RepackboxReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Load DataInline FabricationWidenersLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: .410 loads and chronograph results

.410 loads and chronograph results

Let me preface this post by saying YES I am aware of the risks of using non-published data, and "hot-rodding" recipes on my own. I feel that I'd almost certainly get crucified and get the book thrown at me on Shotgun World or some of the other sites. However, I feel that this site would at least appreciate seeing some "other" data. My buddy and I have been obsessed with .410 the past year, and not competitively like trap or hunting. We just like to **** around, analyze ****, and try to push limits. Both of us have been in the automotive/race engine industry for the past 20yrs or so... which I guess makes pushing the limits of stuff as second nature to us. Anyway, it goes without saying that the load data in this post is to be used at your own risk. You all know the signs, and what to look for when working a load up. Tread carefully.. enjoy the data provided and don't give me TOO much grief for "wildcatting" or "hot rodding" LOL! I'll try to answer any questions that come up. I have multiple pictures and videos of our range trips and can/will upload them if someone can lead me to a good hosting site aside from imgur. Ok here goes...
    (By the way.. this all started when I read a post maybe a year ago on here as using a .40" ball as a slug, and working up some loads from there. Not all these loads are slug loads. I'll make the notes best I can. Also, chronograph number posted is an average of however many we shot which was between 6 and 12 shells of each load. All loads were sent from a bare bones, no name Turkish single shot break action 18" barrel.)

The following loads were Fiocchi 2.5" hull, BX410 wad, one Hornady .395" lead ball(80gr) and a cork spacer on top finished with a roll crimp. The spacer was so we could maintain the proper stack height to keep the finished shell at 2.5"

22.0 Alliant 410: 1524fps average. Manageable yet stout recoil. Decently accurate.
    18.0 VihtaVuori N110: 1347fps average. Medium recoil. Decently accurate, prob needs more work.
    22.0 Lil Gun: 1740fps average. Very loud. Accurate. Big flash.
    30.0 Lil Gun: 2127fps average. Even louder. Like a flashbang grenade. Just as accurate. Barrel gets hot.
    21.0 AA 1680: 1475fps. Loudest of them all. Would honestly make for a good 4th of July blank possibly. Accuracy ok.
    16.8 Longshot: 2296fps. Far and away the winner. Sounds more like a rifle. Very accurate. Will be loading 100 of these soon.

The following loads were same Fiocchi hull/BX410 wad, Fury Bullets 212gr(1/2oz).410 slug, no spacer, finished w/ roll crimp:

21.0gr H110: 1467fps, 22.0gr H110: 1570fps, 23.0gr H110: 1663fps. All were stout recoiling, and good accuracy.
    26.5gr IMR-4198: 1427fps. Excellent accuracy, makes some smoke, dirties barrel faster than others. Recoil medium.
    16.0gr N110: 1230fps. Mild recoil, and could definitely be worked up more. Not bad for what it is.
    18.0gr 300-MP: 1225fps. Similar performance to N110 load but add a lot of muzzle flash.
    14.0gr Enforcer: 1083fps. Loud and not very accurate. Low velocity. Prob not ideal. Scrapped this one.

Oh and just for good measure, and since I'm already sharing info.. here's my favorite .410 buckshot load that rocks the house:
    22.5gr W296 with BX410 wad and 3 balls of Hornady 000B(.350") finished with roll crimp: 1536fps.

Hope you enjoy reading this post. I know I enjoyed all that testing! And that Longshot load is 100% a keeper! And if you're scared, it works fine loaded back unlike H110/296. We loaded it in steps down to I think 10.5gr and it was still behaving great, just less velocity. Regarding flattened primers or overpressure, there was no "primer flow" at all in this range session. Of course they're all going to be on the flat side with hot loads like this, but nothing to bug out over. If I had to pick the flattest primers of the bunch it would be the AA 1680 and IMR-4198 primers. But I didn't see anything in dire need of being dialed back a notch.

Again: use at your own risk. Cheers!!

Boolit Master
    you can fit way more than 3 balls of buckshot in..happily....... surprisingly accurate,I believe the secret is the balls are in line and may slipstream each other on exiting muzzle.
    there is a cartridge shell that can be adapted..think its a 9.3xsomthing or other..... makes a good 3" brass case which will happily take 3/4oz shot load and poke it out rather zippy like.
    I took allsorts of liberties loading the wee cartridge without being silly about it...good results and no dramas.

Just so you know,,, Federal 1/4 oz.(110gr) .410 Slugs are running 1775 fps and they are hot!!! My standard .410 shot load is 16 gr of H110/W296 for 1250 fps.
    Some more info for you to chew on.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    so put into perspective....the .410 at muzzle is similar to a .243 at 250-300 yards...on paper at least.
    MOST pig hunters who use a shotgun for bail type situation..shots under 10 yards being the normal.... gave up on .410 and went back to .12ga for more horsepower..... but buckshot is better than a solid in the wee case from what Ive seen.

What choke is the barrel ? I was told in the past that Full choke is not good for slugs unless you put them in smaller then the barrel , I have not try it , I had just mess around with buckshot and increase the shot load in 2 1/2" and 3 " .
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by hondamikek View Post

The following loads were Fiocchi 2.5" hull, BX410 wad, one Hornady .395" lead ball(80gr) and a cork spacer on top finished with a roll crimp. The spacer was so we could maintain the proper stack height to keep the finished shell at 2.5"
    Lost me. How does a 2 1/2 inch hull roll crimp to 2 1/2 inch??

Shell length is determined by un crimped length.

Makes me wonder about the rest of data

Boolit Master

I like my 2 ball .390 & .395 loads using one BX "stump wad and a 3/8 wad and a second ball on top of lil gun.

Im not a big fan of lil gun for cartritages but its a dandy here in the 410. This load chronographs about 1500 and is listed in manual from Bal products. It shoots very well ALWAYS under 6" @ 50 yards often under 3" impact spacing. Hits with authority.

https://youtu.be/drbNgn7E7hs
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw