RotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackboxTitan Reloading
Load DataSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingWideners
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Which Blackhawk?

Boolit Buddy

Which Blackhawk?

I think I want to pursue 45 colt “Magnum-ising”, I want to start the hunt for a Blackhawk in 45 colt. What model should I pursue??
    👍🏼

I would go with a bisley grip frame. They sure help me with mitigating the recoil. Here is my 45 colt hunting revolver.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Boolit Master

This one it is already Magnum-ised for you. https://lipseysguns.com/ruger-super-...ey-454-casull/
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

I have the large frame BH in .45 Colt. Mid-range loads using a 275 grain swc or rnfp will do what need I need for whitetails. I have a Burris Red Dot on mine. hc18flyer

Boolit Master
    I have been around handguns, recoil, handloading, & especially folks who think they have to have the most powerful load or whatever in their guns. One thing they fail to accept is accuracy is the most important thing. A bullet with all the power in the world isn't worth squat if it fails to hit the target.
    Many, many, many handguns in the .44 magnum caliber were sold in the 70's & 80's due to Clint Eastwoods statement about being the most powerful handgun in the world. When many of these guns were re-sold,, it was often with a box or two of ammo,, this only 6 rounds missing.
    Throw in the fact that many GOOD handgunners will tell you that lots of heavy recoiling handguns can & will influence your health later in life. (Just ask John Taffin.) Shooting heavy "loudenkickinboomers" may seem like fun,, and all, but accuracy trumps all.

Now,, I say this,, NOT to upset the OP,, but more to point out that if power is necessary,, fine,, just make sure you can handle it & be accurate with it.

That said, I'll say that the Bisley grip frame,, in the regular Blackhawk is what can handle the "Ruger/TC Only" loads.

And as noted above,, getting the 5 shot .454 Super Blackhawk is the strongest platform for the .45 caliber bullets.

Boolit Grand Master
    I can attest to what "contender1" says about heavy recoiling pistols and health. Probably put at least 35 thousand rounds thru my M29 and SBH combined. The 44 Smith is pretty loose and had to put a new hammer in the SBH. Some heavy 44 spcl and some full on 44 mags, not to mention my 308 XP100 in IHMSA. Bit of carpal tunnel in my hand now from all that 35-45 years ago!!

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Mine was a Bicentennial New Model BlackHawk 45 Colts 7.5" .

I don't know about mitigation of recoil but I prefer the "SAA" style with a Pachmar grip . About 1200 fps with a 265 gr bullet it'll pull the base pin out and anything over a 250-265 past 1100 fps wasn't fun to shoot a bunch of in an afternoon. At 1050 a257 gr 454424 will plow through 2" of pig at 50 yd and 3' inside 25 yd .

I don't know what you're exact plan is but the 1050 fps load out of the 7.5" barrel is only .5 gr Unique maybe over a max load for Colts .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

I have a Blackhawk (.357 convertible) and a SBH (.44 mag.). If I had it to do over, I think I would have gone with the more traditional looking Vaqueros. For me it all depends on the look you are after.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Chainsaw. View Post
    I think I want to pursue 45 colt “Magnum-ising”, I want to start the hunt for a Blackhawk in 45 colt. What model should I pursue??
    Imho, the "model" is nowhere's important as the "fit" to your hand -- particularly the KNUCKLES on your shooting hand's fingers! I have a very strong love-hate relationship with Rugers -- my love for their reliability, strength, potential accuracy, long life... and even for most, their looks. HOWEVER -- the focus of my reply to your post, on several it appears to me that the distance from the trigger guard's rear to the grip's front is a wee bit too small. (This may be JUST for my hand?)
    Anyhoos -- I have had a couple of Rugers which, albeit I loved them, I sent down the road (trades ) solely because my focus in shooting, by necessity, became NOT getting my knuckles beat by recoil!!!
    Again -- vis "models" -- I have yet to see a Ruger which was/is not a great choice. However -- whichever you elect -- you may wish to actually shoot a few (even snap-caps) before your purchase. For me, I have an "Old model" Vaquero .45 Colt which fits the bill.
    BEST!
    geo

The Hunter models have heavier barrels with the cuts for Ruger rings. It would give you the option of a scope or red dot with no modification to the gun.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    Darn, I thought you were talking about the Sikorsky helicopter.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

Boolit Master
    "Darn, I thought you were talking about the Sikorsky helicopter."

This is a gun forum,, not an aviation forum.

Boolit Grand Master
    For intentionally pushing the pressure envelope, you will want one of the large frame models; either Blackhawk or Vaquero.

Personally, I would go with the adjustable sighted Blackhawk.

Robert

Boolit Master
    The frame really isn't the limit. 6shot cylinders have the bolt notch over the chamber making a thin spot. That's why the heavier cartridges are done on 5 shot cylinders.

I was like above. I like the BH and loaded it heavy. The trigger guard would 'rap' my knuckle, sometimes enough to draw blood. The Pachmyer grip solves that, but, I thought it was ugly, as were several of the aftermarket grips. Bisely might solve it. But, I was offered a good price for mine so it went down the road.

Sent from my SM-P580 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Years ago I broke the aluminum grip frame off my 7.5” blued 45 Colt Blackhawk.
    The aluminum grip frame is very thin in cross section.
    I was driving some 300 grain boolits 1250-1300 fps when it broke.

I got a brass grip frame from a gentleman on this forum and fit it.
    The brass grip frame really improved the looks. It also added some weight. And most of all some strength.

So I’d advise to go with a stainless gun. They have stainless steel grip frames and are very strong.
    Or, get a blued steel grip frame. The Super Blackhawks come with blued steel grip frames that are also 1/4” longer than the standard Blackhawk grip frame. Or, get a brass grip frame.
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

As an alternative to having to choose between the standard grip frame and the Bisley grip frame, you can also look at aftermarket grips.
    The Herrett style grips that fill the space behind the trigger guard on the standard grip frame. They look great, too, with their nice checkering and subtle thumb rest.
    And, of course, there's always Goodyear, uhh I mean Pachmayr grips. They do work...