Load DataRepackboxLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Wideners Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: South African gun shop

South African gun shop

While we were in South Africa earlier this month we got to go into town one day. Lephalale is a town of about 17,000 in Limpopo province. The shop is called Wild Man Huntin and Outdoor.

I went up to the counter and explained to the young man there that I was visiting from the U.S. and asked if it would be ok if I took photos inside the shop. He replied " Of course sir. Thank you for asking first. Would you like to see the safe where we keep the guns and ammo? "

Would I? Heck yeah! It seems that in South Africa guns and ammo are kept in a safe, in this case the size of an efficiency apartment, even in the shop. There were air rifles on display out front.

The young man took me back and let me take pics. We chatted for a few minutes. He was up to date on things gun related in the U.S. Like every South African I interacted with he was polite, asked about my trip, and wanted to know what I thought of his country.

Here are the pics. Note the AKM's and other black rifles. Also note the large selection of bolt guns. Also... they had primers in stock.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Lol, that's the most primers I've seen in one spot in a long time.

RP

Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care".

Thanks for sharing. It looks like a good selection. Does a South African citizen have lots of hoops to jump through to purchase a long gun? I didn't see handguns so I won't ask. Does the monkey sitting on the gun safe work there?
    Me and Mrs TbG need to go there someday!

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Cool. Thanks for sharing. The shop doesn’t look any different than shoppes here. What kind of restrictions to own and use a firearm there? And what was a couple cost references you might remember?

Have a friend there in SA, lots of hoops to jump through, with licenses to be renewed quite often.
    And limited to how many, and yes they can own handguns.

RP

Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care".

Some of the younger PHs carried 9mm side arms to put down wounded critters without tearing them up. According to people I talked to a defensive shooting means someone with a knife at 10 meters or less. Long guns require a license. First time requires a psyc evaluation, course, proficiency test, and etc. Then you can buy your rifle and wait for processing. 8 months is not uncommon. More long guns can be put on the license but still a long wait time.

I was asked about buying a long gun here. I explained the FOID card and the 3 day waiting period. The locals were just stunned that it was that easy. I then explained that in some states it was a matter of showing ID, getting the instant background check, paying, and leaving with your gun immediately. They couldn't believe it. Count your blessings folks. We have our problems here and we spend a lot of time bickering with each other, but by and large we have it real good in the US of A.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Grand Master
    Thanks for posting.

Hope you and the Mrs had a good trip!!
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy
    I’d shop there! Thanks for sharing

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcocker View Post
    …..We have our problems here and we spend a lot of time bickering with each other, but by and large we have it real good in the US of A.
    Lots of people want to change that. Gotta let your congressmen know where you stand, often

Boolit Master

Look at that selection of powders and primers.... Pre china flu! I remember when shops I trade at looked that way......

Boolit Buddy
    Beautiful sight.

Boolit Master
    Isn't it amazing that foreign countries have reloading supplies in good stock,, while here in the USA we are struggling?

Quote Originally Posted by contender1 View Post
    Isn't it amazing that foreign countries have reloading supplies in good stock,, while here in the USA we are struggling?
    I doubt if they had the insane panic buying like we did here. The last election fueled some crazy stuff.

I was in one gunshop and listened to one guy braying that what was on the shelf was all we'd ever see again in our lives. He bought ammo for calibers he didn't own. Bet he's still got it, doesn't have a clue what he's going to do with it. No gun to use it in and too late to sell it for gouger prices.

His grand kids will probably tear his house apart looking for the non-existent guns grandpa bought that ammo for.

"Grampa wouldn't have bought ammo for a gun he didn't own".

Heard multiple speeches like that in the 4 gun clubs I frequent on a regular basis AND posts here. "I bought xxx because it was there and I haven't seen it in months. Didn't need it, but I wasn't gonna leave it there". Look through the posts here and you'll see multiple posts saying the same thing.

"We have meet the enemy and they is us!"
    Last edited by 15meter; 09-27-2022 at 09:25 PM.

Boolit Master
    The sad part is all the made in the U.S.A. labels and hardly any here.
    Old retired guy in Baton Rouge La.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcocker View Post
    Some of the younger PHs carried 9mm side arms to put down wounded critters without tearing them up. According to people I talked to a defensive shooting means someone with a knife at 10 meters or less. Long guns require a license. First time requires a psyc evaluation, course, proficiency test, and etc. Then you can buy your rifle and wait for processing. 8 months is not uncommon. More long guns can be put on the license but still a long wait time.

I was asked about buying a long gun here. I explained the FOID card and the 3 day waiting period. The locals were just stunned that it was that easy. I then explained that in some states it was a matter of showing ID, getting the instant background check, paying, and leaving with your gun immediately. They couldn't believe it. Count your blessings folks. We have our problems here and we spend a lot of time bickering with each other, but by and large we have it real good in the US of A.
    Comparatively we have it better but for how long? Some very much want to change what we have into a SA style system or worse.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Buddy
    Here's a theory as to why they have so much ammo and components in stock:
    South Africans aren't allowed to buy ammo in bulk. They need a license for every gun they own and are only allowed to own a certain amount of ammunition for each gun.
    I don't know if this is universal, but my PH last year told me that he is only allowed to own 100 rounds of ammo for each gun on his license.
    He carried a CZ 9mm while we were hunting and said he has it on him "from Monday to Sunday". Think of it- two boxes of 9mm being all you are allowed to own at one time.

If the South Africans could buy as much ammo as they wanted, I bet it wouldn't be in stock there either.

On the other side, suppressors are totally unregulated and you can buy one like you buy a flash hider here.

For as many restrictions as the law abiding folks have in South Africa, my PH said the country is awash in illegal handguns. Crime is really bad and the police are corrupt. Anyone who owns property has razorwire fences around their yards and keeps their power tools in bunker-like sheds.

The hunting was cool, but visiting South Africa made me love the USA even more.

Boolit Master

On the other side, suppressors are totally unregulated and you can buy one like you buy a flash hider here.
    Of all the ridiculously stupid firearm laws/regs we have, the sound suppressor one has to be the stupidest.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by oley55 View Post
    Of all the ridiculously stupid firearm laws/regs we have, the sound suppressor one has to be the stupidest.
    If the Government really had our best interests in mind, they would mandate suppressors.

Riding through Pretoria and Johannesburg was eye opening and scary.

I'm not sure what the laws are on reloading but one PH told me it is pretty common. Our PH was just getting started loading .308.

Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for sharing the photos.
    I bet it was a great time.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast