Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2WidenersReloading Everything
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading

Thread: .45 auto - roll crimp die?

Boolit Mold

.45 auto - roll crimp die?

Morning all,

Had a question that was posed the other day at the range...did they ever make a roll crimp die for .45 auto/auto rim? If such a critter was made, how hard are they to find these days?

Got a Modern Bond mold that's set up for .45 auto, the crimp groove looks like it's set for a roll crimper, hence my curiosity...

Thanks for your help,
    Tom

Boolit Buddy
    I have an RCBS 45auto/AR roll crimp die. Also the standard Lee crimp die that comes in the 3die set will roll crimp if adjusted to do so.

It shouldn’t be roll crimped if the ammo is to used in a Auto. It head spaces off the shell mouth.
    “You’ve got to slow down to be fast” - Dad

Boolit Mold
    Sounds good, looks like I'll have to keep an eye out for the RCBS roll crimp die then, is that an older one by any chance?

Good deal on the LEE die sets, that's good to know.

Many thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelgun View Post
    It shouldn’t be roll crimped if the ammo is to used in a Auto. It head spaces off the shell mouth.
    yep

I would only roll crimp if it's going into a revolver

NRA LIFE Member

USPSA/IPSC

Boolit Mold
    Makes sense, I'll try to track down one of those roll crimp dies for my 1917, normal 1911 works just fine with the taper crimp!

Thanks guys!

Boolit Master
    My early 1970's RCBS 45acp die set came with a roll crimp die. I used it for years with good results with cast bullets in the auto and revolver. That being said, in most situations, a taper crimp is the prefered one for the auto, and roll crimp for the revolver. My progressive loader came with a taper crimp, so that's what I use now for the auto. I still use the roll crimp for the auto rim.

REDDING

copy pasted midwayusa from my iphone

Redding Profile Crimp Die 45 ACP, 45 Auto Rim

Product #: 124288
    Manufacturer #: 86189

This die applies a roll crimp to rimmed pistol cases.
    THESE DIES ARE NOT FOR CARTRIDGES THAT HEAD-SPACE ON THE CASE MOUTH

NRA LIFE Member

USPSA/IPSC

My circa 2000 RCBS 45 acp carbides came with the roll crimp. I just bought the RCBS taper crimp die cause I was having feed problems in my Kimber & Colts 1911's. Been going on for a while (since 2000) but never thought to check the crimp. My defense is I traded my 45 acp steel dies for the carbides.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

My set is from the 70's and it is a roll crimp. the box has the older yellow label. I got the set used and it scratches the cases like crazy so I bought the Lee set. Good dies for a reasonable price.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    My steel Lyman set is also packaged 45 ACP/AR and will apply both a roll or taper crimp .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Buddy
    Same here got the ole steel die sets no carbide. scratches oh my.
    45 ACP, 44 Mag, 38/357 back in 70's
    Bought a CH Tool & Die (CH4D now) Taper crimp

RCBS sells roll crimp die also.

Taper crimp all my Semi-auto 45acp, very rarely roll crimp unless for
    a revolver, but mostly taper

-Rock

A bullet seating die for a .45 LC will work.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    I load for both and use a taper crimp die haven't had any problems.

Boolit Mold
    I like that Redding die, might grab one of those here, will add that to the "list" here..

I've had excellent luck with my RCBS taper die set, so far they've never let me down...good to know that there are plenty of options out there!

Many thanks for all the feedback gents,
    Tom

Boolit Master
    I'm not suggesting roll crimping .45 ACP, but it works fine if done properly. Roll crimping of this cartridge was quite popular at one time. There is a comprehensive .45 ACP accuracy article in the NRA cast bullet book written by Alton Dinan, Jr., one of the top 1911 pistolsmiths of his era. He suggests using a roll crimp. I had a Star loader set up in .45 ACP. It came with a roll crimp seater rather than a taper crimp die.

Quote Originally Posted by lotech View Post
    I'm not suggesting roll crimping .45 ACP, but it works fine if done properly. Roll crimping of this cartridge was quite popular at one time. There is a comprehensive .45 ACP accuracy article in the NRA cast bullet book written by Alton Dinan, Jr., one of the top 1911 pistolsmiths of his era. He suggests using a roll crimp. I had a Star loader set up in .45 ACP. It came with a roll crimp seater rather than a taper crimp die.
    This is quite true. I have only had RCBS and Lyman 45 ACP dies and they both came with a roll crimp seater. Folks like to say that the ACP case headspaces on the case mouth, but in reality it does not. Take a empty sized case and drop it in a 1911 chamber and see just how far it does in before hitting the end of the chamber. It will make you wonder if the firing pin will reach the primer. The loaded round case head is held, more or less, against the slide breech face by the extractor, making the type of crimp irrelevant. The purpose of the crimp is to push the case mouth in so it won't snag on the feed ramp and chamber mouth on it's way into full battery.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master

Been using the Redding .45 Auto Rim profile crimp to roll crimp my ACP/AR revolver rounds since the 90's. It works great and gives a nice firm crimp for bullets that have a crimp groove.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for the feedback here fellas, does anyone know the title of the referenced book written by the late Alton Dinan, or have a copy of the article they could scan/send to me? I'd like to read that one if it's around. . .

Ordered in the Redding profile crimp die, very excited to see it show up here!!