WidenersLoad DataInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading

Thread: New Rossi 92's

Boolit Bub

New Rossi 92's

Hello,

I have been hearing good things about the new Rossi 92's built by CBC(?). So I went on the Rossi forum and a few guys there said the new 44 magnums have bore sizes that vary.

I am looking for a 45 Colt. Do the 45 Colt rifles also suffer from this or is this internet gossip? I cast a 250 gr bullet from an Accurate mold and size it .454" for my Marlin and my Blackhawk.

I should explain a little I guess. In a previous thread I asked about Citadel Levtac 92's in 357 magnum. I went ahead and ordered one of those.

I am looking for a camper gun. 30 years ago when my kids were little we went camping and fishing a lot and I always had my Marlin in the truck. Nowadays my Marlins are kind of collectors items. Who would have thought that right? I am going to start camping next year with my grandkids so I want a Rossi or a Levtac as a beater. Maybe both.

So if you have one of the newer Rossis in 45 Colt will a .454" bullet work?

Thanks in advance.

Boolit Master
    I size all of my .45 Colts to .452 and they work just fine in my '92 Rossi. Don't know about sizing to .454, but probably would still work.

Quote Originally Posted by papaglenn View Post
    Hello,

I have been hearing good things about the new Rossi 92's built by CBC(?). So I went on the Rossi forum and a few guys there said the new 44 magnums have bore sizes that vary.

I am looking for a 45 Colt. Do the 45 Colt rifles also suffer from this or is this internet gossip? I cast a 250 gr bullet from an Accurate mold and size it .454" for my Marlin and my Blackhawk.

I should explain a little I guess. In a previous thread I asked about Citadel Levtac 92's in 357 magnum. I went ahead and ordered one of those.

I am looking for a camper gun. 30 years ago when my kids were little we went camping and fishing a lot and I always had my Marlin in the truck. Nowadays my Marlins are kind of collectors items. Who would have thought that right? I am going to start camping next year with my grandkids so I want a Rossi or a Levtac as a beater. Maybe both.

Thanks in advance.
    I would take that with a grain of salt.
    You can have 3 people slug the same bore and get three different dimensions.

I owned a newer (with Bainbridge GA stamp) Rossi 92 in .45 Colt and loved it. Shot mostly factory ammo so I never slugged the bore. Plan to replace it with a new Henry BB Steel carbine with side gate.

Boolit Grand Master
    My guess is if it will chamber a .454" boolit, it will shoot fine.

I don't remember ever slugging mine, it is a few years old, I just ran whatever I had loaded for my 1894CB Marlin and they worked fine. IIRC they were sized .452".

Robert

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I have several .45 Colt rifles and revolvers, both old and new. I shoot .454 in all of them. Accurate 45-264H with 7 grains of Bullseye. K.I.S.S. principle.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    I have several .45 Colt rifles and revolvers, both old and new. I shoot .454 in all of them. Accurate 45-264H with 7 grains of Bullseye. K.I.S.S. principle.
    I shoot a similar bullet, the Accurate 45-250P. I load it over 7 gr of Bullseye or 8.5 gr of Unique. Works good in my Marlin and my Blackhawk.

I hope it will shoots well in the new CBC built Rossi if I decide to buy one.

Thanks very much.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by papaglenn View Post
    Hello,

Thanks in advance.
    Keep a sharp eye out for the Henry rifles made before they added the side loading gate. They tend to sell for alot less than the side gate models and you still get Henry's excellent warranty service if you should ever need it. I've seen NIB examples go for the same price as a new Rossi.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Probably useless information but here goes .

I have 2 about a 1986 and a 2016 .
    They have 1-32" twists .
    Both shot well enough to kill hogs inside 60 yd .
    They are built on the same action as the 44 mag if they have an "M" serial number. I've shot my start Ruger loads that are slightly over standard 45 Colts loads with a 1968 lot of Unique depending on which book your looking at . Also there were 454s built on this chassis .
    I shot a few PMC and Cowboy loaded RP factory loads I had on hand . The PMC , Win and CBC brass is fine , the RP regardless of the original loading or even new brass won't cycle in either one even after tuning and polishing.
    The 1-32" twist is fine inside 75 yd with 454424 Lyman , 454-250 Kieth , and the Lee 452-255 (mine casts 454-265) inside 75 yd . I have well respected member witnesses that I was spreading serious terror to golf balls inside 75 yd . Unfortunately past 78 yd shots began to climb towards 10:00 some completely missing a 10ft berm located at 110 yd . 200 gr bullets faster didn't help . Holding velocity to 1050 fps was an improvement. The loads for the RBH on a Texas hog hunt we're a no-go for this because while they were great at 4000-5500' MSL they were going trans-sonic from about 1250 fps at 800' MSL in Texas under 30 yd . The 850 fps "cowboy" loads in the 7.5" RBH clocked 1025-1070 and were fine from both the 18" 2016 and 20" 1986 rifles . Killed 5 hogs 125-165# from powder burn to 50 yd . The calm walking grousing about hogs dropped in a heap . Penetration was only 2-3' through the live hogs .

The 1-32" twists in the Rossi M92's don't like the cross over coming down from super sonic . Keep it subsonic and it's all good .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master
    All three of my Rossi 92 carbines have a 1 in 30" twist. One is older, and two are relatively new. I don't think they ever offered their model 92 with any other rifling twist, but I could be wrong.

