Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionWidenersTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything

Thread: If she could only talk

If she could only talk

On the wall at the bar at Motshwere outfitters in Limpopo province Republic of South Africa. Carried by a Boer in the Boer war. It obviously started life as a long Lee Enfield but switched sides and was modified to be used by someone on horseback.

South African law requires her to be welded up if she is not in a safe. She will never speak again.

If you have not heard of the Boer war it is worth reading up on. Short version a bunch of citizen soldiers kicked the dog snot out of the most powerful empire on the planet for several months before numbers and resources turned the tide. Women and children were forcibly removed from their homes and put behind barbed wire in unsanitary conditions where many died. The Queen's passing was not mourned by everyone in South Africa.

Sorry for the poor quality of the pic but the glare was a bear.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master

That picture says a lot.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master

yes. the Brit's (English) are credited with inventing the concentration camp in South Africa during the Boer war. Rule 303.

Boolit Master
    Just another shining example of how the "Civilized" can and will show their Barbarism. Zero trust of the double tongued!

Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcocker View Post
    The Queen's passing was not mourned by everyone in South Africa.

No idea why she was mourned anywhere. Just finished the book on the sinking of the Lusitania, about 3/4 through the book Guns of August, the telling of the first month of WW1. The whole bloody bunch of royalty on all sides was completely nuts and a few million dead was nothing to those people. Cannon fodder because the Kaiser/King/Czar was insulted? It was their duty! The must go joyously!

And she was directly related to to virtually all the players on both sides. It wasn't until much later that the royalty got sort of a conscience about killing off millions for THEIR honor.

The only thing that is nuts is the law that requires the rifle to be destroyed to be displayed. What a crime.
    I learned of the Boers and the Voortrekkers back in the day, and watched "Breaker Moran". The British Empire did many things wrong, and many things right, like we did here in the US. if you don't like the monarchy, you might remember the British Empire has been a constitutional monarchy since 1649, and one hewing to democratic norms in voting since 1832. Elizabeth II was Queen, but she did not rule - Parliment and the Prime Minister did. Sa,e as King Charles III will be no more than an expensive figurehead.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcocker View Post
    On the wall at the bar at Motshwere outfitters in Limpopo province Republic of South Africa. Carried by a Boer in the Boer war. It obviously started life as a long Lee Enfield but switched sides and was modified to be used by someone on horseback.

South African law requires her to be welded up if she is not in a safe. She will never speak again.

If you have not heard of the Boer war it is worth reading up on. Short version a bunch of citizen soldiers kicked the dog snot out of the most powerful empire on the planet for several months before numbers and resources turned the tide. Women and children were forcibly removed from their homes and put behind barbed wire in unsanitary conditions where many died. The Queen's passing was not mourned by everyone in South Africa.

Sorry for the poor quality of the pic but the glare was a bear.

Thumbcocker,

Thank you for the trip down memory lane. Every time I handle any of my collection, I wonder where that gun has been and the rest of the story.

Welding up an inoffensive historical artifact is a crime! The Brits pride themselves on banning slavery in GB in 1815 and then hauled boatloads of slaves all over the world. Where did GB get its mandate to enslave India until 1947? For 190 years (1757 until 1947) GB allowed Indians to be their servants in India. India was Victoria's "Jewel in the Crown." Apparently, the India citizens' ballots were NOT counted.

Adam
    Last edited by Adam Helmer; 09-25-2022 at 07:08 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Have LE1 1902, mine had been shortened to decrease the sight radius to match the NO1 MK3 for range duties,my barrel was toast so I fitted a no1 mk3 (H) target bbl.they time up fine and shoot really well.( it was found by shortening the long Tom bbl the benefits of a heavier one improved the performance of the 1 mk3 for target shooting.) I retained the no3 front sight and fitted a windage adjustable no 3 rear.on a good day it is shooting 1/12”-2” @ 100 yds with cast. Much fun. Cheers Mal in au. BTW these have a single stage trigger and mine has the dust cover on the bolt.

Boolit Grand Master

Everyone done virtue signaling yet?
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    Virtue signaling? Welded up and in a box, please see above, "I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled"?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 15meter View Post
    No idea why she was mourned anywhere. Just finished the book on the sinking of the Lusitania, about 3/4 through the book Guns of August, the telling of the first month of WW1. The whole bloody bunch of royalty on all sides was completely nuts and a few million dead was nothing to those people. Cannon fodder because the Kaiser/King/Czar was insulted? It was their duty! The must go joyously!

And she was directly related to to virtually all the players on both sides. It wasn't until much later that the royalty got sort of a conscience about killing off millions for THEIR honor.
    Maybe because she wasn't the Queen during WWI. She wasn't even born until 1926. She wasn't responsible for WWII, either, as she became Queen in 1952. She, in fact, may well be the one who made a conscience something Royals should have. NOT perfect, but a sight better than even her father.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrounge View Post
    Maybe because she wasn't the Queen during WWI. She wasn't even born until 1926. She wasn't responsible for WWII, either, as she became Queen in 1952. She, in fact, may well be the one who made a conscience something Royals should have. NOT perfect, but a sight better than even her father.
    Um, he's speaking of Queen Victoria, not Elizabeth II.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

I was speaking of any of the royals. When I sit at my gun club and watch an hour and a half of a plane sitting on the tarmac waiting to unload the coffin it is over the top. It was on two screens. Go out, shoot a line of skeet and come back in, it's still there, different angle, shoot another line, get a different angle on the plane.

If we want to virtue signal, let's talk about this generation of royal's who are now "green". How many hundred centuries would I have to ride a bicycle instead of drive my pickup to make up for that CO-2 fest?

Go to gun club #2 in SE Michigan on the same day to shoot sporting clays and see the flag at half mast. Michigan?

I am fully aware that she was not alive when WW1 happened. I am fully aware that her family was fully involved ON ALL SIDES during WW1. The royals have been killing their subjects for more centuries than I have fingers and toes. If not that specific family, other royalty with the same "in the name of god"!

And a minor detail, I was not referring to Queen Victoria, she was dead for 13 years before her grandson Willy, AKA the Kaiser, started WW1. Family Feud on the big stage, Willy VS King George V and the Czar.

Family Feud? Say what?

They were first cousins. Willy, George and Nicholas.

There's even a rumor that Queenie died in her favorite grandson, Willy's arms. I never verified that, sounds too much like an innerweb fable. But it wouldn't surprise me.

That was the most important thing that happened on the planet for 10 days?

Boolit Master
    All the "STUFF" aside, neat old rifle and yes indeed if it could tell it's story. Pull the bolt, check the bore, disassemble and scrub, rub and love. Then figure out how I am going to make it go boom again. That's what I see there!

Boolit Buddy
    I have a 7mm 1893 Mauser stamped "OVS" which are the initials for the Boer's Orange Free State (in Dutch).
    That will be a retirement project someday to get it shooting with cast boolits.