Snyders JerkyLoad DataWidenersRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionRepackboxInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Uberti SAA barrel swap.

Boolit Buddy

Uberti SAA barrel swap.

I’m curious how hard this will be? Is it something I can do myself, I’m fairly handy lol.

I’ve got an older Uberti saa in 44/40 with 7 1/2” and I’d like to get a 4 5/8 or 5 1/2 on it. I’ve found a few new Uberti 44/40 barrels and a couple used Colt barrels.

Or would it be better to cut or have it cut to the length, then have a sight installed? Maybe have it dovetailed like the colt custom shop used to do?

Any input is greatly appreciated.
    “You’ve got to slow down to be fast” - Dad

Boolit Buddy
    Paying to shorten a barrel and relocate the sight might be less cost effective than selling the present weapon and replacing it with another.

If were doing this (which I wouldn't) I would first make sure I could get a factory replacement barrel. I assume single action revolvers are like Smith and Wessons, in that a specialized frame wrench should be used to unscrew the frame from the barrel, while the latter is held by appropriate blocks in a heavy vise. DA revolver frames have been traditionally unscrewed by inserting a hammer handle through the cylinder window---which is also a traditional way to bend the frame.

Those reading the above comments should know that no one will ever mistake me for a gunsmith.

Boolit Mold
    Indexing the barrel is the "big deal." You may be lucky and the front sight will end pointed up. In the past I've replaced two barrels on revolvers without a lathe but I would not do so again.

Boolit Buddy
    Also not noted is after the factory barrel is installed, the barrel and cylinder gap must be
    cut.
    You need a special end cutter to set that gap.

Everything considered, since you don't want to change calibers and the barrel is otherwise good, cutting it off would be the logical choice. The barrel will need to be re-crowned. Installing a new, higher, front sight can be done in several ways, but you might look into silver soldering on a ramp such as is found on the Ruger Blackhawk. In any event, make it high enough that you can file it down a bit if needed.

DG

Vendor Sponsor

Honestly? Just get another shorter SAA! Too good of an excuse not to buy another gun

Anytime you shorten or swap a barrel onto a SA frame, you have to contend with clocking the barrel so the ejector rod screw lines up, and shortening the ER housing if need be. This is actually more critical than the front sight. A sight has numerous ways it can be replaced but you are committed in stone with the ER screw!
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Seems to me that if the barrel is not removed from the revolver for the shortening project none of the objections about clocking, screw holes, barrel/cylinder gap apply. Simple operation to cut off and re-crown the barrel. Finding top dead center for the new sight is easy enough, and the only real skill is to solder on a new sight. However, it is true that buying a gun with the desired length barrel might be the preferred option if you have to pay a gunsmith to make the proposed alteration.

DG

You know, if you screw it up, you can always buy another one, they still make them.
    Not the answer you're looking for, but when you start messing with things there is always that chance.
    Been there, done that.

Boolit Master
    Doug guy is right. I have made that conversion and it did not go well. My avatar was my conversion. It was originally a 32-20 which I did not like. I wanted a 44spl. I bought a barrel and cylinder from Colt. It was easy to do back then. The problem was the barrel was 7 & 1/2 inches long and I wanted a 4 & 5/8. I paid a gun shop to cut the barrel and re-install the front sight. Well, the stud that holds the ejector rod didn't line up and they did not do a very neat job on the front sight. The worst part is the pistol shoots about a foot high at 25 yards. To say, it didn't well is an understatement. Let the factory do it.
    Last edited by GOPHER SLAYER; 09-27-2022 at 06:45 PM.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Buddy
    O Darn!! Lol I may just have to scrounge the funds for a different saa.

I could swap this one off on a shorter one but I’d hate to let this one go lol. I was wanting to just swap the barrel or have it shortened because I don’t have much in this one. I have room to “waste” some cash on it. Its a very sweet shooter now, but it was about as bad as I’ve ever seen when I got it.

I got it on a trade for about nothing cause it had problems. It had an “action job” done by some clown who knows less about SAAs than I know about mars. Drawing the hammer back was gritty, the trigger pull was so light if you coughed it would go off. Then instead of a cylinder drag line the bolt had formed a trench around the cylinder. Taken down the parts looked like they’d been filed on with an old horseshoeing rasp.

It took a lot of time, patience, reading and learning, but I finally got a new trigger, hammer, hand and bolt fit to this one. I got the action very smooth and breaks about 4-4.5lbs but crisp with NO creep and the timing about as perfect as you could ask for.

But if you all think it’s best, I guess I could start the hunt for an additional saa clone lol
    “You’ve got to slow down to be fast” - Dad

Boolit Master
    Wise decision.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    Honestly? Just get another shorter SAA! Too good of an excuse not to buy another gun

+1

this is the answer

NRA LIFE Member

USPSA/IPSC

Boolit Buddy
    many years ago I replaced a 7.5" barrel on an Uberti made Cimarron Custer, or 7th cav., or something like that. When I say "I replaced" I mean I sent the shooter to 'Bozeman Arms' Tom Sargis, along with a 4.75" barrel I got from Cimarron. The gap was tight, shot mostly to the POA and I dont remember the price being unreasonable. Easy peasy. Since then I had him change calibers on a Colt SAA that I fought for 30 (?) years .434+ throats, .427 groove, .44 spec. Now a lovely shooting .45 Colt. No drama transaction. Just a thought.

Boolit Grand Master
    I would have that gun cut to the desired length and the sight re-attached. There is no need then to worry about matching ejector housing screws or anything like that.

Of course, buying another one also would work
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

I would enjoy that gun as is and buy another to play gunfighter with.