Size:	62.5 KB 
ID:	309077

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20230110_211842_resized.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	104.3 KB 
ID:	309078

Boolit Master

If a person really needed one, what would they search for? If you are going to recommend something, it would be good to let those that don't know, what it is you are recommending.
    Last edited by ulav8r; 01-12-2023 at 01:58 AM. Reason: correcting a typo
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Quote Originally Posted by ulav8r View Post
    If a person really needed one, what would they search for? If you are going to recommend something, it would be good to let those that don't know, what it is you are recommending.
    Post #42 is a vintage priming press from The Reloading Clinic in Minnesota. Hasn't been made in, I suspect decades, it's extremely cool if you like Rube Goldbergish contraptions. The suggestion to look for one was intended to be tongue in check. Kind of like going on a unicorn hunt.

My personal recommendation was in post #39. RCBS bench prime. Just used mine on Monday to load some 220 Swifts and 22-250, worked as well as ever

And I do indeed have the Reloading Clinic machine, so my unicorn hunting days are over.

For now anyway.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by mdi View Post
    I have used both. I started with the Lee and it was trouble free for over a year, and at least 1,000 cases primed, then I dropped it and it landed on the corner of the shell holder slot, broke it off. Got an RCBS and was sorely surprised at the poor design. It cannot be used without a 3 1/2" riser or the handle hanging out 6" beyond the bench top edge as the handle hits the bench top way before a primer is seated. I didn't like the primer tube flopping back and forth inches from my face. It was designed before "ergonomic" was an important design aspect for hand tools. I had to build a riser for bolting the tool to my bench as it could not be used in my Rock Dock. I had to cut 2" off the handle to make the action smoother (and to keep my knuckles from bumping the bench). After my modifications the RCBS tool works, but not any better than my Lee did...

If it was painted red and had "Lee" on the side there would be thousands of complaints of a poorly designed priming tool and most would call it junk and recommend it not be used...
    This mirrors my experience as well. In addition, the RCBS tool I bought would not index the primer properly without fidgeting with the primer tube on every stroke. Junk. I had an old, original, Lee hand priming tool at the time and was able to find three more complete toools in the Swapping & Selling section. Those tools, with the round trays, are the best hand priming tools ever made, IMO. And I don't have another bench-mounted tool cluttering my workspace. I have enough of those Lee tools, and spare parts, to last me until I leave this world. No need for anything else.
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Buddy
    Rcbs

My RCBS bench priming tool is over 50 yrs old and never had an issue. Just fill the tubes and go to it. I would not be without it.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by loveruger View Post
    Witch is better in your opinion rcbs bench primer or lee primer. Iamlooking for one .
    My vote definitely goes to the RCBS. If one REALLY wants the best, Darrel Holland -- https://www.hollandguns.com/m7/H-PPS...lete-unit.html -- has a RCBS unit with awesome mods to make it, imho, the very best! I have one, and cannot say enough good about it. Oh -- I also have three plain-Jane RCBS primer tools, and have each of these with the (available from Darrel separately) SPRING which raises the handle up, making the tool an oh so much better (imho) tool. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Holland Primer Tool.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	67.3 KB 
ID:	309408

Boolit Master
    For Me?? Lee...Auto prime II or original hand primers...more than 2.... Don't cost enough to be any good...But, always work well for Me.

Only Lee tool I swear by is my ancient round-tray Autoprime. There is a Hornady version which seems better made, and I have one. Lee with the small primer punch, the Hornady with large.

Loading primers into a tube strikes me as masochistic.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Grand Master
    I still use the single feed Lee Primer Tool with screw-in shell holders. Compact, simple, and efficient. I keep one set up for each of my frequently loaded cartridges along with a box full of spares. I don't expect to find one I like better!

Speaking of primers, they seem to be coming down a little. Brownells had LPPs and SPPs by Winchester advertised for $98/1000 yesterday. Of course the vultures hit them hard and they're gone now.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123