The .44 Rossi 92s have barrels made to SAAMI .44 mag rifle specs. This means .431" + .002" groove diameter. Or put another way, .431 - .433" groove diameter. So yes, you'll see some variation within that range, and it'll still be within spec. Where this can be problematic for cast bullet shooters is when they size to .429" or .430". So no, the short answer is that the .44 carbine bores don't vary a lot--the issue is that the groove diameter is larger than they expect, and sometimes that results in poorly phrased complaints on various forums.

So when it comes to the .45 Colt Rossi 92s, they also have barrels that adhere to SAAMI specs, and bullets sized .452" should work just fine in them. While I don't have a .45 Colt Rossi, I do have one in .454 Casull. All my bullets are sized to .452" and very accurate out to 100 yards (I'm sure even farther than that, but I haven't tried shooting longer distances with it).

If you get the opportunity, I would highly recommend you look for a .454 Casull Rossi. While you may never shoot much .454 ammo through it, it will still shoot .45 Colt ammo beautifully, and it will handle the heavier stuff with ease if you ever find a need for it.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaMike View Post
    All three of my Rossi 92 carbines have a 1 in 30" twist. One is older, and two are relatively new. I don't think they ever offered their model 92 with any other rifling twist, but I could be wrong.

The .44 Rossi 92s have barrels made to SAAMI .44 mag rifle specs. This means .431" + .002" groove diameter. Or put another way, .431 - .433" groove diameter. So yes, you'll see some variation within that range, and it'll still be within spec. Where this can be problematic for cast bullet shooters is when they size to .429" or .430". So no, the short answer is that the .44 carbine bores don't vary a lot--the issue is that the groove diameter is larger than they expect, and sometimes that results in poorly phrased complaints on various forums.

So when it comes to the .45 Colt Rossi 92s, they also have barrels that adhere to SAAMI specs, and bullets sized .452" should work just fine in them. While I don't have a .45 Colt Rossi, I do have one in .454 Casull. All my bullets are sized to .452" and very accurate out to 100 yards (I'm sure even farther than that, but I haven't tried shooting longer distances with it).

If you get the opportunity, I would highly recommend you look for a .454 Casull Rossi. While you may never shoot much .454 ammo through it, it will still shoot .45 Colt ammo beautifully, and it will handle the heavier stuff with ease if you ever find a need for it.
    For the paragraph I bolded, well written and said. And I'll have to raise my hand and admit to not knowing what to expect as I pursued shooting cast boolits in mine and I have offered up my share of whining. I just loaded some cast boolit loads yesterday (sized to .4344") and I am looking forward to see how they do (after Ian passes through).
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oley55 View Post
    For the paragraph I bolded, well written and said. And I'll have to raise my hand and admit to not knowing what to expect as I pursued shooting cast boolits in mine and I have offered up my share of whining. I just loaded some cast boolit loads yesterday (sized to .4344") and I am looking forward to see how they do (after Ian passes through).
    No worries! I bought my .44 model 92 about 20 years ago and had a heck of a time figuring out why it would shoot jacketed okay but wouldn't shoot my .429" cast bullets worth a darn. It took me forever to figure out what the real issue was, and I came very close to selling it a couple of times out of frustration.

Once I found out about the different SAAMI spec for rifle vs. handgun, all was good, and I'm very glad I held onto it!

I have an NRA grand slam in lever gun silhouette with my rossi 92 in 45 Colt

Shooting trail boss powder behind Lee boolets

Boolit Bub
    I have a ross 92 357 made in about 2017, bought it about 3 years ago. bought a winchester 94 ae in 44 mag recently 400 each. the Rossi is the better rifle of the two. slicked up the action on the Rossi, lighter ejector spring, all good

I got the Rossi trigger pull at about 2 lbs, buy putting a shim under the main spring. cut off the end of a .012" feeler gauge. I shoot only cast in 357 cases. works great.

The win. is a centennial trapper. It does feed my 429421's well in mag cases, but I hate the rebounding hammer and cross bolt safety. Ditched the safety, waiting on a complete lower tang I bought to convert to half cock. The Rossi just feels tighter all around

Anyone try xtp bullets
    In the 30 twist barrel. 357
    keep on rolling along.no matter what happens just keep rolling

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by agcannon View Post
    I have a ross 92 357 made in about 2017, bought it about 3 years ago. bought a winchester 94 ae in 44 mag recently 400 each. the Rossi is the better rifle of the two. slicked up the action on the Rossi, lighter ejector spring, all good

I got the Rossi trigger pull at about 2 lbs, buy putting a shim under the main spring. cut off the end of a .012" feeler gauge. I shoot only cast in 357 cases. works great.

The win. is a centennial trapper. It does feed my 429421's well in mag cases, but I hate the rebounding hammer and cross bolt safety. Ditched the safety, waiting on a complete lower tang I bought to convert to half cock. The Rossi just feels tighter all around
    i'm thinking about getting a rossi 357... seems like it would be a fun gun to plink some steel with.

The XTPs shoot great, the 158 XTP anyway. I don't use light bullets, all of my loads are 158 and 180.

The 1-30" twist will "barely" stabilize the 180 MBC Pugnose. 90% full power loads keyholed the 180s badly.
    I then worked up to a max load of Lil' Gun and they were stable.

That max load with the 180 coated WFN shoots fantastic in my 4 inch M66.

Quote Originally Posted by MSUICEMAN View Post
    i'm thinking about getting a rossi 357... seems like it would be a fun gun to plink some steel with.
    I have a carbine in 357 magnum. It’s a great gun and fun to shoot at steel.

Boolit Master
    I've got a 357. It is very picky. But if you give it what it wants it is outstanding. Mine loves powder coated wad cutters seated long. That load has given me clover leaf's at 50 yards.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wad.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	43.6 KB 
ID:	305496