RotoMetals2WidenersInline FabricationReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingRepackboxLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hmmmm, which one

Boolit Grand Master

Hmmmm, which one

I know some have more than 1 firearm
    Do you have troubles deciding which 1 to use during the season?
    I have for the last few years had this affliction can't decide which 1 to use
    Do you know without a doubt which rifle you are going to use?
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Buddy

I base my decision on where I'm hunting and what Im going after.

When hunting open fields I will use my Rem 700 in 7mm-08.

If I'm in open woods I will have the 7mm-08 and a T/C Contender in 7x30 Waters. Shots might be up to and beyond 200 yards.

In woods with shots 150 and closer I might have the Contender 7x30 and a Mini Sharps in 38-55 with open sights.

Denser wood I may have the Mini Sharps 38-55 and a Ruger Red Hawk open sights in 44 mag.
    Or a Marlin 30/30 with open sights and a Contender in 44 mag. scoped.

Combinations also alter between weather I'm after a trophy buck or chasing does for the freezer.ú

Boolit Master
    It'll be either .308 or 8mm Mauser. In .308, it'll be either my NM M1A, or the bolt action. My only 8mm is bolt action (with original military stock, optimized for soldiers averaging 4' 9" in height). Both it AND the .308 bolt action kick significantly more than the M1A or L1A1, which is only a factor if I am hunting multiple game animals.
    I keep TELLING myself that I need something in between my .223s and my .308s, but it hasn't happened yet. Maybe soon.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

My guns are all scoped, for the open heart surgery, the recovery and after, decided to ride fence with the 6mm Mongoose or 6mm GPC. The Mongoose is a 223 base cat, the GPC is a 6.8 SPC based cat. They reduce the recoil to the chest muscles. I built two light weight rifles before the surgery.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

44-40 or 38-55 in the woods, 30-30 or 30-06 in the open. And a 6.8 SPC at the hoggish lease. And a .223 after season for permit does....
    Yes, it's hard to pick which one.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master
    My choices are simple. .308 or .308. One is the snob gun.... Model 70 Coyote. One is the TC Compass.

The Compass normally gets picked.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    I just sold 5 on gunbroker trying to make things easier, but bought 2 more while selling the other 5 & looking for another.

Boolit Buddy
    I am pretty sure that I will be using my tc encore with an MGM 357 maximum barrel.
    Last year I dropped two does at 125 and 220 yds DRT. I did use the Speer 170 gr pistol bullet JSFP.
    This year I like to try the NOE 182gr gc fp boolit.
    I will have the 35 Whelen and the 7mm-08 tc encore barrel depending where I go hunting.
    Btw, I do have the same dilema as you do. I just have not killed a deer with cast boolits using my 357 macimum yet so I need to give it a try.
    Camba

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The terrain where I'm hunting dictates which gun I chose, weather that be short, medium, or a long range shot is anticipated. The OP didn't say what we're hunting for.
    Deplorable infidel

I know which one I wouldn't be using, the .40 bore muzzleloader with the 16" twist barrel.
    In this state the regulators think a 300 plus grain paper patched soft lead bullet over 70 grains of FFg won't kill their deer.

Boolit Master

What ever I feel like as I am going out the door.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    7600, 30-06! My dad bought it for me in 84’ from Kmart. Didn’t use it last for the 2nd time since it was bought for me because the Leupold was defective and it as out of IMR4831 which I used for the loading. Leupold VX7 2-10 is on and zeroed as of last week and a buddy gave me a pound of IMR4831 last month he never used. It’s a wonder why I own so many fire arms when only one goes with me in the deer woods.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    7600, 30-06! My dad bought it for me in 84’ from Kmart.
    I have a .30-06 760- also bought for me by my Dad at Kmart. But mine was in 1977. I have a number of rifles I hunt deer with, but that's "My Deer Rifle".

This year I'll be using a .350 Legend with a Lee 200 RFN or a .480 Ruger SRH with a BABore 380gr HP. I like trying different guns.

Good luck! Be safe!

John

Boolit Master
    .224 centrefire for small/medium game....the heavy one if hunting from truck or short farm walk.the stupidly light one if its a big walk up hills
    the .270 for red deer/pigs
    the .45/70 just for grins n giggles

for years it was just the .270...then got .223 for wallabies and its accounted for a dozen pigs and at least half a dozen deer as I had it in hands when they popped up.

Banned
    i try to give my rifles at least one day every deer season, but it's usually the 30-40 Krag, 9.3x57 or the 35/30-30.

Boolit Master
    I keep it simple, .270 Winchester for the open country and the 7.62x39 for the thicker stuff

Boolit Master
    I plan on using a 38-55 & a 375 win. 250gr cast PC'd for deer & bear, & a few Yotes & Bobcats. They are destroying the Turkey population, along with the coons & egg robbing Crows.

Boolit Buddy
    Was contemplating the same question lately. If I get in a bind and grab and go it would have to be 1898 Krag Sporter with 309-200-1R and RB for small game and M98 8X57 Sporter with Nosler 180gr Ballistic tips for backup because loads for these are on the shelf. But a few others I'd love to hunt with: birth year 1954 M94 32 Win Special with 32-170-FN, 1884 Trapdoor Sporter and 459-405-HB, 1952 336SC 35 Rem and 35-200-FN, and the little 1982 1894C that loves the Hornady 180gr XTP. Deer camp is 4hrs from home so I only take two. Tough choices.

This year if I hunt, on the back porch might should use something that doesn't pass through and keep on going.
    Ah, yes, the .61 bore Hawken flintlock.

Boolit Buddy
    In my shoes. And where ever they take me.
    I only use a Savage edge 308. I dont take the expensive ones on bike rides...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast