RepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
WidenersInline FabricationReloading EverythingLoad Data
RotoMetals2

Thread: what powder do they use in aguila .22 super extra?

Boolit Mold

what powder do they use in aguila .22 super extra?

I have been trying to come up with a good combo of lead and powder for my .22tcm reloads. I tried casting 50 grain .22 bullets and tried using varmit grenades but none worked all that well. So today I bought several boxes of this .22 ammo to reuse the bullets and then use the brass ( once cut down ) for percussion caps for one of my muzzle loaders. But I would also perfure to reuse the powder as well. If I knew the burn rates etc. for the powder I could use the load data for whatever powder is similar.
    Any ideas?
    I am thinking it may be close to power pistol? T I A

Boolit Master

Good luck with that search. I tried years ago asking a domestic manufacturer (Winchester) what powder they use in their 9 mm white box ammo. Was told it wasn’t a commercially available product. I don’t think a Latin American company will be more accommodating.

Boolit Master
    St. Marks powder, out of Florida, was used in some of the factory ammo. they don't sell to general public.
    shot with a factory rep at Ft. Benning, GA. a few years ago. I cannot speak for any other powders or ammo makers.

Boolit Master

in the past i read that VV 3N37 was also used in 22 rim fire !

The latest issue of Handloader (Oct 22) has an extensive article by Patrick Meitin about reloading for the .22 TCM with jacketed bullets. It might give you some ideas.

I've cast a 37gr boolit for several years for mine. H110 or w296 works fine and there are loads listed for it. (Search here or pm me and I'll give you what I use) handloader mag had an article in I think 2019 on it also. You have been able to get the oem bullets from armscore evey now and then.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    My understanding is that some (many? most?) ammo manufacturers buy powder in bulk, use in house labs to test it’s characteristics, and load from there. Each new batch of powder needs testing to adjust the load so it meets the performance standards for the round being produced. As mentioned above, the powders used are generally not available to reloaders. The “canister” grade powders reloaders buy need to be consistent from lot to lot, so production and testing are done by the powder manufacturer to insure that.

All that to say: I’m not so sure the powder in those rounds is identifiable, is consistent (unless all the same lot), is available as a canister powder or has a close commercially available equivalent, or has published load data. You might have to do test loads yourself, and that might be very hazardous.