down the flame rabbit hole.
    Last edited by scottnc; 10-03-2022 at 06:00 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Grayone View Post
    I have used the Lee 312-155 and the Lee 309-150. I have been happy so far and will use this to hunt with this fall.
    Grayone, No dimensional details on the Lee site for the 309-150, at least I didn't find them. Could I get you to measure the overall bullet length, the bullet nose length forward of the crimp groove, the diameter of flat on the nose and finally, the diameter of the bullet just forward of the crimp groove? Thanks!

Somewhere around here I have an NOE for a .314, 129gr boolit that worked beautifully in my CZ 527, sized down to .311. Haven't loaded that caliber in years, but it's the nicest mold I ever bought, so I hung on to it.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by scottnc View Post
    Grayone, No dimensional details on the Lee site for the 309-150, at least I didn't find them. Could I get you to measure the overall bullet length, the bullet nose length forward of the crimp groove, the diameter of flat on the nose and finally, the diameter of the bullet just forward of the crimp groove? Thanks!
    OAL-.850,Bullet Nose Length-.408, FN-.200, Just forward of crimp groove is .305: Note this is with a powder coated bullet as I don't have any naked at the moment. .300 on the bullet nose is .282 back from the flat nose. Hope this helps

Boolit Buddy
    That's what I needed! Thanks Grayone!!