MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyReloading EverythingLoad Data
Titan ReloadingWidenersLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Repackbox RotoMetals2

Thread: Here's an Odd One

Boolit Master

Here's an Odd One

The Hensley & Gibbs 79 31. Found it at a gun show recently and took it home thinking it was perhaps a gas-check express boolit for hot, +P+ self-defense loads for the .32 S&W or Colt Short.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	H&G 79 31.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	28.5 KB 
ID:	310239

However, on researching the numbers, I find it was made as a boolit for .31 caliber cap&ball revolvers. What I thought was a "gas check shank" is a taper allowing it easy entry into the chambers. They made a .36 caliber version and then cut a cherry for this version in 1944. I can't imagine that they wore that one out; what kind of demand for boolits for obsolete pocket revolvers would there be in the postwar era?

I usually don't like calling bullets "pills," but if ever one deserved the name, it's this one.

Maybe I ought to dust off my ASM Baby Dragoon and wring them out.

Boolit Master
    I wonder if it might work in .32 ACP. I guess the right sizer would be the issue.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

#79 - "For Cap and Ball Revolvers" (Percussion). Available in .31 cal, .36 cal. and .44 cal. First cherry made February, 1941. The.36 cal version .375 length=95 grains pure lead, the .44 cal version .450 length= 150grains pure lead. Made to take the place of a round ball, for better sealing of chamber. Taper base. Two deep grease grooves, slight semi wadcutter shoulder, round nose. First .31 caliber cherry made June 25, 1944.

https://www.hensleygibbs.com/casting...uld%20List.htm
    N.R.A. Life Member

Boolit Master

Dixie Gunworks back in the 1970 to 1980's used to carry a .31 Cap and Ball Pocket and "Sherrifs Model if my memory is correct.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Grand Master

Sounds like the perfect excuse to get that nifty little Uberti 1849 Pocket 31 cal. Cap & Ball revolver or maybe the
    Uberti 1849 Wells Fargo pocket model ... they are both ...SWEET !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    Sounds like the perfect excuse to get that nifty little Uberti 1849 Pocket 31 cal. Cap & Ball revolver or maybe the
    Uberti 1849 Wells Fargo pocket model ... they are both ...SWEET !
    Gary
    I've got the Wells Fargo (no loading lever) model. If you plan to shoot it as a C&B gun, get the one with a loading lever.

Nice to shoot, nice to carry, PITA to load. A great candidate for a cartridge conversion though, one of these years.

Robert