MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackboxLoad Data
Reloading EverythingWidenersInline FabricationLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky

Thread: Help me identify this .50 caliber boolit

Help me identify this .50 caliber boolit

I was gifted a range bag of goodies, and an old CVA 'Hawken' pistol this spring. I finally got to look through the bag and found about 50 of these monsters.
    They measure .504" diameter, are 1.250" long, have a slight bevel base, and weigh a lot over 505 grains, which is the limit of my reloading scales.
    I've found similar online but not exactly this one. I've come to think they're for BPCR... any help is appreciated. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220927_020419.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	19.4 KB 
ID:	305015
    if it doesn't fit, don't force it. Get a BIGGER HAMMER!

Boolit Buddy
    Looks like something for a 50/70 or 50/ 90, 50/110. Based on a 45/70 case. Used by buffalo hunters in the 1880s.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I took a quick look at the Ideal/Lyman chart but didn't find anything - if it was shorter, it would remind me of the Plans bullet, but 595 grains is heftier tha that mould IIRC? I agree with Jackrabbit - I'm thinking it's intended for a 50 cal. cartridge of some type that someone tried and had some success in your rifle, if they were all together? A good looking piece of lead that would probably make someone my age say ouch to the recoil - I don't think I would want to be on the receiving end of it! Hopefully someone will be able to give you a positive ID on it.

Good luck with the CVA and have fun!

Boolit Master
    They are for a White muzzleloading rifle. White muzzleloading was around for a short time in the mid 90's they were an inline that looked a lot like a knight big horn or american. They weren't around long I think it had to do something with the fact they were almost a exact copy of the cheaper knight rifles but with the price tag above the most expensive ones. If those bullets came in a tube with blue caps on the ends then they are white's for sure they had a odd way of packaging for there bullets.

+1

The White muzzleloaders were available in .504 caliber.

https://www.d4guns.com/product/white...etail-504-cal/
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

If those bullets came in a tube with blue caps on the ends then they are white's for sure they had a odd way of packaging for there bullets.[/QUOTE]

Yes, they are in a clear tube with blue caps! 1Hawkeye, Pietro, thank you for your help. Definitely NOT trying them in my .50 Hawken pistol, or my Traditions Evo. rifle....

Bedbugbilly, thanks. I really haven't had a chance to do more than fire the pistol a few shots. But I'm looking forward to finding a good accurate load for it with round balls.